PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever work for the census?

Distinguished Gentleman
02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Depending on where you are on the libertarian scale, you might find the idea as either somewhat less than ideal or an irrevocable sin.

Without divulging too much, the census would be one of the most sure choices in my and a lot of other peoples current situation. $15 an hour. Am I a nutjob for having moral qualms about working for the census? Are there conditions in which you would?

silverhandorder
02-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I voted yes as a first impression. I need to think about it. I am not against government workers. There are few exceptions where I would be against government workers. Army is a big one.

Just to make my position clear. If you did not vote/support for it you can use the service in good concience.

dannno
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
The census is supposed to be for districting purposes which I am OK with. So if the census wasn't tainted by irrelevant questions about things like guns and race and whatnot, which helps the cause of the statists and is destructive of our liberty, then yes, I suppose I might consider doing it if I was between jobs or something.

Distinguished Gentleman
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I guess I read too much Lew Rockwell :)

He came down pretty hard on it in a recent article (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=594)

Edit:
As a counterpoint to the article. Think about how Ron votes against earmarks but also assigns them to his district because he knows it will pass against his will. A logical comparison could be made between the opposing the census in general but also working for it.

WaltM
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
either you're going to do it, or somebody else will, there's no shortage of people who need a job & pay, so at least you can put your money to use as you wish, if you got a better job, good for you.

Vessol
02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Considering its goals now compared to its goals set in the Constitution, no, I would not work for the Census.