PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul wins Oregon Straw Poll.

rycodge
10-06-2007, 07:51 PM
We just had a great day out here in Portland, OR.

Here are the results:

1. Ron Paul (77 votes, 67%)
2. Mitt Romney (18 votes, 16%)
3. Fred Thompson (12 votes, 10%)
4. Mike Huckabee (5 votes, 4%)
5. Rudy Giuliani (2 votes, 2%)
6. John McCain (1 vote, 1%)

We had over a hundred of us showing support and doing banner brigades for Ron Paul (the Vancouver, WA group couldn't vote). When I showed up to the event it looked like a Ron Paul rally! - exactly what we like to see!

There should be an official press release due out shortly by the Oregon GOP.

Oh and I've been reading this website for a while but this is my first post. :)

bbachtung
10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Welcome. Is there a link to the poll results yet?

DJ RP
10-06-2007, 07:56 PM
over 100 supporters but only 77 votes? how come?

Obviously this is awesome by the way! Great going :D

foofighter20x
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
over 100 supporters but only 77 votes? how come?

Obviously this is awesome by the way! Great going :D

Because some of those supporters were probably from Fort Vancouver, WA, right accross the river. That's how come. ;)

nullvalu
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Some of them could have been out-of-staters? ^^^ what he said

UtahApocalypse
10-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Great Job! I look forward to our "Eat and Greet" and Test Bike ride in a couple weeks.

orp
10-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Chalk up another straw poll win for Ron Paul. I just returned from the Oregon Republican party's central committee meeting. As part of that meeting they had a presidential staw poll. A bit about the meeting. Oregon has 36 counties; 12 were represented at this meeting, 18 are required for a quorum. Sure doesn't seem to be much excitement in the ranks. On the other hand, the place was alive with Ron Paul supporters. Signs in the streets, signs in the lobby, signs in the meeting room....Ron Paul supporters were everywhere.... Every campaign was invited by the Republican party to attend, bring materials, campaign for their candidate.....There was only one other candidate who had 3 or 4 of the same sign posted, all done by one suitably dressed young man.

Prior to the vote, the podium was opened to the representatives of the various candidates. The only candidates who were represented were: Duncan Hunter, by the young man in the black suit, McCain sent a video which was basically a re-hash of his vietnam experience, Romney had a slick, expensive video which was full of cliches......and then there was the Ron Paul representative - Kyle Sanders -
But, before he spoke, the Chairman opened the doors and an army of Ron Paul supporters flooded into the room. Kyle served with the Oregon National Guard in Afghanistan. His presentation was outstanding. Listening to him and surrounded by Ron Paul supporters drew a tear to my eye as I thought of the passion and the hope of his supporters and the greatness of Ron Paul.

Straw poll results: 115 votes cast

Ron Paul 77 67 %
Mitt Romney 18 16%
Fred Thompson 12 10%
Huckabee 5 4 %
Giuliani 2 2 %
McCain 1 1 % It was a good day:)

Zydeco
10-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Amazing.

I have never seen anything like the Ron Paul Revolution and don't expect to again.

Pauliana
Outstanding. The army is energized, focused, and legion. You make me proud.

anewvoice
Amazing.

I have never seen anything like the Ron Paul Revolution and don't expect to again.

I never expected to see this in my lifetime, it's surreal at times.

goldstandard
10-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Congrats.

ButchHowdy
10-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Thank You!

recess
10-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Portland Oregon you make me proud to be a native oregonian

CurtisLow
10-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Nice! Great Job to all the Oregonians! *Applause*

princessredtights
10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Okay, my little Oregon Meetup Friends ... you'd better spill it who you be ... LOL (seriously - who ARE you ...? pssst ... I'm Karen) :p

dsentell
10-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Wonderful news!!!

princessredtights
10-06-2007, 11:10 PM
I will have to say - it was an amazing thrill to be at the straw poll. I think they (the GOP) was a little surprised to see so many of us! We had an amazing sign waving/banner brigade/visiblast before and after!

grfgerger
10-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I fell asleep instead of going

:(

aravoth
10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
:D Nice work guys. As soon as my wife has the baby I'll be more involved in the meet-up.

GeorgiaRPFan
10-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Great work in Oregon! If you haven't participated in a straw poll in person, it's awesome to see the throngs of Ron Paul meetup members who show up, cheer enthusiastically and then win the poll. The Rudy, Thompson, Romney, etc. supporters just look kind of bewildered, and a little envious of the support RP gets. Hopefully they all go home and google Ron Paul and find out why we support him.

Thor
10-07-2007, 04:45 PM
A little Lew Rockwell blog post on the Oregon Straw poll...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/015933.html

princessredtights
10-07-2007, 05:06 PM

October 07, 2007
Notes From the Oregon Straw Poll
Posted by Lew Rockwell at October 7, 2007 01:43 PM
Writes Craig Morris: "I haven't participated much in politics but Ron Paul brought me out of the closet.
"Before the Oregon Straw Poll each candidate had a chance to have a representative speak. The Ron Paul campaign chose a veteran of the Afghanistan nation building boondoggle. He spoke well and represented Dr. Paul's positions correctly. No other candidate had a representative except Mitt Romney. Mitt's representative was 10 minute video showing lots of purple mountain's majesty, fruited plains, perfect hair and perfect teeth. Mitt claimed he would cut government programs which is a fine thing thought he didn't mention any by name.
"The interesting thing was the assembled crowd's reaction to the two presentations. The front of the room had chairs and was full of middle-aged plus men in suits and women with blue hair. The back of the room was mostly younger citizens standing up, presentable but a little scruffy and all carrying Ron Paul signs. I think the front of the room was the official party folks. After many lines from the Ron Paul guy there was lots of clapping and cheering from the back of the room (loudest when getting rid of the Fed was mentioned) but the front of the room was dead silent (maybe asleep). The reaction reversed during the Romney film except there was no cheering, just polite applause from the front of the room a few times. As mentioned there were no other candidates represented though I did see a Duncan Hunter sign or two. Oregon just ain't a red state, I guess.
"I took my 14 year old daughter with me and asked her to pay attention to both presentations and that there would be a quiz at the end. 'What', I asked later, 'would Ron Paul do in office?' Her reply: 'Stop the war and get rid of the IRS'. 'And what', I asked, 'would Mitt Romney do?'. 'Um...I don't know' she correctly answered. But then, this is an exceptionally bright girl. Earlier that day she asked why we attacked Iraq. I told her that it was claimed that it would stop them from committing terrorist acts against us. 'Wouldn't that make them want to attack us more?' she replied. As I said, a bright girl. Well, at least brighter than all but one of our current Republican Presidential candidates."

Johnnybags
10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
The ring of steel area, why is he the frontrunner? Because he has corporate cash? Who does these polls and who are they calling? Lockheed Martin employees? SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG WITH THE POLLS.

We just had a great day out here in Portland, OR.

Here are the results:

1. Ron Paul (77 votes, 67%)
2. Mitt Romney (18 votes, 16%)
3. Fred Thompson (12 votes, 10%)
4. Mike Huckabee (5 votes, 4%)
5. Rudy Giuliani (2 votes, 2%)
6. John McCain (1 vote, 1%)

We had over a hundred of us showing support and doing banner brigades for Ron Paul (the Vancouver, WA group couldn't vote). When I showed up to the event it looked like a Ron Paul rally! - exactly what we like to see!

There should be an official press release due out shortly by the Oregon GOP.

Oh and I've been reading this website for a while but this is my first post. :)

singapore_sling
10-07-2007, 05:24 PM

October 07, 2007
Notes From the Oregon Straw Poll
Posted by Lew Rockwell at October 7, 2007 01:43 PM
Writes Craig Morris: "I haven't participated much in politics but Ron Paul brought me out of the closet.
"Before the Oregon Straw Poll each candidate had a chance to have a representative speak. The Ron Paul campaign chose a veteran of the Afghanistan nation building boondoggle. He spoke well and represented Dr. Paul's positions correctly. No other candidate had a representative except Mitt Romney. Mitt's representative was 10 minute video showing lots of purple mountain's majesty, fruited plains, perfect hair and perfect teeth. Mitt claimed he would cut government programs which is a fine thing thought he didn't mention any by name.
"The interesting thing was the assembled crowd's reaction to the two presentations. The front of the room had chairs and was full of middle-aged plus men in suits and women with blue hair. The back of the room was mostly younger citizens standing up, presentable but a little scruffy and all carrying Ron Paul signs. I think the front of the room was the official party folks. After many lines from the Ron Paul guy there was lots of clapping and cheering from the back of the room (loudest when getting rid of the Fed was mentioned) but the front of the room was dead silent (maybe asleep). The reaction reversed during the Romney film except there was no cheering, just polite applause from the front of the room a few times. As mentioned there were no other candidates represented though I did see a Duncan Hunter sign or two. Oregon just ain't a red state, I guess.
"I took my 14 year old daughter with me and asked her to pay attention to both presentations and that there would be a quiz at the end. 'What', I asked later, 'would Ron Paul do in office?' Her reply: 'Stop the war and get rid of the IRS'. 'And what', I asked, 'would Mitt Romney do?'. 'Um...I don't know' she correctly answered. But then, this is an exceptionally bright girl. Earlier that day she asked why we attacked Iraq. I told her that it was claimed that it would stop them from committing terrorist acts against us. 'Wouldn't that make them want to attack us more?' she replied. As I said, a bright girl. Well, at least brighter than all but one of our current Republican Presidential candidates."
You would think more people would be angry about politicians doing the kind of crap that romney video sounds like. Lots of fluff no substance at all. I would feel disrespected.

speciallyblend
10-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Great Job Oregon:)

UCFGavin
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
any news as far as converting people there? anyone ask you guys questions?

Eli
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
what the! I had no idea oregon was having a straw poll?!?! I would of showed up with 50 of my friends and family....oooh thats frustrating.

princessredtights
10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
what the! I had no idea oregon was having a straw poll?!?! I would of showed up with 50 of my friends and family....oooh thats frustrating.

Are you involved in the meetup groups? We had the groups from Bend, Medford, Eugene, Albany/Corvallis and Salem (as well as the metro groups). The Vancouver group even came for moral support, sign waving and such - 20 or so ...

:confused:

FWIW - the straw poll wasn't really advertised; it was part of the 3 day seminar put on by the ORGOP - we went just for the straw poll.

From what I've heard, the GOP leadership was impressed with our presence!

:D

princessredtights
10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCmhurHByY8

Here's Kyle's speech he gave before the voting! :D