PDA

View Full Version : Why is there only political philosophy?

nate895
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Just wondering.

Why isn't there more discussion of three overarching subjects of philosophy: metaphysics, epistemology, and ethics (political philosophy is sort-of a subdivision of ethics)? They are disciplines that naturally coincide and need to be discussed as a whole. They each effect one another, so it is almost useless to talk about political philosophy while not at the same time discussing the nature of man and the ontology of the universe (both metaphysical concerns).

heavenlyboy34
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
they come up occasionally, but not that often. :( I wish more of that kind of thing was talked about here.

__27__
02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Because the Philosophy forum was not created for philosophy. It was created as a place where [some] mods could shove ancap/voluntaryist/individualist/etc. topics that they did not like without looking like they are singling people out. Go ahead and start a generally political ancap thread in general politics. Within an hour it'll be in here.

disorderlyvision
02-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Just wondering.

Why isn't there more discussion of three overarching subjects of philosophy: metaphysics, epistemology, and ethics (political philosophy is sort-of a subdivision of ethics)? They are disciplines that naturally coincide and need to be discussed as a whole. They each effect one another, so it is almost useless to talk about political philosophy while not at the same time discussing the nature of man and the ontology of the universe (both metaphysical concerns).

Because you didn't start a thread about it yet.

Because the Philosophy forum was not created for philosophy. It was created as a place where [some] mods could shove ancap/voluntaryist/individualist/etc. topics that they did not like without looking like they are singling people out. Go ahead and start a generally political ancap thread in general politics. Within an hour it'll be in here.

QFT!!!

nate895
02-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Because you didn't start a thread about it yet.

Yes, I did:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=218976

Proph
02-15-2010, 11:33 PM

This reminds me of the movie "Mindwalk". If you haven't seen it, you might like it. The entire movie is about 3 people (a scientist, a politician, and a writer) walking around an old castle discussing topics similar to this.

Kludge
02-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Many thread replies on RPFs deal in baseless ethics & metaphysics, and occasionally epistemology for thread-jacks. A philosophy subforum seems a bit unnecessary.

Anti Federalist
02-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Many thread replies on RPFs deal in baseless ethics & metaphysics, and occasionally epistemology for thread-jacks. A philosophy subforum seems a bit unnecessary.

I knew it I knew I knew it...

:rolleyes:

torchbearer
02-15-2010, 11:50 PM

may we purge the truth from our minds and return to our holographic existance.
http://www.gaianxaos.com/holographic_reality_of_being.htm