PDA

View Full Version : Good News! Federal Debt Limit Amendment 2.5 States Away

hotbrownsauce
02-12-2010, 11:36 PM
My State Representative here in Missouri said in his regular update that the Missouri House passed a resolution urging Congress to submit a balanced budget amendment to the States for ratification. Once the Missouri Senate votes for the bill (as I'm sure they will) we will be 2 States away from seriously talking about a Federal balanced budget amendment to the constitution.

(EDIT to add information I found)
Well I just read the bill that was partially passed in Missouri. The same person who introduced this bill (Icet) in 1983 reintroduced the bill (even though it was already passed in 1983) recently because he felt we need to renew the issue of the federal deficit in this economy. My Rep. didn't mention it included a call for a Con Con under the stipulation if Congress didn't send an amendment for ratification it would be considered a call for a con con. The Missouri legislature is all saying we are 2 States away from a Con Con. According to some websites its 5? But I don't know where they are getting that information.

so this is actually a bad thing not good. However my point is moot since Missouri already passed the resolution in 1983. HOWEVER it's a good reminder we don't want anymore state to pass a call for a con con, especially in this state of our government.

Want to know why its bad? http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0109/0109concon.htm

TCE
02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
A bunch of states retracted their call for a convention, so it is more like 14 states off if I remember correctly.

cindy25
02-13-2010, 12:13 AM
retraction may not be constitutional

hotbrownsauce
02-13-2010, 12:46 AM
A bunch of states retracted their call for a convention, so it is more like 14 states off if I remember correctly.

if you can PM me some more details or links I'll mention it to my Rep. I stay in fairly normal dialog with him. Then I can share what he tells me.

nate895
02-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Wait, I thought we were opposed to these conventions. :confused:

hotbrownsauce
02-13-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm going to update my original post with updated information I found.

TCE
02-13-2010, 01:19 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=192446

That thread explains pretty thoroughly why a Constitutional Convention is a bad idea.

hotbrownsauce
02-13-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm mailing my Rep right now to let him know the good possibility of a bad outcome.

Thanks guys and gals

Edit #1
I just got finished writing the letter. I'll update you if he responds with anything worth sharing.

Edit #2
He said the Bill I read was a few days old and not updated yet. So the new bill that was amended does not have anything about a ConCon in it. So I mailed him back and hopefully he will responds once more. I inquired how 34 States would have any power to force congress (other than a ConCon which the States can't really force a BBA) to submit an Amendment. My assumption is that Congress will "honor" the States request for an Amendment even though they aren't forced too.