PDA

View Full Version : ron paul radio is not currently broadcasting Ron Paul content?

walt
10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
what gives - this should be Ron Paul 24/7...

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
We're (re)playing the PBS debate coverage.

walt
10-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I heard you "spinning records" a few minutes ago...there was zero ron paul content at that time.

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
lol, well it *is* an internet radio station.

walt
10-06-2007, 01:10 PM
uhm no - it's "Ron Paul Radio" - not DjLoTi's random content.com

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Right. Ron Paul radio, a 24/7 internet radio station dedicated to freedom and liberty. It's not Ron Paul's radio, nor is it 'the official Ron Paul internet radio station', it's a grassroots internet radio station created by supporters and for supporters.

itsnobody
10-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah a lot of the DJs decide to just play random music a lot of the times instead of just ALL Ron Paul content

LibertyEagle
10-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Hey Walt... DJ started this on his own dime. If you don't like it, or think you can do better, it sounds like a marketing opportunity for you. Start a new station, if you think you can do better.

Otherwise, perhaps you want to be a little nicer and limit your comments to constructive feedback.

Bradley in DC
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Walt... DJ started this on his own dime. If you don't like it, or think you can do better, it sounds like a marketing opportunity for you. Start a new station, if you think you can do better.

Otherwise, perhaps you want to be a little nicer and limit your comments to constructive feedback.

Amen.

Walt, the station is devoted to the freedom philosophy "epitomized" by Dr. Paul. I for one often find that music can be quite liberating.

0zzy
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
If you don't like what Ron Paul Radio is doing, make your own radio station! It's called free market :).

I enjoy it from time to time. I usually look up videos and articles on the Paul man via google usually though ;)

walt
10-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Liberty,

I got 3 private IMs supporting me in the past 10 minutes. I'm being very nice. his domain and content represent all of us and if he thinks playing cool radio dj is more important than electing Ron Paul, that is indeed his right, but then he should hand over the domain to someone else so as not to harm Ron Paul when random voters interact with this non-ron paul content and do whatever he wants on djloti.com.

If I'm tuning into this radio station this weekend, I'm expecting a register republican in NH and NY marathon...

Onto higher priority battles which I ask for your help with http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=23016

LibertyEagle
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Liberty,

I got 3 private IMs supporting me in the past 10 minutes.

I don't care if you got 52. Might doesn't make right, you know. :rolleyes:

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
forward it to our email address. I don't have osmosis.

Bradley in DC
10-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Comments can also be left here;

http://www.ronpaulradio.com/2007/08/23/ron-paul-radio/#comments

DJ, perhaps an "about" button at the top explaining this all would help. :cool:

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 01:45 PM
yeah, we've got a new schedule layout coming, a little changes to the website as well. Also, I sent you an email ;)

ronpaulhawaii
10-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Liberty,

In all my time here this is only the second time I've seen the PM argument used. Considering the vocal nature of this group I find it hard to fathom that PM's would be used to influence a debate. Who-ever is PMing you should get out in the open, stand up and be counted. If this is that important to you all then have some courage and post openly.

I for one think the music etc on the radio is great. It shows that we are not fanatical and just regular people who support RP.

Walt, what do you suggest for programming 24/7, how long will it take before we have repetition which will turn off listeners?

my 2 cents

UtahApocalypse
10-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Do you even know how much work, content, time, and all of that it takes to make RPR possible? There is a schedule thats posted as to when shows are, if you only want to hear that then listen then. Replays of events, debates, and shows are also played at various times. RPR has been given press credentials for events, and even debates. They have shows you will not hear ANYWHERE else online or over the air. This station is also run completely by volunteers, no one is making money of of it. Most of the people behind the scenes and shows are also involved in many more grassroots items, what have YOU done to support Ron Paul? Sure now and then there is music, most of us who are there a lot and in the chat find that relaxing to be able to step back take a break and relax now and then.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-06-2007, 01:51 PM
If you don't like what Ron Paul Radio is doing, make your own radio station! It's called free market :).

I enjoy it from time to time. I usually look up videos and articles on the Paul man via google usually though ;)

we don't have a free market

that's my excuse :)

ghemminger
10-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Walt - this is the beginning stages of a grassroots 24/7 Ron Paul Radio Station - take your negative comments eleswhere my friend - easy to be a critic - try doing something!

kylejack
10-06-2007, 01:54 PM
For his crimes against humanity, for playing music on the Ron Paul radio station, and for jaywalking a year ago, Djloti will be executed by order of the honorable King Walt and his Elite PM Squad. Bring forward the prisoner!

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Walt - this is the beginning stages of a grassroots 24/7 Ron Paul Radio Station - take your negative comments eleswhere my friend - easy to be a critic - try doing something!

I don't mind criticism, but people can't expect me to know their concerns by mind-reading. I read all emails I receive. If you don't send an email, there is no way for me to know what you're thinking. Personally, I would love feedback from tons of people, because it would make the station better. Like your 'NH and NY register push', I think that's a *great* idea. I wish you would have told us before the weekend was already half over. lol. If you don't contact us, you can't expect us to read your mind and know what to do.

walt
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM
In all my time here this is only the second time I've seen the PM argument used. Considering the vocal nature of this group I find it hard to fathom that PM's would be used to influence a debate. Who-ever is PMing you should get out in the open, stand up and be counted. If this is that important to you all then have some courage and post openly.

I for one think the music etc on the radio is great. It shows that we are not fanatical and just regular people who support RP.

Walt, what do you suggest for programming 24/7, how long will it take before we have repetition which will turn off listeners?

my 2 cents

I IM'd those people and told them to post openly in this thread. They so far have chosen not to. I guess they are the types that wouldn't toss tea overboard in Boston. :)

Right now, I point people to ronpaulaudio.com and say listen to this date and city speech. There is so much content there it's sick.

Personally I would find reports of what the meetup groups are doing that are working well in places to be highly useful. They could call in and record short segments or something. Again, my only point is this resource could be humming along at it's full potential in electing Ron Paul, but it's not yet.

Ron Paul Fan
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Here we go with the bickering and nitpicking again. I think DJ does a great job with ron paul radio and should keep doing what he's doing. I don't think people should tell him how to run his radio station because that goes against everything we're currently fighting for. DJ worked long hours to get the radio station up and running. If anything, DJ should be commended, not criticized.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not much interested in starting a radio station, but I was wondering: what are the minimal requirements? Maybe we can get multiple RP radio stations around the country? Just an idea.

Bradley in DC
10-06-2007, 02:01 PM
For his crimes against humanity, for playing music on the Ron Paul radio station, and for jaywalking a year ago, Djloti will be executed by order of the honorable King Walt and his Elite PM Squad. Bring forward the prisoner!

Kyle, I just vented on a big rant against being negative towards others, especially other forum members. We don't know if Walt has a good sense of humor or not yet. :D

Walt, it's good to bring up issues, especially respectfully as you did. DJ has been most receptive to suggestions and constructive criticism. No one should be afraid to approach him. The station is new and keeps improving.

(Oh, and for the record, it's Free World Media that gets the press credentials to the debates to broadcast over RPR.)

mdh
10-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Gee, I wonder why those people didn't come out in agreement with you in public on this thread. Funny, that... ;)

DjLoTi
10-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm not going to doubt his credibility, but if they'd prefer not to be involved in this 'public' discussion, they can always send an email to RonPaulradio.com

ghemminger
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
This is starting to sound like my meetup organizer....LOL

mdh
10-06-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm not much interested in starting a radio station, but I was wondering: what are the minimal requirements? Maybe we can get multiple RP radio stations around the country? Just an idea.

Terrestrial broadcasts are extremely hard work due to FCC licensing requirements.

walt
10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm not going to doubt his credibility, but if they'd prefer not to be involved in this 'public' discussion, they can always send an email to RonPaulradio.com

k , peace :D

Bradley in DC
10-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I IM'd those people and told them to post openly in this thread. They so far have chosen not to. I guess they are the types that wouldn't toss tea overboard in Boston. :)

Right now, I point people to ronpaulaudio.com and say listen to this date and city speech. There is so much content there it's sick.

Personally I would find reports of what the meetup groups are doing that are working well in places to be highly useful. They could call in and record short segments or something. Again, my only point is this resource could be humming along at it's full potential in electing Ron Paul, but it's not yet.

DJ, I think Walt wants to host a show. ;)

kylejack
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Bradley, have you ever seen Nicholson on the stand in A Few Good Men? I'm tired of people who want others to do things using their own funds to get out the message and then criticize them for the manner in which they do it. I could have made that point in a direct and confrontational way or I could have made it in a humorous way that lets him possibly realize the error of his ways, but not making the point at all was not an option I was willing to consider. Maybe next time I'll end it with a smiley for the humor-impaired. ;)

constituent
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Actually....

I was gone all day. My concerns have been aired personally with the Ron Paul Radio folks.

The good people at ron paul radio, like so many others involved in the grassroots need to embrace their position in the world right now and run with it. Part of this is keeping a level of professionalism that none of us feel like keeping.

I enjoy things the way they are over there, but I'm too broke to chip in any money. However, many of you have worked too hard to keep doing it for free. With that in mind, it would be beneficial to smooth out your presentation and your content in terms of raising funds. If you put the time in to drawing up professional plans, with exact terms for what you need to get a station going that is 100% on it, 100% of the time (atleast 98.5%), it would suprise me very much if the donations didn't start pouring in.

That's not to criticise, I think you guys are doing great and have come

A VERY VERY VERY LONG WAY.

But change won't come by just bitching and moaning at djloti, mdh, gimmi the hemmi, or anyone else... it is all voluntary, no one is getting paid as of yet...

you've got to be ready and willing to take that leap because the time is now. Have some faith in yourselves, your efforts, and the cause you've chosen to serve and continue stepping up to the plate.

walt, your donations would go a long way to help these guys, as would more constructive criticism. make of that what you will.

Bradley in DC
10-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Gee, I wonder why those people didn't come out in agreement with you in public on this thread. Funny, that... ;)

Maybe a foul-mouthed DJ frightened them off. :mad:

constituent
10-06-2007, 02:22 PM
oh yea, and in the PM, I told walt that I could sympathize with
his concerns, but that the best way to go about expressing
those concerns was through Slow and Steady Pressure.

it is important to understand that no one is technically running
the show, so to expect institutional style change to come
all at once seems absurd (without coughing up the loot
to cover the cost of the desired changes).

constituent
10-06-2007, 02:25 PM
i can't believe this thread has 35 posts.

constituent
10-06-2007, 02:28 PM

lol. i think i'm done posting here (josh, ban me and remove the temptation).

mdh
10-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Maybe a foul-mouthed DJ frightened them off. :mad:

If people are frightened of me, then I'm not sure what to make of them. I got plenty of positive feedback for my Sunday night shows; a lot of folks enjoyed them. Everyone has different tastes - it's a "broad coalition". :) Anyways, I am not broadcasting my Sunday show via rpr anymore. In the past, we didn't have any sort of language rules, and a lot of people enjoyed the format of that show... as I said, I had a lot of positive feedback for it. RPR is changing somewhat, and trying to be more professional now than we had been in the past, so it's no longer the appropriate venue for my Sunday night show. We still have a few on-air issues in terms of professionalism, but we're working through them as we come to decisions regarding what sort of rules need to be in place, what sort of formats we want to have, etc.

ronpaulnation
10-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I support the current format DJLoti has going on over there at RPR, keep spinning those tracks my friend, you are doing a kick ass job! Think about it guys, what is getting us grassroots name recognition and attention? Ron Paul Revolution Banners, Ron Paul Girl, etc. etc.

FreeMe.TV also has creative content that is not directly related to Ron Paul but is meant to be entertaining. Sure 95% of the content is Ron Paul but every once in a while it's nice to have fun isn't it?

Some of you that are criticizing are forgetting Ron Paul's number one rule.

HAVE FUN!

(dj I request more DJ island sessions! you're rhymes and house/trance/drum tracks rock! :D)

itsnobody
10-06-2007, 02:32 PM
I support the current format DJLoti has going on over there at RPR, keep spinning those tracks my friend, you are doing a kick ass job! Think about it guys, what is getting us grassroots name recognition and attention? Ron Paul Revolution Banners, Ron Paul Girl, etc. etc.

FreeMe.TV also has creative content that is not directly related to Ron Paul but is meant to be entertaining. Sure 95% of the content is Ron Paul but every once in a while it's nice to have fun isn't it?

Some of you that are criticizing are forgetting Ron Paul's number one rule.

HAVE FUN!

(dj I request more DJ island sessions! you're rhymes and house/trance/drum tracks rock! :D)

Why can't you have fun and have Ron Paul content? Usually people who don't know about Ron Paul Radio tune in and just hear a random song and tune off...

ghemminger
10-06-2007, 02:34 PM
De-railing Rp supporter for what they do and how they do it - helps no one - esp. RP - Walt needs to step back and take a chil pill - before he gets more RP supporters upset.....

LibertyEagle
10-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Are some of you offering your time to become a dj, or to put together a show that can be offered on RP Radio? Maybe you know of a leader in the Liberty movement that you can approach about doing a weekly show?

ronpaulnation
10-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Why can't you have fun and have Ron Paul content? Usually people who don't know about Ron Paul Radio tune in and just hear a random song and tune off...

Because what some here are suggesting is just recordings of Ron Paul speeches 24/7. What others are trying to do is integrate entertainment and the Ron Paul grassroots movement into one, so it maintains a level of excitment and newness, that's what keeps people coming back.

mdh
10-06-2007, 02:38 PM

I disagree... I doubt we have many listeners who do not know who Ron Paul is, first of all, but even the occasional one - why would they tune out if they heard a song?

constituent
10-06-2007, 02:40 PM
i said i'd do a show... even got the plugin... so whenever's clever.

but i would suggest that anyone interested get in touch w/ djloti@ ronpaul radio.

or start your own, more serious internet radio station. i'll help w/ that too... or not. it doesn't matter, but the more voices out there, the broader the appeal, the more likely RP is to win the presidency.

It is that simple.

ronpaulhawaii
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I think Bradleys suggestion of Walt hosting a program is great. I think everyone agrees that the station should be evolving in a professional direction.

perhaps there could be two stations in PRRadio.com,

ronpaulradio.com/talk
ronpaulradio.com/entertainment

I do think this was a good topic to bring up and I'm glad both sides are adding to the discussion.

busy busy

itsnobody
10-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Because what some here are suggesting is just recordings of Ron Paul speeches 24/7. What others are trying to do is integrate entertainment and the Ron Paul grassroots movement into one, so it maintains a level of excitment and newness, that's what keeps people coming back.
Yeah, intergrating entertainment is a great idea...I wouldn't want a boring radio station, so you seem to support what I'm saying, have Ron Paul content and have fun, instead of just random music and no RP content or only RP content and no fun......I mean random music is fine on some occassions like the Million Dollar countdown party for instance...

I disagree... I doubt we have many listeners who do not know who Ron Paul is, first of all, but even the occasional one - why would they tune out if they heard a song?
I'm not saying we have listeners who don't know who Ron Paul is, I'm saying we have listeners who don't know what Ron Paul Radio is....so I tell them about Ron Paul Radio then they tune in expecting it to be Ron Paul-related in some way and instead all they hear is music from the 80s or something and then they say wtf and just tune out....because they thought it would be about Ron Paul

constituent
10-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I think Bradleys suggestion of Walt hosting a program is great. I think everyone agrees that the station should be evolving in a professional direction.

ronpaulradio.com/talk

I do think this was a good topic to bring up and I'm glad both sides are adding to the discussion.

busy busy

that is an excellent idea, a whole family of stations!!!!!

orenbus
10-06-2007, 03:33 PM

ronpaulradio.com/talk

busy busy

Awesome idea!

I like this idea as long as it's not a huge amount more work for DJ and the crew.

or how about:

/ron_paul_recordings
/grassroots (talk+entertainment)

It would be interesting to see, which gets more listeners :)

JosephTheLibertarian
10-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Terrestrial broadcasts are extremely hard work due to FCC licensing requirements.

what are the requirements like?

Bryan
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM

ronpaulradio.com/talk

busy busy
I'll agree that is in excellent direction to set a goal to- branch out to several stations. :)

Lots of people support RonPaulRadio!

mdh
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
It's not so much about more work as it is a requirement for hosts. I would certainly push for this if our current lineup filled up, but it's not even close.

It would also require us to switch to icecast which is something austin and I have flirted with the idea of anyway, but... Well, it is a bunch of work, but it's a one-off sort of thing so not too big a deal. Anyway, the first point still stands. Breaking off a station that will have no content doesn't make any sense.

mdh
10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
what are the requirements like?

http://www.fcc.gov/ - from what I understand (and I've never done it myself), lots of paperwork, huge filing fees, and lots of waiting for licensure approval.

Then you'll need a way to broadcast - if you want to get far, you'd need towers, which are expensive in and of themselves. The wattage of each tower is tightly regulated, so you'll need more towers to cover more area - you won't get a 50,000W tower license anymore.

Then you'll need the inside gear, the studio, etc.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-06-2007, 03:39 PM
It's not so much about more work as it is a requirement for hosts. I would certainly push for this if our current lineup filled up, but it's not even close.

It would also require us to switch to icecast which is something austin and I have flirted with the idea of anyway, but... Well, it is a bunch of work, but it's a one-off sort of thing so not too big a deal. Anyway, the first point still stands. Breaking off a station that will have no content doesn't make any sense.

I have thought about creating a libertarian station. Seems like liberals have their "air america," and neo cons have their "fox news radio," so why not a libertarian variety? I will read the content of the dumb fcc ty

mdh
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I thought about creating a libertarian station. Seems like liberals have their "air america," and neo cons have their "fox news radio," so why not a libertarian variety? I will read the content of the dumb fcc ty

Nationwide, look at around $100,000,000 startup capital. That's hitting most major cities.

Bryan
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Understood. Goals can be long term too. :)

JosephTheLibertarian
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Nationwide, look at around $100,000,000 startup capital. That's hitting most major cities.

yes. but one cannot small?

mdh
10-06-2007, 03:46 PM
yes. but one cannot small?

Well, first you need to determine your target market. The other stations you mentioned were nationwide in as far as I know, all major markets - that is not small. :)

dircha
10-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I personally am sick and tired of armchair generals like Walt telling us what we should be doing, telling us that what we are doing is worthless, and stroking their own egos.

It's one thing to tell people that there might be legal risks to what they are doing, or that it might be damaging to our image, but you can take your sanctimonious, self-aggrandizing comments and shove them.

It's quite ironic to see supporters of a free-market, libertarian candidate insist that the volunteer, grass-roots effort should be run like a planned economy.

Here's what it comes down to: put up, or shut up.

If you want work done: volunteer. If you have an idea: do it. If you think you can do something better: prove it.

And when you have done it, come here and tell others about your success. Lead by example. And if you are successful, if you demonstrate that success, and if there are willing volunteers, then they will replicate what you have done elsewhere.

walt
10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I personally am sick and tired of armchair generals like Walt telling us what we should be doing, telling us that what we are doing is worthless, and stroking their own egos.

It's one thing to tell people that there might be legal risks to what they are doing, or that it might be damaging to our image, but you can take your sanctimonious, self-aggrandizing comments and shove them.

It's quite ironic to see supporters of a free-market, libertarian candidate insist that the volunteer, grass-roots effort should be run like a planned economy.

Here's what it comes down to: put up, or shut up.

If you want work done: volunteer. If you have an idea: do it. If you think you can do something better: prove it.

And when you have done it, come here and tell others about your success. Lead by example. And if you are successful, if you demonstrate that success, and if there are willing volunteers, then they will replicate what you have done elsewhere.

This thread is over now.

I suggest you put your energy into this initiative like others have. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=23016

JosephTheLibertarian
10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, first you need to determine your target market. The other stations you mentioned were nationwide in as far as I know, all major markets - that is not small. :)

I was just using them as examples ;) I'm not naive. NJ is liberal, so I think a "libertarian station" here would be dumb. NH would be better for this.

RadioDJforPaul
10-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow...how often does ron paul radio play music? Not freaking often. We only have 2 music shows, and those are at 1am on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Bah...Im not even wasting any more time with this thread.

empirenine
10-06-2007, 04:23 PM

There isn't enough content to play ONLY Ron Paul's voice 24/7 without repeating a lot of it.

Liberty is liberty, be free and do as you may.

ronpaulhawaii
10-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Herding Cats LOL

anyway

First we need to fill the line up at RRadio.

I think Georges program last night was good, didn't hear the whole thing so can't say if it was great or not. The segment I tuned in talked about issues of liberty and not RP exclusively. This seems a program for RPR/ent if such a critter develops.

The station should/does play RP songs (Dore/etc) on a regular basis. In fact, I think a playlist of "freedom" oriented songs should be developed and utilized. (This is not to say that other music should be shunned, chat produces plenty of requests and catering to listeners is important.) There are plenty of programming options that would fall under an entertainment heading and still promote RP. Dj asked me a while back about developing a Hawaiian show. It would be a good (entertainment) show and when I get other things off my plate I will again push the idea to the HI MUs. This could include news of HI MU activity, readings of local origin, hawaiian music and liberty oriented news, (haven't given it much thought yet.)

That said, there are plenty of RP exclusive concepts which could be developed. The best way I see this RPRadio/talk advancing is for hosts to step up and fill the current line-up with RPR/talk type content. When a tipping point is reached it will be time to create the two. Hopefully by that time there will be more people donating to RPRadio to help defray the costs.

Just my opinion and as with these forums content of RPRadio is at the discretion of the owner

m