PDA

View Full Version : Three Point Plan for Economic Prosperity

Elwar
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Free markets and limited government are the foundation of prosperity. Economic policy should foster entrepreneurship, innovation, and individual choice, not direct economic activity to satisfy political interests in Washington. Americans should be free to make their own economic decisions because individuals, not government, know what is best for themselves and their families. This freedom unleashes the creativity and enterprising spirit that fuels economic opportunity and an equal playing field for all Americans.

To achieve these goals, the U.S. must adopt three approaches:

1) SLASH EXPENDITURE: Excess spending is rampant in the U.S. budget, producing an unsustainable path for federal debt. The U.S. must restrain spending across the board:

Scale back entitlement programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, which threaten to bankrupt the nation’s future.
Eliminate the costly and ineffective military interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan; target defense spending to actions that truly protect the United States.
Stop spending on the fiscal stimulus.
Reduce subsidies for agriculture, transportation, energy, housing, and all other special interests.

2) CUT TAXES: The U.S. tax system imposes an enormous toll on productivity through high marginal rates, absurd complexity, loopholes for the well-connected, and incentives for wasteful decisions. The government must lower the tax burden to stimulate the economy. This means:

Eliminate punitive taxation of savings and investment.
Simplify the tax code; stop using it to reward special interests and control behavior.
Adopt a flat tax on income or consumption.

3) SHRINK FEDERAL INVOLVEMENT IN THE ECONOMY: Much federal intervention is a payout to special interests or counterproductive meddling that stifles competition, innovation, and growth. We should:

Reject auto and banking bailouts, state bailouts, corporate welfare, cap-and-trade, card check, and the mountain of regulation that protects special interest rather than benefiting consumers or the economy.
Restrict Federal Reserve policy to maintaining price stability, not bailing out financial firms or propping up the housing sector.
Eliminate government support of Fannie and Freddie.
Reduce or eliminate federal involvement in education; let states expand successful reforms such as vouchers and charter schools.
Legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana; emphasize harm reduction for other drugs.
Expand free trade and legal immigration.

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/comment.php?comment.news.18

The Patriot
02-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Can't support a guy who wants to keep the Federal Reserve and "tax and regulate" Marijuana.

Elwar
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
From the looks of this, he's going for the Joe Six Pack vote...

Hopefully he can pull enough of them so that when he drops out and endorses Ron Paul, they'll follow.

lx43
02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I would vote and support him over any of the so called republican contenders for 2012, i.e., Palin, Romney, Grinch; with the exception of Ron Paul. I like his track record in NM, he walks the walk of small govt.

lx43
02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Critisim of his proposal:

1. Advocate the complete elimination of the federal income tax, not just simple modification. The income tax is immoral and its plain theft.
2. Reducing spending on entitlements doesn't solve the long term problem, the programs should be eliminated entirely because they are unconstititional.
3. Elminate the federal reserve.

Elwar
02-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I must say that I'm somewhat dissapointed in the small steps he wants to take to fix things, even though they are steps in the right direction.

Something tells me that the 2012 primary will have a vast array of candidate stances with varying degrees of support on many different issues.

This one won't be a cake walk, that's for sure.

Toureg89
02-10-2010, 01:50 PM
I would vote and support him over any of the so called republican contenders for 2012, i.e., Palin, Romney, Grinch; with the exception of Ron Paul.
+1

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I must say that I'm somewhat dissapointed in the small steps he wants to take to fix things, even though they are steps in the right direction.

Yeah, they are steps in the right direction. And not too complex to confuse the masses. This is a guy that won a Governorship, so hopefully his instincts are good.

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Expand free trade and legal immigration.

That's a bit risky. Even Ron Paul doesn't talk about expanding immigration in our current economy. McAmnesty took quite a beating for it...