PDA

View Full Version : Justice Department seeking lawyers with ‘mental retardation’

bobbyw24
02-10-2010, 05:58 AM
WASHINGTON -- In its ostensible attempt to create a nondiscriminatory application process, the Department of Justice is inviting candidates with "mental retardation" to pursue attorney posts.

A DOJ job listing at its official Web site reveals that its Civil Rights Division is seeking 10 "experienced" trial attorneys for its Voting Section in Washington, D.C. and is encouraging "qualified applicants with targeted disabilities to apply."

The targeted disabilities it mentions include "mental retardation" and "mental illness," among others such as blindness and deafness.

Successful applicants are tasked with "enforcing federal statutes and executive orders that prohibit, among other things, unlawful discrimination in voting, education, employment, housing, police services, public accommodations and facilities, and federally funded and conducted programs."

http://rawstory.com/2010/02/justice-department-seeks-applicants-mental-retardation/

TheEvilDetector
02-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Applications are now open for beach lifeguards who don't know how to swim as well as chefs who don't know how to cook.

In the past these skills were required, but it is now understood by an enlightened public that these primitive hiring practices were discriminatory towards those who did not have such skills
and accordingly have been made unlawful.

coyote_sprit
02-10-2010, 06:32 AM
This is a good thing, if the government is being defended by retards in court, it makes life for the common man easier.

Plus I've always felt retards should stick together, makes it easier to gas them.

Elwar
02-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Have they tried DC? There are a bunch of them on Capitol Hill.

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Have they tried DC? There are a bunch of them on Capitol Hill.

very good, very good sir.

MelissaWV
02-10-2010, 08:23 AM
It's a generic, moronic document release oversight. Instead of saying "We don't discriminate," they are looking like idiots, and instead of saying "We don't mind if you're blind or deaf," they also have included other disabilities people have. They still can't hire lawyers who aren't lawyers, which means having the proper schooling and having passed the relevant exams, which almost automatically excludes the "mentally retarded" to begin with.

Other than qualified lawyers, I have no idea why there'd be a need to "encourage" a certain group or another to apply. It's just more cheerful inclusion-speak run amok.

jmdrake
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Applications are now open for beach lifeguards who don't know how to swim as well as chefs who don't know how to cook.

In the past these skills were required, but it is now understood by an enlightened public that these primitive hiring practices were discriminatory towards those who did not have such skills
and accordingly have been made unlawful.

Less than perfect analogy. Not knowing how to swim is not an inherent physical attribute. Now someone applying to be a lifeguard who was a quadriplegic would fit.

Anyway, if someone isn't retarded when the go to lawschool there's a better than odd chance they'll be brain damaged before they get out. :D

MelissaWV
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Less than perfect analogy. Not knowing how to swim is not an inherent physical attribute. Now someone applying to be a lifeguard who was a quadriplegic would fit.

Anyway, if someone isn't retarded when the go to lawschool there's a better than odd chance they'll be brain damaged before they get out. :D

Or chefs without a sense of smell.

Ultimately, though, skills tests settle this. If you're applying to be a chef, you need to demonstrate that you can cook, manage a kitchen, judge quality, etc.. If you can someone manage to do all of that without being able to smell/taste, amazing stuff... but you're not likely to be able to do it.

jmdrake
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Or chefs without a sense of smell.

Ultimately, though, skills tests settle this. If you're applying to be a chef, you need to demonstrate that you can cook, manage a kitchen, judge quality, etc.. If you can someone manage to do all of that without being able to smell/taste, amazing stuff... but you're not likely to be able to do it.

Hmmm...didn't think of that.

Anyway each semester we get emails from student affairs from someone who needs help with note taking, and this is at a top tier law school. So it's possible to become a lawyer with a mental handicap. Advertising specifically for that is still odd though.

MelissaWV
02-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Hmmm...didn't think of that.

Anyway each semester we get emails from student affairs from someone who needs help with note taking, and this is at a top tier law school. So it's possible to become a lawyer with a mental handicap. Advertising specifically for that is still odd though.

Visual or auditory impairment may necessitate a note-taker for classes, too, but not impact one's ability to practice law :) The inability to take notes does not necessarily mean the person in question is mentally handicapped.

jmdrake
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Visual or auditory impairment may necessitate a note-taker for classes, too, but not impact one's ability to practice law :) The inability to take notes does not necessarily mean the person in question is mentally handicapped.

I'm certain no one in the class has hearing problems. The teachers use the Socratic method and that would have shown up. Could be a visual problem, but I don't think so. For one thing a cousin of mine who was totally blind took great notes. But who knows.

bobbyw24
02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Advertising specifically for that is still odd though.

That's the part that I found bizarre.

SLSteven
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm certain no one in the class has hearing problems. The teachers use the Socratic method and that would have shown up. Could be a visual problem, but I don't think so. For one thing a cousin of mine who was totally blind took great notes. But who knows.

injured hand?