PDA

View Full Version : What is the Vetting process?

InterestedParticipant
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Exactly how are organizations, supposed "movement" leaders, political candidates, and spokespeople vetted in order to ensure that they represent the interests of those from who they seek support?

adamant
02-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Vetting, what vetting? They didn't even card Barry.

InterestedParticipant
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
The issue that I see is that key people are not properly vetted for their roles, creating a situation where supporters invest enormous money, effort and energy, but possibly setting up these supporters for significant emotional let downs when it is discovered that these key people are not what the supporters expected.

It seems to me that if political efforts here are to be successful, then risk must be removed from the equation, as early as possible, by conducting more due diligence UP-FRONT on candidates, organizations, and other key roles. Ultimately, this due diligence process should be rigorous and formalized.

For, once a key role is occupied, and support (emotional support) given to that person who occupies said role, it become almost impossible to objectively question that person or their role. Objective questions are met with hostility, and people asking these questions are labeled as subversives to the larger "movement".

This has to change, or any "movement" that people think they have hear will be slowly eaten away by a parade of new "movement" leaders who disappoint and a further growth of distrust as ones exceptions are continually sabotaged by actions that are inconsistent with the values of liberty.

TonySutton
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
It is the responsibility of the individual to vet anyone they are considering to support.

MelissaWV
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
It is the responsibility of the individual to vet anyone they are considering to support.

This. If it's my money, it's my responsibility.

Endorsements are just a transfer of funds and trust. People have been far too many layers away from the initial transfer, and that leads to a lack of accountability. Donating to an organization that supports candidates who support issues who support bills who support other people who support a kind of issue who support a trend in legislation... no. Just support someone directly if you really do believe in them. It makes a lot more sense.

pacelli
02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
What is referred to as the liberty movement as a whole has no vetting process.

People on the forums used to hold everything and everyone to a strict "litmus test" whereby Ron Paul's positions and behaviors were the standard of comparison. Post-RP08 campaign, I noticed a significant trend of hostility toward people who maintained that litmus standard and attempted to compare candidates to Ron Paul.

It seems now that all it takes to vet a candidate is to throw them a moneybomb and re-interpret their statements so they seem 'ron paul' like.

It is actually a great question, one that will likely be dismissed and ridiculed.

Slutter McGee
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I think there absolutely is a natural vetting process. It simply isn't set to standards of Ron Paul or some of the people here who think that someone should have to agree with him on everything.

There are two types of candidates in my opinion.

True Liberty Candidates which we support here. Ron, Rand, Schiff, Kokesh, etc. And honest fiscal conservatives who we might disagree with on some social issues and the war. Michael Williams, Pat Toomey (the Jim Demint types).

My personal opinion is that liberty candidates will get my support, my money, my time, and my vote.

Honest fiscal conservatives will get my vote but probably not my vocal support.

And I will vote Libertarian or Consitution if I don't have either of the above options.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Knightskye
02-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Vetting, what vetting? They didn't even card Barry.

What kind of card? ACLU?

InterestedParticipant
02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I vetted him before I accepted him to speak at the Revolution March, which launched his career in politics! You had better be careful here! You had better have your evidence lined up before you start throwing out accusations like "globalist shill" just to see what sticks! Have you even listened to anything he's ever said?
You are on my ignore list but someone else pointed our your post, so I am responding.

Now, to get back to the OP, which was to better understand the vetting process.

The purpose of this thread is to better understand the current vetting process, and to discuss possible improvements to that process.

So, do not turn this thread into a referendum on a candidate. If you want to discuss the vetting process, I will participate. But I'm not going to respond to specific discussion about a specific candidate, unless it is being done to illustrate the vetting process.

So, please, stay on topic of this OP.

ronpaulhawaii
02-16-2010, 03:45 PM
You are on my ignore list but someone else pointed our your post, so I am responding.

First, let me be clear, I have no evidence one way or the other regarding Kokesh. I don't know him, and I was not part of the vetting process. I merely learned that he was close to Medea Benjamin, and that raised serious red flag (as I already described in this thread), and therefore sparked my inquiries.

Now, to get back to the OP, which was to better understand the vetting process. It was NOT intended to have a referendum about Kokesh. If I want to do that, I will start a thread on that topic and then let the hair start flying.

The purpose of this thread is to better understand the current vetting process, and to discuss possible improvements to that process. While I brought up Kokesh as an example, it was meant merely to illustrate why this discussion is important.

So, do not turn this thread into a referendum on a candidate. If you want to discuss the vetting process, I will participate. But I'm not going to respond to specific discussion about a specific candidate, unless it is being done to illustrate the vetting process.

So, please, stay on topic of this OP.

Well, good, then you will have no objection to my removing any of your specific references a candidate

InterestedParticipant
02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
The sleepers arise to take their positions in the political, media and social framework. Do we know who the unknowns are, the ones that claim to be Messiahs?

YouTube - Yuri Bezmenov: Sleepers Emerge and Messiah Appears (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHRgTskEhE)