PDA

View Full Version : Florida's Crist: I’m a True Blue Reagan Conservative

bobbyw24
02-09-2010, 07:30 AM
By: Jim Meyers

Florida Republican Gov. and U.S. Senate candidate Charlie Crist defended himself against charges he is not a strong conservative, vowing that if he were in the Senate now, he would vote against President Obama’s budget and tax increases and vigorously oppose the Democrats’ healthcare reform plan as well.

The popular governor announced on May 12, 2009, that he was not seeking re-election and instead would run for the Senate seat vacated by Republican Mel Martinez.

Editor's Note: See Newsmax.TV video with Florida Gov. Charlie Crist Below.

As a Senate candidate, Crist is facing a stiff challenge from former Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio in the Republican primary. Rubio has been rising in recent polls, surprising political pundits in the Sunshine State.

“Rubio claims he is the true conservative in the race, and some Republicans say you’re not conservative enough,” Newsmax.TV’s Ashley Martella said, and asked: “How do you respond?”

“I think it’s kind of funny, to be honest with you,” Crist answered.

“I’m an anti-tax, pro-life, pro-gun Republican, and I think it’s very clear that during my entire career I’ve never voted for a new tax. I’ve always thought it was important to put people first, to make sure they have the opportunity to make their own decisions about their lives without the government intruding. If that’s not conservative, I don’t know what is . . .

“I’m proud of what we’ve done in Florida. When I got elected governor, out of the 50 states we were ranked 31st in education. We went from 31st to 14th to top 10 and this year top eight in education.”

http://newsmax.com/Headline/crist-florida-governor-rubio/2010/02/08/id/349315

Pennsylvania
02-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Why anyone would want to qualify their political ideology with the name of that disgusting culture warrior is so far beyond me.

Reagan conservatives to the lions.

BuddyRey
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Why anyone would want to qualify their political ideology with the name of that disgusting culture warrior is so far beyond me.

Sounds harsh, but it's true. He played ball with the neocon/theocon agenda 99.9% of the time.

LibertyEagle
02-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Reagan was totally different after he was shot.

Crist is no conservative.

BuddyRey
02-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Reagan was totally different after he was shot.

Crist is no conservative.

Exactly, which is really odd when you think about it, because Reagan's campaign rhetoric was really incredible, powerful stuff. Yet he's shot just days into his Presidency and suddenly he loses his nerve and starts making concessions to the George H.W. Bush wing of the GOP. What do you think happened to him?

lester1/2jr
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
yeah so is raph nader!

haaaylee
02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Exactly, which is really odd when you think about it, because Reagan's campaign rhetoric was really incredible, powerful stuff. Yet he's shot just days into his Presidency and suddenly he loses his nerve and starts making concessions to the George H.W. Bush wing of the GOP. What do you think happened to him?

He realized why he was shot and learned his lesson.

AuH20
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM

While Reagan was much more bark than bite, I'd be remiss to mention that the venerable Ben Franklin was a so-called "culture warrior" as well. ;)

KAYA
02-09-2010, 10:40 AM
“I’m an anti-tax, pro-life, pro-gun Republican" Anytime I hear these words, its like scratching on a chalkboard. This is establishment "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" retoric.

This is the bait they always uses to pit one side against the other and avoid talking about the real issues that are destroying our country. I don't want to hear about tax cuts! I want to hear about cutting spending, taking on the Fed Res, sound money, abolishing the IRS and moving toward some type of fair or flat tax.

The whole pro-life, pro-gun thing are boogie men in the closet issues. The taking of an innocent life without due process under the law and gun control are unconstitutional. Therefore, talk about your support of judges constitutional original intent judges.

AParadigmShift
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Exactly, which is really odd when you think about it, because Reagan's campaign rhetoric was really incredible, powerful stuff.

That's the problem with these cretins: their talk really is cheap. Espousal of classical-liberal, trueconservative or libertarian ideals is easy enough, but where the rubber meets the road - when principles actually matter - the implementation of such are almost always neglected in deference to the aggrandizement of Leviathan, the all-powerful State.

And what needs undoing, in our case, is so monumental a task that we must choose candidates wisely.

HOLLYWOOD
02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Politicians... Everyone of them want to be someone else.

Why can't they follow the US Constitution to the letter and represent the people?

Drama Clowns.