PDA

View Full Version : Time for a BJ Lawson 2010 subforum!

bucfish
02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.lawsonforcongress.com/

He is running!

Arklatex
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
SPREAD THE MESSAGE

BJ is a n extremely likable and smart guy, we need him fighting for our us.

I'm encouraged with our reach and momentum.

Flash
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
The RJ Harris and Ron Paul 2010 forum can be eliminated. Just a suggestion.

The Patriot
02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
John Dennis also deserves a sub forum considering he is running in a large metropolitan district to unseat Speaker Pelosi.

How did BJ Lawson do last time he ran? Is he running in the same district as before?

The Patriot
02-10-2010, 05:45 PM
The RJ Harris and Ron Paul 2010 forum can be eliminated. Just a suggestion.

Why RJ Harris? He is moving up in the polls on Tom Cole and is pretty much 100% aligned with Paul's views.

Flash
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Why RJ Harris? He is moving up in the polls on Tom Cole and is pretty much 100% aligned with Paul's views.

I'm not sure if a polling company has polled that race yet. I know RJ Harris released some internal polls that seemed a little bit suspicious.

How did BJ Lawson do last time he ran? Is he running in the same district as before?

Yes, same district.
LOST 37% - 63%

dr. hfn
02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
agreed! And a YAL subforum!

erowe1
02-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Agreed.

BJ Lawson, John Hostettler, and Justin Amash should all get subforums.

rancher89
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes, same district.
LOST 37% - 63%

That was in a heavily Dem District, WITH the Obama wave, things are much different now.

Imperial
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I think you could definitely cut the Ron Paul 2010 subforum. RJ should be kept though.

BJ has a much better chance in 2010. He has much better name recognition from his strong run last time. He put more pressure on Price than any other candidate in years. 2010 will be trending Republican on the generic ballot, and for a candidate who can rally the tea partiers and pull a few dems BJ Lawson will be amazing.

haaaylee
02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Going through old and new BJ youtubes and getting really excited. Of all the personalities we have for our liberty candidates, i like his this most. Great speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=%22bj+lawson%22&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&suggested_categories=25%2C22&uni=3

erowe1
02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
That was in a heavily Dem District, WITH the Obama wave, things are much different now.

Except the part about it being a heavily Dem district is the same.

rancher89
02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Thing is, a lot of Dems in NC don't necessarily vote straight Dem ticket....especially the fiscally conservative Dems.

Bergie Bergeron
02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
bump.

BenIsForRon
02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
He's going to have to find a way to get a portion of the urban black population in Durham. He couldn't do it last time, how will he do it this time?

Peace&Freedom
02-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Lawson should run in a REPUBLICAN tilting district. If he don't live in one, he should move to one, or else switch parties and run for the Democratic nomination where he is. Why do we keep wasting energies running people against entrenched incumbents in Democratic districts? It's the structural equivalent of swimming up a waterfall.

BenIsForRon
02-11-2010, 10:18 AM
or else switch parties and run for the Democratic nomination where he is.

This is an interesting proposition. Many conservative democrats have gotten into office using this method. The question is, how do you knock out an incumbent democrat in the primary when you're a former Republican?

Peace&Freedom
02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
This is an interesting proposition. Many conservative democrats have gotten into office using this method. The question is, how do you knock out an incumbent democrat in the primary when you're a former Republican?

You don't, you wait until the seat is VACANT (Dem or GOP), then run for the nomination of the party the district leans towards. 95% of candidates NEVER beat incumbents, no matter how good they are. If he wants to run as a Republican, Lawson should only have run in an open seat GOP district (last time and now), and only if he could safely raise the half million or so all actual winners of congressional races raise. There's still more to it, but those are the essential factors regular politicians rely on to do it.

The whole structure of an attempt to gain office (if your serious intent is to WIN) should be geared towards working from a high percentage scenario---a lay up, as opposed to a half court shot. Anything less is a vanity or third party candidacy, where you are running only for ego, and/or to inject your issues into the race. You can't build a log cabin with toothpicks, because even though you technically have wood, it's simply not enough.

A whole lot of Ron Paul Republicans around here seem to think they are better positioned to win than independents merely because they are running candidates as Republicans---then they do exactly the same things third party candidates do. "We have a great candidate, that is enough to win." This is self-delusion. You need enough of an opening, enough visibility, enough money raised, enough of a base/coalition---enough wood, that is---to win in a manner that more resembles a lay-up.

I am onboard for liberty candidates seeking electoral victory who have properly picked their spots (open seats, or at least against incumbents who have Spitzer-level scandals), are running in sync with their area (as Republicans in GOP districts, or as Democrats in Democratic districts), and have enough resources (name, money, base) to make victory probable. I am not onboard for wasting energies on another half-court shot.

Flash
02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah see I was expecting Lawson to do what Glen Bradley is doing and run for a local office. To me this is more effective. If Republicans can take over the NC congrses, then North Carolina can be redistricted in such a way where Republicans have an advantage, NOT democrats. Then BJ Lawson can run for Governor, Senate, House Rep, or whatever.

JamesButabi
02-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I agree with alot of sentiment here, but this is not typical political atmosphere. Repubs are making splashes in Dem leaning districts. BJ has some good name recognition and a vigilant base of supporters. I fully support his run.

Cowlesy
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Just got a call from the man himself --- this shows me they are starting early, and they already have a base of supporters to get reinvigorated about the campaign.

You have to remember, all those people who came out solely to support Obama (and pulled the lever to vote straight Dem most likely) may not show-up this fall.

Lawson was a hard campaigner, and I am glad he's taking on the responsibility of running for Congress again versus Mr. Price.

pacelli
02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
He's going to have to find a way to get a portion of the urban black population in Durham. He couldn't do it last time, how will he do it this time?

Non-presidential election year, luckily only 8% of registered voters actually voted in Durham County during the last non-presidential election year (2006). This sets the bar quite low in comparison to the 08 election.

RUN DATE:06/01/06 03:56 PM MAY 30, 2006
STATISTICS
TOTAL PERCENT TOTAL PERCENT
01 = REGISTERED VOTERS - TOTAL 35,250 03 = VOTER TURNOUT - TOTAL 8.37
02 = BALLOTS CAST - TOTAL 2,950

http://www.co.durham.nc.us/departments/elec/2006_Election/Results/Second_Primary/Results_Update/UPDATES/2nd_Primary_06_Webfile.pdf

The Patriot
02-15-2010, 04:27 PM

:D
Sorry, as long as Obama is a Democrat and in office, most blacks are going to vote for Obama's party. That just wouldn't be a smart strategy. Not that I don't love my brothas, but most of them dig Obama, I only know one black guy who liked McCain in 2008.