PDA

View Full Version : GOP Rep. Ehlers to Retire; Bring on Justin Amash

bobbyw24
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
ANGELATC'S BLOG MAKES THE WSJ BLOGS

By Susan Davis

Michigan Republican Rep. Vern Ehlers announced today that he will not seek re-election this November. The announcement adds to a growing list of House GOP retirements, but the party stands a good chance of holding on to the seat, which was once held by former President Gerald Ford.

“While I regret leaving when so much more needs to be done, I know it is time for me to step down. I am in good health, but I recognize that I should complete this chapter of my life. I look forward to spending more time with my wife and my family in Grand Rapids,” The lawmaker said in a statement today.

Ehlers, 76 years old, was first elected in 1992 and has not faced a serious challenge for his Western Michigan congressional district since. It is a Republican district but John McCain won by a narrow 2,000 vote margin against Barack Obama there in 2008. However, George W. Bush defeated John Kerry there by a 19-point margin in 2004.

Ehlers’s decision to retire comes a day after a younger and more conservative Republican, state Rep. Justin Amash, announced his primary challenge. Amash also has the support of local tea party activists and has also secured the endorsement of a handful of Michigan state representatives.

“If you are a fan of Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Rand Paul, Jeff Flake, or Paul Ryan you should be rooting for Justin Amash,” conservative blog Red State Eclectic wrote today.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/02/10/gop-rep-ehlers-to-retire/

Epic
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Republican (R+6) district. Just need to win the primary.

angelatc
02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I blog there, but it belongs to Laura Ebke. How cool for her!

bobbyw24
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I blog there, but it belongs to Laura Ebke. How cool for her!

Thanks for the clarification

I sent Laura a copy of the WSJ piece