PDA

View Full Version : How To Mount Banners Under Overpasses (On Tall Steel Girder)

DanielDeibler
10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
DISCLAIMER: The owners and site staff at RonPaulForums.com do not condone or endorse any activity that is either illegal or dangerous. If you do not take proper steps to assure you have legal rights to engage in any activity then you should expect to suffer the consequences. Further, engaging in an activity that may become dangerous, such as trying to retrieve or adjust a sign stuck improperly can lead to serious injury or death by means including but not limited to falling or impact by vehicle traffic. You are responsible for your own actions and safety at all times, nobody can be responsible for you. Campaign safely and legally.

http://i13.tinypic.com/68m05es.jpg
The following is an improved (but still untested)procedure for mounting a banner on the outermost steel girder beneath an overpass without a fence. This is for those people who have been hanging up banners on overpasses. If you're going to continue to do this, please switch to this method in order to do it safely and not risk banners falling on traffic.
http://i14.tinypic.com/4q4g9x1.jpg

The image above (made entirely in MSPaint), illustrates the setup for the banner.
The major change is that you do not need to buy autoretracting badge reels to get rid of the string used to lower the banner. Simply use a long loop of string to lower the banner, rather than a single strand. When the banner is mounted, cut the string and pull it up, leaving absolutely nothing on the banner.

For one banner, you will need:
- Four 1/16" thick 3/4" diameter neodymium magnets (about $3 total) (This was chosen based on estimated calculations of magnetic pull force. Neodymium magnets usually more than twice this size are used in computer hard drives to stabilize the reading head, so old hard drives are a good source for free neodymium magnets.)
These are used to secure the banner to the girder.
- String (fairly strong)
- Duct tape (for keeping the magnets on the banner while it is being lowered)
- Scissors (for cutting the cord)
- L-shaped device shown in image (used to push the banner inward)
- 3 people

-In Shop-
Step 1: Put everything in place as shown (real descriptive, I know)
Step 2: Run a 10-12 foot string through hole in banner, tie together to make a continuous loop. Repeat for second hole.
Step 3: (optional) Attach a wooden dowel or small-diameter pvc tube along the bottom of the banner to keep it straight while lowering the banner (this may create the need for slightly larger magnets).

-On Site-
Step 4: 2 people lower the banner down slowly, holding cords at an angle to keep the banner taut, until the top of the banner is about a foot below the bottom of the concrete.
Step 5: 3rd person uses L-tool to push each corner inward (starting with top corners) until that corner's magnet slaps against the girder.
Step 6: Tug on cords to verify that banner is secured.
Step 7: Cut one string of both loops and pull string up and off of the banner.
Done.

Considerations:
Overpass must not have a fence.
Measurements (approximate) should be made of the following: (most can be obtained from your city hall or your state's Department of Transportation)
A. Distance from outermost girder to edge of concrete
B. Distance from top of concrete to bottom of concrete on side of overpass
C. Height of girder (must be greater than the height of the banner)
May want to attach a dowel to the front bottom edge of the banner to keep it taut.
Magnet requirements are estimated.
None of this has been tested.
Verify that anything you plan to do does not violate federal, state, or local laws in your area.
This has been an information-only message.

DeadheadForPaul
10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
PLEASE make sure that your banners do not fall, guys! It could cause some serious car accidents. Be safe!

ksuguy
10-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah I wouldn't like to hang banners on any overpasses where it can fall. Enclosed fenced in pedestrian overpasses are good.

DanielDeibler
10-06-2007, 07:56 PM
If you were worried, you could always just use bigger NIB (Neodymium Iron Boron) magnets. They are the strongest (known) magnet in the Universe, literally, as in, seriously, as in for real. If you used a set of four 1/8" thick 3/4" diameter NIB magnets, the banner would still be there after a direct hit from a severe tornado. The pull force that would be generated between the magnet and the girder would be more than 35 lbs of constant force. If you wanted to be a serious spaz, you could bump it up to a set of four 1/4" thick 1" diameter NIB magnets, generating almost 100 lbs of constant force on the banner in the direction of the girder. The banner would survive the apocalypse. If you go any bigger than that with the magnets, good luck ever getting them off. They'd probably have to cut the banner around the magnets and just leave them up there. Keep in mind, the banner is going to weigh less than a pound. 10 lbs of force against the banner should be plenty. A configuration of four 1/16" thick, 3/4" diameter NIB magnets would generate about 18 lbs of constant force on the less-than-a-pound banner.

LibertyEagle
10-06-2007, 08:08 PM
This really worries me. If these banners fell down, we could be responsible for a lot of people's deaths.

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

RCA
10-06-2007, 08:13 PM
No banners on non-enclosed overpasses!

Use your heads people!

billv
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I agree, good intentions, seriously flawed.

zebov
10-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh. My. Goodness. This is just ASKING for some HORRIBLE negative publicity. Do NOT put signs or ANYTHING somewhere where it could fall into a busy roadway. Seriously, people! THINK!

DanielDeibler
10-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't think you guys understand the physics involved. This is safer than posting them on fences. It can not fall down, whereas a banner on the inside of a fence can come off in the wind and cover the windshield of a car on the overpass, and one on the outside of a fence can blow off and cover the windshield of a car driving beneath it. But it's ok, I just thought I'd throw it out there. You guys can go ahead and kill people by posting them on fences if you want. I just wanted to try and save some lives, but by all means, continue to dangerously post banners on fences.

zebov
10-06-2007, 08:57 PM
DanielDeibler, I understand that this may be safer and I appreciate your suggestions. I'm not a fan of posting the signs on overpasses in general. I've always thought this would cause a horrible mess if something went wrong. I understand that this is a great way to get the word out, but how about putting the sign to the side of the overpass, or simply driving your car on the interstate with bumper stickers or signs :)

Whatever the case, people please please please be safe.

DanielDeibler
10-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Whatever the case, people please please please be safe.

I think that's something we can all agree with. :)

amakris
10-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Very bad idea. Very bad.

risiusj
10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
We seriously need to stop hanging signs on overpasses. Our efforts can be concentrated on much better things.
Could you imagine the consequences of an accident caused by one of Ron Paul's banners?
The campaign would be flushed down the toilet faster than Howard Dean's after his yelling, "We're going to South Dakota, and Washington, and Oregon! Then we're going to Washington D.C. to take back the White House! Beeeyaaaaww!"

DanielDeibler
10-06-2007, 09:17 PM
As I said, I can't force you to be safe. If you want to put banners on fences and kill people, there's nothing I can do to stop you. If you actually care about the safety of the public, you could use magnets. I understand, though. It's a lot easier to just throw a motorist-killing banner on a fence and leave than it is to be responsible and use constant-force neodymium supermagnets to ensure the safety of those driving in the area. I'll say a prayer for the people driving in your area.

Corydoras
10-06-2007, 09:25 PM
None of this has been tested.
Verify that anything you plan to do does not violate federal, state, or local laws in your area.
This has been an information-only message.

:eek:

DahuiHeeNalu
10-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Bad - Bad Idea!!!

DanielDeibler
10-06-2007, 09:42 PM
If you guys want to keep killing people with fence banners like the poor family in Minnesota, go ahead. You murderers.

surf
10-06-2007, 09:53 PM
i'd love to see a picture of this in action.

- of course, i'll echo what everyone else here said about being safe, blah blah blah - the magnets... i'll take your word for it, but i'd go with the bigger ones (make DOT work hard if they choose to remove them)

welcome to the forum

DanielDeibler
01-01-2008, 09:27 AM
i'd love to see a picture of this in action.

- of course, i'll echo what everyone else here said about being safe, blah blah blah - the magnets... i'll take your word for it, but i'd go with the bigger ones (make DOT work hard if they choose to remove them)

welcome to the forum

lol, i agree. use magnets so big they can't get it off, lol. Believe it or not, that's not too hard to do with NIB magnets. seriously, if you used four 1" cube magnets to mount one of these things--keep in mind, NIBs are currently the strongest known magnets (not including electromagnets, obviously) in the universe, literally (not figuratively)...I seriously don't know how the DOT workers would ever get them off.
Actually, I guess they could take a torch to them...but no, they wouldn't do that because they might damage the girder. They'd probably have to shut down the roadway and have someone take a sledge hammer to them to try to knock or break them off. Honestly, I'm not sure they'd be willing to go through all that trouble. It would probably at least take quite some time to get authorization for it, then they'd have to schedule it to be done in the middle of the night.

Corydoras
01-01-2008, 09:30 AM
You pulled a Frankenstein on this thread after it's been dead three months to post THAT?

Stealth4
01-01-2008, 09:37 AM
If you guys want to keep killing people with fence banners like the poor family in Minnesota, go ahead. You murderers.

You said in your original post that this method of yours is un-tested.

If true - why are you trying to sell us on a a method you havent even tried yourself!

Thats BS!

TomTX
01-01-2008, 10:30 AM
lol, i agree. use magnets so big they can't get it off, lol. Believe it or not, that's not too hard to do with NIB magnets. seriously, if you used four 1" cube magnets to mount one of these things--keep in mind, NIBs are currently the strongest known magnets (not including electromagnets, obviously) in the universe, literally (not figuratively)...I seriously don't know how the DOT workers would ever get them off.
Actually, I guess they could take a torch to them...but no, they wouldn't do that because they might damage the girder.

Torches are commonly used to straighten impact-warped girders.

Scott Wilson
01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Not worth playing with this idea in my opinion.

mexicanpizza
01-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Not to mention I guarantee that the magnet will not hit in the right place the first time, and you'll be unable to pull it off and adjust the sign. If you CAN pull it off with a string, the magnet isn't strong enough.

This is a bad idea. Of large proportions. It always saddens me to see motivated people spending time on horrible ideas. :(

Dieseler
01-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Better name for post... How to get a Noob Killed or incarcerated...