PDA

View Full Version : Bohnson Letters To The Editor

angelatc
02-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Bohnson's site is asking his supporters to write letters to the editor this week.
Next week I would like for everyone to write letters to the editor of their local newspapers. Keep the letters short and talk about the U.S. Senate race and your support of the campaign. I get many emails asking about national media like fox news. Please remember all politics are local. Your efforts with your local media are MUCH more important than fox news or any other national media attention.

Seems like tonight is a slow night. Maybe a few Kentuckians 'round here should put a pen to paper and write a letter or two of their own?

amisspelledword
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
i think this is a great idea. ive started to write a letter but never get finished and end up giving up.

angelatc
02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
i think this is a great idea. ive started to write a letter but never get finished and end up giving up.

Well, they should generally be short and concise to increase the odds of getting to print.

What point(s) are important for you to make?

DeadheadForPaul
02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I cannot believe that we are getting beaten at our own game by BOHNSON idiots!

Especially when we outnumber them 20 to 1

We have GOT to step it up

It's like we've already cashed the check on this election - as if Rand already won

Nathan Hale
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I cannot believe that we are getting beaten at our own game by BOHNSON idiots!

Especially when we outnumber them 20 to 1

We have GOT to step it up

It's like we've already cashed the check on this election - as if Rand already won

I agree. The core supporters are getting lazy. I've already been roundly criticized in this sub-forum for daring to declare that we not forget our roots. It seems as though we've adopted the blindness of the very mainstream candidates we used to criticize for being blind to our tactics.

itshappening
02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
johnson has no chance and really it's ridculous to see so many threads about him here

the guy has raised 20k and his own life savings, completely foolish and will not be a factor also the small fact that he's a poor candidate anyway

DeadheadForPaul
02-14-2010, 08:53 PM
johnson has no chance and really it's ridculous to see so many threads about him here

the guy has raised 20k and his own life savings, completely foolish and will not be a factor also the small fact that he's a poor candidate anyway

I'm not afraid of him. I'm afraid that his supporters will basically be a mercenary group for Grayson

They throw crap on Paul and Grayson benefits

Nathan Hale
02-14-2010, 08:55 PM

You are likely right. But I don't think your assertion carries the empirical weight to advocate weak grassroots work. Johnson is likely an also-ran, but it's worth keeping an eye on him, and keeping our traditional grassroots methods vibrant.

itshappening
02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
You are likely right. But I don't think your assertion carries the empirical weight to advocate weak grassroots work. Johnson is likely an also-ran, but it's worth keeping an eye on him, and keeping our traditional grassroots methods vibrant.

there is no weak grassroots work from what I can tell. Rand is drawing the biggest crowds in Kentucky and has the most supporters, there are also hundreds going for spring break

Nathan Hale
02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
there is no weak grassroots work from what I can tell. Rand is drawing the biggest crowds in Kentucky and has the most supporters, there are also hundreds going for spring break

Oh Rand is doing really well at traditional major campaign stuff. Turnout at events isn't so much a grassroots effort as it is an official campaign effort. My point is that we're forgetting our roots - the kind of grassroots work that got us where we are today, scoffing at the very efforts put forth by the Johnson people that we used to laud when it was us. Let's not fill ourselves with hubris just yet.

aclove
02-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't think we're "forgetting our roots" so much as we've moved on from where we started and learned more effective grassroots tactics and skills. Writing letters to the editor is all well and good, but it's nowhere near as important as the personal touch...phone calls, door-to-door canvassing, and having educational conversations at rallies and party meetings. That's where the support of actual primary voters is won or lost. Rand and his volunteers are doing that. Bohnson and his supporters are not, because:

1.) He doesn't have enough actual supporters to do that on the scale necessary to win, and,

2.) He doesn't have the money to travel widely enough to do it himself.

Writing letters to the editor, doing sign waves, having Meetups, and all the other things we did two years ago were important because they served a purpose. That purpose was to wake us and others up, energize us, educate us, and give us the sense of purpose and commitment to learn how to be ready for the next time. This is that next time.

It did not win Ron Paul the Presidency, and was never going to. The things we're doing now, which, like it or not, are a lot more like traditional political campaigning, will win a Senate seat for Rand.

itshappening
02-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh Rand is doing really well at traditional major campaign stuff. Turnout at events isn't so much a grassroots effort as it is an official campaign effort. My point is that we're forgetting our roots - the kind of grassroots work that got us where we are today, scoffing at the very efforts put forth by the Johnson people that we used to laud when it was us. Let's not fill ourselves with hubris just yet.

our grassroots efforts has propelled a first time candidate to front runner status in the Republican primary,. most of the effort has been done and it is up to the campaign to finish it. we're busy planning our next money bomb to make sure that Rand can destroy the opposition and be on TV frequently enough when voters start to make up their mind. Johnson will not be a consideration for them as the race will be framed as Rand vs. Trey

DeadheadForPaul
02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I think letters to the editor will be the most constructive use of our time when we are not out at rallies, debates, or putting up signs: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=231534

Nathan Hale
02-14-2010, 09:45 PM
our grassroots efforts has propelled a first time candidate to front runner status in the Republican primary,. most of the effort has been done and it is up to the campaign to finish it.

I disagree that the grassroots should "hand it off" to the campaign, so to speak. The yard signs, internet polls, debate crowds and LTE campaigns are all still important because they protect the image of Rand's campaign as the people's campaign.

we're busy planning our next money bomb to make sure that Rand can destroy the opposition and be on TV frequently enough when voters start to make up their mind.

This is good work too, but we shouldn't perceive our role in-state as simply pockets for the campaign to reach into.

Johnson will not be a consideration for them as the race will be framed as Rand vs. Trey

That's quite possible. But it's not a certainty - and we shouldn't ignore other possibilities.

John Taylor
02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
I disagree that the grassroots should "hand it off" to the campaign, so to speak. The yard signs, internet polls, debate crowds and LTE campaigns are all still important because they protect the image of Rand's campaign as the people's campaign.

This is good work too, but we shouldn't perceive our role in-state as simply pockets for the campaign to reach into.

That's quite possible. But it's not a certainty - and we shouldn't ignore other possibilities.

I'm with you on this completely. Anyone close to Kentucky should do all they can to promote constitutional government, and work to prevent any smears from sticking.

Some people will fight till the lastdog dies against limited, free-market principles of constitutional government. It's sad but true, and we need all our wits, all our money, and all our effort to win.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
our biggest concern is the money bomb, those who are in KY or can go to KY should of course do all they can to help the campaign but for many of us we can promote the moneybomb and make sure it's a success so Rand can compete and crush the opposition

angelatc
02-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Writing letters to the editor, doing sign waves, having Meetups, and all the other things we did two years ago were important because they served a purpose. .

I've worked with a campaign that won an office and they did not consider writing letters-to-the-editor to be a waste of time.

It may not be the most effective way to win, but it is one thing a person can do to get the candidates name out. You never know who will read your letter. You might reach somebody in the waiting room at the dentist who reads the paper twice a year, or a guy reading a second hand copy on the bus because his car is in the shop.

It's a numbers game. The more you can get your candidates name in print, the better the odds that somebody will recognize it when they see it on the ballot.

My point was that it was Sunday night, New Posts weren't scrolling very fast, so we might as well write a letter or two.

(I don't live in KY, so it would be silly for me to write one. We have our own carpetbaggers to deal with - I don't need to be one!)