PDA

View Full Version : Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN) to retire

Austin
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/evan-bayh-to-retire.html

I think I speak for everyone in Indiana in that no one saw this one coming. I theorize that one of the three following (potential) candidates will take his spot:

Dan Coats
Mike Pence
John Hostettler

Flash
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Wow how weird. He was the only Democrat that could really stand a chance too.

Austin
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Wow how weird. He was the only Democrat that could really stand a chance too.

Yeah, consider that seat a +1 for the Republicans.

LibertyMage
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Can we get a short write up of these three candidates?

Dan Coats
Mike Pence
John Hostettler

MelissaWV
02-15-2010, 10:00 AM
I keep noticing these "no one saw it coming" shake-ups in various states. I can't help but feel there's something deliberate going on, but I can't put my finger on it. It seems like people step down, and then others (just as groomed, but with less of a track record) step into the race. Will those that step down move on to other positions? Something about it makes me uneasy.

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy, individually, that some of these old dinosaurs are moving along... but as a collection of happenings, this whole thing seems strange.

The Patriot
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/evan-bayh-to-retire.html

I think I speak for everyone in Indiana in that no one saw this one coming. I theorize that one of the three following (potential) candidates will take his spot:

Dan Coats
Mike Pence
John Hostettler

Pence is running for sure?

If he is, he is probably the favorite. he easily has the most name recognition. he will probably be leading in the first set of polls. However, like Trey Grayson in Kentucky, he hs a chance of falling out of first if Hostettler runs a campaign like Rand has.

John Taylor
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I keep noticing these "no one saw it coming" shake-ups in various states. I can't help but feel there's something deliberate going on, but I can't put my finger on it. It seems like people step down, and then others (just as groomed, but with less of a track record) step into the race. Will those that step down move on to other positions? Something about it makes me uneasy.

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy, individually, that some of these old dinosaurs are moving along... but as a collection of happenings, this whole thing seems strange.

Bayh was the one Democrat who could keep the seat for the obomination---and now, one of our own, John Hotstettler, has a real shot.

John Taylor
02-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Pence is running for sure?

If he is, he is probably the favorite. he easily has the most name recognition. he will probably be leading in the first set of polls. However, like Trey Grayson in Kentucky, he hs a chance of falling out of first if Hostettler runs a campaign like Rand has.

Isn't the state filing deadline past?

Epic
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Look for Brad Ellsworth, who beat Hostettler in 2006, to jump in for the dems.

If Pence wanted to get in, the seat is basically his, and then maybe Hostettler could just run for his house seat again.

A candidate needs signed petitions from each of the state's Congressional Districts by tomorrow. Filing deadline Friday.

A Democratic source says that in the event of a vacancy, the state party could name a candidate later on. The source says to look at two current Democratic Congressman: Brad Ellsworth and Baron Hill.

MelissaWV
02-15-2010, 10:28 AM
From my favorite tabloid:

...Sources told Fox News that Indiana Reps. Baron Hill and Brad Ellsworth are possible Democratic contenders to vie for Bayh's vacant seat.

The retirement decision comes after Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., and Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., both announced their retirements in January. Democrats are trying to defend open seats in Delaware and Illinois as well.

Republican incumbents are abandoning seats in Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, New Hampshire and Ohio. More Senate Democratic incumbents are considered vulnerable, however.

Again, in all the party-talk, there's a strange ignoring of how many well-knowns on both sides are shifting around. It's almost like there's a concerted effort to show a new face to the same old song and dance.

LibertyMage
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Bayh was the one Democrat who could keep the seat for the obomination---and now, one of our own, John Hotstettler, has a real shot.

Can you tell me a little about Hotstettler? Doesn't seem that great.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/h000807/

Epic
02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Hostettler was against Iraq War and against Medicare Prescription drug plan in 2003.

angelatc
02-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Pence said he wasn't running. http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-pence/open-letter-to-friends-and-supporters/271331298892

itshappening
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Hostettler was against Iraq War and against Medicare Prescription drug plan in 2003.

that should be good enough for us and shows some courage going against the party line

we need him in the senate...

LibertyMage
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
From my favorite tabloid:

Again, in all the party-talk, there's a strange ignoring of how many well-knowns on both sides are shifting around. It's almost like there's a concerted effort to show a new face to the same old song and dance.

You are absolutely correct. I am sure party leadership is asking non-viable candidates to just step out. I am sure some don't want to be there in this environment. Its a pattern I have seen in most election cycles.

Krugerrand
02-15-2010, 10:47 AM
You are absolutely correct. I am sure party leadership is asking non-viable candidates to just step out. I am sure some don't want to be there in this environment. Its a pattern I have seen in most election cycles.

It looks like both parties are bracing for some big fights. The political machines will be particular and calculating about where their money goes. Some will drop out since they won't have the party's financial support. Some will be asked to drop out since it would be too risky to save them (Dodd). Some seats will be sacrificed to protect others. Think of the wholesale losses the DEMs had in 1994. They're going to invest where they can prevent that from happening again.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Pence is a big neocon, im surprised he wasnt tapped to prevent Hotstettler from potentially getting it

Pence I think is being lined up as a potential speaker or leader in congress

KCIndy
02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
I doubt very, VERY much if Pence will be running. Filing deadline aside, he has other ambitions.

I live in Pence's district, and IMHO he has his eyes on an eventual shot at Speaker of the House. He's got so much pull in the House that taking a seat as a junior Senator would be very close to a setp backward.

All that being said, I would only judge Pence as a so/so candidate. While he's conservative financially, he holds a pretty hawkish view on foreign policy. He would probably fit the definition of a neocon much easier than an old time conservative. He's definitely NOT a "Ron Paul Republican."

Personally, I would favor Hostettler. I don't agree with the guy 100%, but he did buck the Republicans by standing against the invasion of Iraq *before* we ever went in. He was against the Medicare prescription bill, and took a stance against the Republican establishment many times. He definitely has a firm understanding of the U.S. Constitution.

Dan Coats, on the other hand, is the establishment favorite for the Republicans. If this were Kentucky, Coats would be Grayson and Hostettler would be Rand Paul.

TCE
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM

Ron Paul has endorsed Hostettler.

KCIndy
02-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Erowe1 sums it up pretty well at the top of this thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=231180

erowe1
02-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Unless there's some loophole, I don't see any way Pence can get in the race now. If he did, the odds would be heavily in his favor. As it now stands the establishment has to stick with Coats.

Folks, Hostettler is one of our guys. Ron Paul personally supports his candidacy. There's already tons about him in our 2010 candidates subforum. Please check him out and get behind him.

Go here to donate:
http://johnhostettler.com/

itshappening
we must support Hostettler , what are his chances against the handpicked Washington candidate?

Austrian Econ Disciple
Ron Paul has endorsed Hostettler.

Ron Paul has also endorsed Lamar Smith. Point being?

erowe1
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM

Ron Paul didn't have to endorse Hostettler. Nobody twisted his arm like with Lamar Smith. Hostettler is in a primary against other candidates, including Dan Coats, who has the backing of the GOP establishment.

Check out Hostettler's voting record here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=222752

TCE
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM

The Incumbent Rule says hello!

erowe1
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
we must support Hostettler , what are his chances against the handpicked Washington candidate?

I think the advantage always goes to the establishment anointee. But in this case, that advantage is not a huge one. Hostettler definitely stands a very real shot at beating him.

TCE
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Anyway, the point is, anyone in Indiana should be voting for Hostettler over Coats, and if you can give him some boots on the ground, that would be awesome.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Ron Paul didn't have to endorse Hostettler. Nobody twisted his arm like with Lamar Smith. Hostettler is in a primary against other candidates, including Dan Coats, who has the backing of the GOP establishment.

Check out Hostettler's voting record here:

I realize the point. However, merely saying "Ron Paul did.." is not an objective look at any candidate. Ron Paul is a politician. He speaks in political polemics especially when it comes to candidates. If you are going to make a case for a candidate, do so objectively. That was my main thrust. I am just a little perturbed and a weee-bit tired of the "Ron Paul did..." as if everything Ron Paul does is sacrosanct. My observation. Ideas, must transcend mortality.

erowe1
02-15-2010, 11:00 AM

itshappening
02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
he says he needs signatures to geto n the ballot! does anyone have an update on his progress and is there any polling in this race? this primary is not far away and yet now is so important because the winner will basically take the senate seat

erowe1
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
I realize the point. However, merely saying "Ron Paul did.." is not an objective look at any candidate. Ron Paul is a politician. He speaks in political polemics especially when it comes to candidates. If you are going to make a case for a candidate, do so objectively. That was my main thrust. I am just a little perturbed and a weee-bit tired of the "Ron Paul did..." as if everything Ron Paul does is sacrosanct. My observation.

I agree in general.

But I think that for people who want a quick reason to decide whether or not someone out of the hundreds of politicians out there is worth their time to look into, an endorsement by Ron Paul is a good reason. This may not apply when there's a reason to think Ron Paul is giving that endorsement half-heartedly because of the way the political game works. But when he sticks his neck out to help someone in a contested primary against the establishment pick, I think it's more telling.

erowe1
02-15-2010, 11:04 AM
he says he needs signatures to geto n the ballot! does anyone have an update on his progress and is there any polling in this race? this primary is not far away and yet now is so important because the winner will basically take the senate seat

Hostettler definitely has enough signatures. He will be on the ballot for sure.

Coats is still working on it. But I expect that he'll make it.

TCE
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I realize the point. However, merely saying "Ron Paul did.." is not an objective look at any candidate. Ron Paul is a politician. He speaks in political polemics especially when it comes to candidates. If you are going to make a case for a candidate, do so objectively. That was my main thrust. I am just a little perturbed and a weee-bit tired of the "Ron Paul did..." as if everything Ron Paul does is sacrosanct. My observation. Ideas, must transcend mortality.

I have not seen Dr. Paul endorse a non-incumbent who hasn't been the best candidate in that race. All incumbents are excluded, since he can't endorse Republicans trying to Primary other Republicans. Obviously I encourage you to look up his voting record. He is a guy who WILL buck the party leadership when he disagrees with them, unlike Coats.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
the only polling I've seen is that Hostettler has a better favorability rating with voters than his rival Coats who is a DC lobbyist! Hostettler needs to hammer home the fact that his opponent is a DC lobbyist and he should be able to win although there is only a short time. He can win this through the debates and hammering that point home then he should be in a strong position by November

angelatc
02-15-2010, 11:09 AM
There was no democrat planning to run in the primary. So Bayh dropping out at the last minute (filing deadline is tomorrow Friday. tomorrow: http://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/CAN-4.pdf) really screwed his party. In order to get on the ballot, a candidate needs 500 signatures from each of the state's nine districts.

I have no doubt they'll throw something together, but if I were a citizen of Indiana, I'd look at challenging those signatures.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 11:12 AM
why has he retired? he had 13 million in the bank too

haaaylee
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM

From his WIKI:

"Hostettler was one of the "true believers" in the Republican freshman class of 1995. He believed the U.S. Constitution should be strictly interpreted [42] and was very critical of government actions—especially those of judges—that he felt overstepped their constitutional limits. Even those who disagreed with Hostettler felt that they knew where he stood and would likely give him the benefit of the doubt that he regularly voted in principle and not for political ends.[43]

He was strongly pro-life and opposed gun control. He favored the dissolution of the Department of Education, and voted against the No Child Left Behind Act because he felt education was a state matter.[44] He also voted against most federal health care bills with the view that health care is a private or state matter. He maintains that many federal environmental laws and regulations infringed on individuals' property rights.

Hostettler was very active on issues of religious freedom and expression. For example, during his last term, he was the chief sponsor of the Veterans' Memorials, Boy Scouts, Public Seals, and Other Public Expressions of Religion Protection Act of 2006, which would have prevented attorneys who successfully challenge violations of the Establishment Clause from collecting attorneys' fees.

On economic issues, he supported repeal of the estate tax, the capital gains tax and the "marriage tax penalty."

Hostettler was a hawk by inclination (he strongly supported the Strategic Defense Initiative). However, he was one of the leading Republican opponents of the Iraq War. He felt that preemptive military strikes were improper, and also felt that the military should not go into action unless there was an "imminent threat" to national security.

Hostettler was a hardliner on immigration issues:[45]

"...the Constitution ... is very clear. These are violations of our immigration law, and those that violate our immigration law should be dealt with, and should be punished, and should be ultimately deported."[46]

He supported building a fence at the Mexican border and opposed benefits of any sort to illegal immigrants. During his last two terms in Congress, he was Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims. He has been called a "leader of the patriotic immigration reform movement".[47]"

Krugerrand
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
why has he retired? he had 13 million in the bank too

I would have to bet on fear of some scandal.

Pants
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Considering most of the lawmakers (state and federal) are on vacation until next week Monday.. That's going to be a major problem..

There was no democrat planning to run in the primary. So Bayh dropping out at the last minute (filing deadline is tomorrow Friday. tomorrow: http://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/CAN-4.pdf) really screwed his party. In order to get on the ballot, a candidate needs 500 signatures from each of the state's nine districts.

I have no doubt they'll throw something together, but if I were a citizen of Indiana, I'd look at challenging those signatures.

Pants
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Bayh wasn't doing too bad in the polls either.

Indiana Senate - Hostettler vs. Bayh Daily Kos/R2000 Bayh 53, Hostettler 37 Bayh +16
Indiana Senate - Coats vs. Bayh Daily Kos/R2000 Bayh 55, Coats 35 Bayh +20