PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Jim DeMint twitters: D.C. snow will continue 'until Al Gore cries uncle'

bobbyw24
02-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) on Tuesday used the D.C. snowstorm to make a political jab, saying that it provides evidence for global warming skeptics.

The conservative senator took to Twitter on Tuesday amid reports that the area is due to receive another 10 to 20 inches of snow this week:

It's going to keep snowing in DC until Al Gore cries "uncle"

Some conservatives have echoed DeMint's sentiments that the snowstorm should poke holes in evidence backing global warming.

DeMint took direct aim at the former vice president, who is one of the foremost proponents of government action to counter global warming.

http://thehill.com/blogs/twitter-room/other-news/80395-demint-dc-snow-will-continue-until-al-gore-cries-uncle

Aratus
02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
the totall seasonal amount is a record one at this monent in time.
the only D.C record not eclipsed is the 28 inches in one storm...

FrankRep
02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Blizzards Caused by Global "Warming"?
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/2919-fimbulwinters-blizzards-caused-by-global-qwarmingq

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs170.snc3/19766_1123474106677_1821862935_235292_1900968_n.jp g

lx43
02-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Washington needs another 5 feet of snow so Congress can't pass anymore laws. ;)

torchbearer
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Washington needs another 5 feet of snow so Congress can't pass anymore laws. ;)

I was actually thinking about this- natural intervention keeping congress from passing anymore laws. bury the place under an ice sheet.

lx43
02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Ice sheet is better b/c its much harder than snow. lol

torchbearer
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
we are about to have our 3rd snow storm this year in louisiana. it usually snows once a decade.

libertarian4321
02-11-2010, 04:02 AM
The theory is about global warming, not global snow forecasting.

Snow is not necessarily indicative of extraordinarily cold temperature.

In order to show that there is no global warming, you'd need to show a long term trend of decreasing (or steady) temperature (note: the past few days does not constitute a "long term").

You will also note that it's called "GLOBAL warming," not "East Coast of the United States Warming." Just because Washington is a bit cooler than normal this week doesn't mean the whole world is.

While Washington and NYC have had a few days of snowy and slightly colder than normal temperatures, Vancouver is unseasonably warm, and there isn't a snowflake in sight. This is a place that normally has snow (that's one of the reasons why they are holding the winter Olympics there). It's so bad they are trucking in loads of snow for the Olympics (and that trucked in snow is melting in the rain).

devil21
02-11-2010, 04:14 AM
The theory is about global warming, not global snow forecasting.

Snow is not necessarily indicative of extraordinarily cold temperature.

In order to show that there is no global warming, you'd need to show a long term trend of decreasing (or steady) temperature (note: the past few days does not constitute a "long term").

You will also note that it's called "GLOBAL warming," not "East Coast of the United States Warming." Just because Washington is a bit cooler than normal this week doesn't mean the whole world is.

While Washington and NYC have had a few days of snowy and slightly colder than normal temperatures, Vancouver is unseasonably warm, and there isn't a snowflake in sight. This is a place that normally has snow (that's one of the reasons why they are holding the winter Olympics there). It's so bad they are trucking in loads of snow for the Olympics (and that trucked in snow is melting in the rain).

A bit colder this week? I know you're in Texas but I can assure you that this whole winter has been more than a "bit colder" on the East Cost. Record low temps already this winter in addition to the much increased snowfall. You say that snow isn't indicative but yes from DC south has average lows much higher than freezing during the winter and that is why snow, particularly sustained snow, is so unusual. It still has to be COLD for it to snow.

Now whether this is the early stages of a trend I dont know for sure, but Ive noticed a slow cooling over the last few winters in my area. I don't run my heat much so I use a "clothing index". How much clothing do I have to wear inside during the winter to stay comfy, iow. It's been increasing every winter for the last few winters. Scientific? No way. But damn convincing to me.

Btw, Vancouver isn't known for lots of snow in the first place. It's more similar to Seattle's climate than to Maine's.

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-11-2010, 06:55 AM

Warming stopped about a decade ago. The worldwide temperature plateaued and has decreased somewhat in the last 3 years. It takes on average at least 10 years, due to lag time, for changes to be reflected as the planet's oceans act as a massive heat sink. Increasingly cold temps during wintertime are probably going to continue into the future (winter may even get longer so to speak) the longer the sun is relatively quiescent. You wanna know why we're freezing our asses off? Study that giant ball of illuminated plasma we call The Sun.