PDA

View Full Version : Video: 11 students arrested after disrupting Israeli ambassador's speech at UC Irvine

Liberty Star
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
"You have wasted half hour of a very busy individual" is the summary of this shocking clip with bunch agitation and angry response, some faculty threatens to expel students who interrupted Israeli ambassador's speech:

YouTube - Irvine, CA - 11 Arrested for Disrupting Israeli Ambassador's Talk at UC Irvine.flv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcaryZbL3gE)

11 students arrested after disrupting Israeli ambassador's speech at UC Irvine

February 9, 2010 | 7:01 pm

Soon after Israeli ambassador to the United States Michael Oren began his speech Monday night at UC Irvine, the first student rose.

“Michael Oren, propagating murder is not an expression of free speech,” the student in a gray hoodie yelled.

The remainder of his words were drowned out by an uproar of cheering and clapping from students sitting around him before he was led away by university police. It was the first of 10 interruptions throughout the speech, and by the end of the night, 11 UC Irvine and Riverside students were arrested and cited for disturbing a public event.

The students were held in a nearby room until Oren finished his speech and were then released, said university spokeswoman Cathy Lawhon.

They could face misdemeanor charges as well as university disciplinary hearings that could result in suspensions or dismissals, Lawhon said.

After the fourth disruption, Oren took a 20-minute break before he returned.

“I’ve spent most of my life living in and studying the Middle East and one of the great and eternal cultural facets of the Middle East is hospitality...even if you do not agree with them, even if they’re ostensibly your enemy,” Oren remarked, before continuing his speech. “I’m your guest here and I’m asking for the Middle Eastern hospitality for your guest, I’ve come into your house.”

The speech about U.S.-Israeli relations was organized by several organizations and campus departments “to address tough issues in an open kind of way,” said Shalom Elcott, president and chief executive of the Jewish Federation of Orange County.

Before the speech, Elcott said his group was aware of an orchestrated campaign in which he said students were assigned a position and statement to read in order to disrupt the ambassador’s speech. The group notified campus police.

Elcott and others blamed the university’s Muslim Student Union for the disruptions. A statement posted on that group’s website Monday condemned the university for inviting a man who “took part in a culture that has no qualms with terrorizing the innocent, killing civilians, demolishing their homes and illegally occupying their land.”

The union, however, denied responsibility for the protests.

“It was not put on by the MSU, but rather by students acting on their own,” said Hadeer Soliman, union spokeswoman. Only one of the students arrested could be reached, and he declined to comment.

During the speech, both the UC Irvine chancellor and the political science department chair chided the protesting crowd and called the disruptions embarrassing.

“Shame on you,” Chairman Mark Petracca yelled at one point.

But despite the constant interruptions, there was also a strange routine to the disturbances.

A student would stand up and yell his statement followed by both cheers and jeers from the crowd. Then, as if on cue, he would make his way to the aisle where waiting police officers led him out of the room.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/11-students-arrested-for-disrupting-israeli-ambassadors-speech-at-uc-irvine-.html

dannno
02-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Wow, this is AWESOME!!

Pretty much just the same thing happened on the other coast

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=230605

Liberty Star
02-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Actually I came across this YT clip from that one and found this story on google. Interesting conincidence.

At 5:25, the bearded guy is telling all the students walking out "you're failing your exams".

Wow, this affair could have interesting trail.

Dieseler
02-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Professor threatened them with failure.
On video.
I assume professor.
Good protest, nicely done and happy to see no one tazed.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:11 AM
very uncivil and unnecessary

hey, did you hear the busy and important guy say "divinely ordained"?

let's appreciate the fact nobody was tased!

why couldn't they just politely hold a protest outside and yell (like it showed in the end, so people can hear them either before or after)

BenIsForRon
02-10-2010, 01:11 AM
They had a good plan: make your statement, walk calmly towards the police. That way, no physical confrontation, just verbal.

How else are we supposed to make our voices heard? They aren't giving auditoriums to anti-war voices. If you can think of a better tactic, let us know.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:18 AM
They had a good plan: make your statement, walk calmly towards the police. That way, no physical confrontation, just verbal.

Were any of the 11 arrested the hecklers?

How else are we supposed to make our voices heard? They aren't giving auditoriums to anti-war voices. If you can think of a better tactic, let us know.

pass out flyers, hold a protest outside the room.

And UCI is known for hosting anti-Israel events.

Google "UC Intifada" or youtube "Malik Ali"

Liberty Star
02-10-2010, 01:19 AM

Protesters were louder than protest at other Univ, the Univ adminsiration dude with the mic was also pretty loud and threatening with expulsions.

It should have been less loud but civil protests against genocide of civilians are not unnecessary.

From appearances of the audience, it appears there were quite a few arabs and jews in attendance. America seems to be getting caught between their mideast land dispute more and more by the day, this looks like just another glimpse of that conflict.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Protesters were louder than protest at other Univ, the Univ adminsiration dude with the mic was also pretty loud and threatening with expulsions.

What's the point of being a teacher if you can't threaten students?

usually disruptions come from MEChA, 9/11 truthers and JDL, good people don't need to be hecklers, it's very rude and only lowers yourself.

It should have been less loud but civil protests against genocide of civilians are not unnecessary.

civil protests are necessary and I encourage it, I don't encourage disruptions like that. All it does is waste time, make you look bitter, and waste police resources.

dannno
02-10-2010, 01:23 AM

let's appreciate the fact nobody was tased!

why couldn't they just politely hold a protest outside and yell (like it showed in the end, so people can hear them either before or after)

Ya, they were soooo rude to that guy condoning and involved in murder and genocide they should be ashamed :rolleyes:

They should just go outside. Ya. That will do something :rolleyes:

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Ya, they were soooo rude to that guy condoning and involved in murder and genocide they should be ashamed :rolleyes:

say that to the average American who can't think critically.

Oren should be ashamed, but that doesn't mean hecklers shouldn't be for the disruption.

They should just go outside. Ya. That will do something :rolleyes:

heckling did what? Oren didn't get to speak his case, not sure if Q&A happened, and what did they accomplish? Oren change his mind? Any policy changes from this disruption?

No, all they did was upset the crowd and show they're unable to make civil confrontation (a good add-on the already bad reputation of linking Palestine sympathizers with suicide bombers)

Liberty Star
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
What's the point of being a teacher if you can't threaten students?

Failing exams for their political protest outside class? You have strange idea about conduct of teachers. This guy , if is a professor or universty staff, is going to be in some serious doo with his threats caught on tape.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
UCI co-sponsors: Anteaters for Israel, Department of Political Science, Center for the Study of Democracy, School of Law, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Chabad at UCI, Hillel, College Republicans, Middle East Studies Student Initiative, Model United Nations

http://www.socsci.uci.edu/node/921

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Failing exams for their political protest outside class?

Also unnecessary, but he had to say it!

You have strange idea about conduct of teachers.

no, I just understand not to mess with people who have power over you.

This guy , if is a professor or universty staff, is going to be in some serious doo with his threats caught on tape.

probably.

Promontorium
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
This is interesting. I also find it a bit eerie that some student union can act like Al Jazeera making political attacks at the school, hide behind their website, and "not take responsibility". It's almost giving me a headache what obvious parallels could be drawn.

Muslim students want to hurt the Jews. They pick a handful of sacrifical students who willingly put themselves into custody immediately after their sacrificial interuption. The head organization posts attacks on the whole system, condemning everyone, except the glorious students who went down with honor, and then deny having any part of it.

Seriously what the fuck?

Liberty Star
02-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Also unnecessary, but he had to say it!

no, I just understand not to mess with people who have power over you.

probably.

We can crticize loudness of protest but with subservient, obedient attitude like that towards people with "power", I don't know what to say here. People have the power.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:37 AM
This is interesting. I also find it a bit eerie that some student union can act like Al Jazeera making political attacks at the school, hide behind their website, and "not take responsibility". It's almost giving me a headache what obvious parallels could be drawn.

Muslim students want to hurt the Jews.

I don't think they necessarily wanted to hurt anybody.

They pick a handful of sacrifical students who willingly put themselves into custody immediately after their sacrificial interuption.

exactly, and what did they accomplish?

The head organization posts attacks on the whole system, condemning everyone, except the glorious students who went down with honor, and then deny having any part of it.

Seriously what the fuck?

doesn't matter who ordered or organized it, the hecklers themselves paid, willingly.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:38 AM
We can crticize loudness of protest but with subservient, obedient attitude like that towards people with "power", I don't know what to say here. People have the power.

think of long term consequences and avoid trouble. all I have to say.

Promontorium
02-10-2010, 01:40 AM
No one had to go to that speech. Disrupting in order to silence speech is the antithesis of liberty.

I wish you could see your own hypocrisy.

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:40 AM
No one had to go to that speech. Disrupting in order to silence speech is the antithesis of liberty.

I pretty much agree

Reason
02-10-2010, 01:42 AM
WaltM is a troll in case you guys hadn't noticed already...

dannno
02-10-2010, 01:43 AM

"Propagating murder is not an expression of free speech."

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:43 AM

telling people not to disrupt events and get arrested makes me a troll? fine. :eek:

WaltM
02-10-2010, 01:44 AM
"Propagating murder is not an expression of free speech."

disrupting an event instead of waiting for Q & A isn't an expression of respect for free speech.

disorderlyvision
02-10-2010, 01:57 AM

I have

BlackTerrel
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
I don't like how we've gone from non-interventionist to so anti-Israel. According to LibertyStar 49% of Americans support Israel and 7% support the Palestinians so it's a bit of an odd strategy.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=202687

BTW given those 49 and 7 numbers does the opposite ever happen? Are Arab speakers ever interrupted 11 times during a speech or do the 49 generally spend their time doing more productive things?

BlackTerrel
02-10-2010, 02:40 AM
YouTube - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Columbia University (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsDQCfZQ-I)