PDA

View Full Version : Murtha has died, Who will replace him?

msmccain
02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
With the unfortunate news of John Murtha's death, who do you think has a shot at his seat?

MsDoodahs
02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Murtha died? Really?

Yeah, just saw the headline.

What are the rules in the state for replacement?

Bruno
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
ht tp://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/08/rep-murtha-dead/

Pennsylvania Democratic Rep. John Murtha, the first veteran of the Vietnam war and one of the most powerful lawmakers in Congress, died Wednesday morning at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA, after complications from gallbladder surgery. Murtha was 77.

Pennsylvania Democratic Rep. John Murtha, the first veteran of the Vietnam war and one of the most powerful lawmakers in Congress, died Wednesday morning at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA, after complications from gallbladder surgery. Murtha was 77.

A native of New Martinsville, W.Va., voters elected first elected Murtha to Congress in a 1974 special election that spelled impending doom for President Nixon and congressional Republicans. That fall, Democrats wrestled away 49 House seats from the GOP, reeling from the scourge of Watergate and a presidency in shambles.

Murtha rose to become the chairman of the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee that controls spending for the Pentagon. Chairs of the appropriations subcommittee panels are viewed with such prestige on Capitol Hill that they’re called “cardinals.” That’s a nod to Rome because of the eminence these lawmakers hold over spending for their federal fiefdom.

Murtha was also the endorsed candidate of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to become majority leader when Democrats won control of Congress in 2006. But current House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) overwhelmingly defeated Murtha by secret ballot in a hard-fought leadership contest.

Murtha enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1952 and became a drill instructor at Parris Island. He served in Korea and received a Bronze Star and Two Purple Hearts for his service in Vietnam. He continued to be a member of the Marine Corps Reserves until he resigned as a colonel in 1990.

Murtha voted to go to war in Iraq the fall of 2002. But two years later, the Pennsylvania Democrat called for the U.S to withdraw from. Later on the House floor, Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH), the newest member of the House at the time, spoke in favor of the war and chided Murtha that “cowards cut and run, Marines never do.” Schmidt’s remarks ignited a firestorm on the House floor as lawmakers rose to Murtha’s defense. Schmidt later said she didn’t know that Murtha was a Marine. She withdrew her comments and apologized.

A hint of scandal lingered over much of Murtha’s career. The FBI named Murtha an “unindicted co-conspirator” in its ABSCAM sting operation in the late 1970s and early ‘80s. ABSCAM resulted in the conviction of five House members and one senator. The FBI recorded Murtha on videotape declining a $50,000 bribe from federal agents posing as Arab sheiks. But the Congressman did say he could be interested in future dealings.

Nicknamed “The King of Pork,” Murtha also faced scrutiny for earmarking federal dollars for projects in his district. Numerous news reports lambasted the Congressman for steering money to the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport. The facility received $150 million from Washington for upgrades despite limited commercial use. But the airport is also used for military purposes.

The Congressman also faced scrutiny for campaign contributions he and other appropriators received from the now defunct PMA lobbying firm. Murtha scored nearly $2.5 million in donations from PMA and its clients over a nearly 20 year period. The feds continue to scrutinize PMA. The Office of Congressional Ethics asked the House Ethics Committee to drop any inquiries into the dealings Murtha had with PMA.

Murtha also stirred controversy in the fall of 2008 with President Obama poised to become the first African American president. When asked about Mr. Obama’s chances in his Congressional district, Murtha responded that “there’s no question western Pennsylvania is a racist area.”

Even though Murtha won re-election, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) carried the district over by about 1,000 votes.

Despite controversy, Murtha was beloved by his House colleagues for holding court in what’s called “Murtha’s corner” in the rear of the House chamber. During a House vote series, Murtha could often be seen trading information or spinning yarns with fellow lawmakers. He also won the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award and Pennsylvania's two highest honors, the Distinguished Service Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.

Krugerrand
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100208/ap_on_go_co/us_obit_murtha

WASHINGTON – A spokesman says Democratic Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, a retired Marine Corps officer who became an outspoken critic of the Iraq war, has died. He was 77.

He had been suffering complications from gallbladder surgery.

In 1974, Murtha became the first combat veteran of the Vietnam War elected to Congress. He wielded considerable clout for two decades as a leader of the House subcommittee that oversees Pentagon spending. But frustration over the Iraq war led him to call for an immediate pullout of U.S. troops in 2005.

Murtha's congressional career was clouded by questions about his ethics — from the Abscam corruption probe in 1980 to more recent investigations into the special-interest spending known as earmarks and the raising of cash for election campaigns.

surf
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
outspoken war critic is how i'll remember him.

Matt Collins
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Probably a Teaocon like Scott Brown ugh

KAYA
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM

I'll remember him as one of the more collectivist, corrupt politicians in Congress.

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
due to complications of gallbladder surgery. He was 77

-t

KAYA
02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=230372

angelatc
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll remember him as one of the more collectivist, corrupt politicians in Congress.

Murtha = Airport.

pacelli
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Breaking.. he died last week.

KAYA
02-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Murtha = Airport.

Yeah, that's one good example.

angelatc
02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Murtha died? Really?

Yeah, just saw the headline.

What are the rules in the state for replacement?

Nobody seems to have that information in their articles yet, ....(edited because that wasn't right)

Epic
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32375.html

Mistake at government hospital cost him his life.

ronpaulhawaii
02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
WIKI editors are quick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania's_12th_congressional_district

Pennsylvania's 12th congressional district currently lacks representation following the death of Democrat John Murtha. The district has a Cook Partisan Voting Index score of R +1. The district is notable as the only congressional district in the nation that voted for Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry in 2004 but went for Republican John McCain in 2008.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Alright! One tyrant down. Thank you mother nature, and I heard also Government ineptness (Who woulda figured, huh!). I don't have any sympathy for the deaths of tyrants.

anaconda
02-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Me too. A critic and a veteran.

KAYA
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Nancy Pelosi is an outspoken critic as well. And just like Murtha was, she is corupt to the core.

Gaius1981
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I remember John Murtha as this despicable creature:

YouTube - An Insult To Our Democracy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8)

Rael
02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't have any sympathy for the deaths of tyrants.

This

Brian4Liberty
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Mistake at government hospital cost him his life.

I wonder how big the bill was? How much do they charge for the pleasure of being killed at the hospital?

angelatc
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM

He voted for the wars. Lockheed Martin is his biggest supporter.

KAYA
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM

YouTube - An Insult To Our Democracy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8)

Good one!

BuddyRey
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
This saddens me. Congress is already short on anti-war sentiment as it is.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
This saddens me. Congress is already short on anti-war sentiment as it is.

We would be better off if everyone in DC went the way of Murtha (save for Ron Paul :p). WE DONT NEED THEM! I DONT WANT THEM! THEY HAVE NO LEGITIMATE AUTHORITY TO RULE ME!

Matt Collins
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

That's the kind of stuff that should be on the news! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

familydog
02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
With the unfortunate news of John Murtha's death, who do you think has a shot at his seat?

Ultimately, does it matter?

Surely another corrupt politician will take his place.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
What I find fascinating is this is really a huge story in the democratic ranks; and CNN has not said one word about him or the story all evening.

Are they holding back on the stories until the thugs can decide how to legally or illegally get one of their guys in that position?

AParadigmShift
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Allow me a generous redaction to the title:

Murtha has died, WHAT should replace him?

I suggest an AVOCADO.

:p

cindy25
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
it was a Republican seat before Murtha.

no one who replaces him will have as much power, and I doubt if they will be a slavery advocate Murtha was

dgr
02-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Fox was first and then the CNBC finiance channell,, everyone else was doing Michael jackson' doctors arrest and Palin writing 3 words on her palm.

Early reports said they may not replace him until the general election. Now thats an unconfirmed, highly unlikely events unless they already have a state law covers it.

tangent4ronpaul
02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Breaking.. he died last week.

NOT!

-t

Liberty Star
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
A man has just died, all we're concerned about is his replacement?

Whatever happened to grieving period.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-08-2010, 08:46 PM
A man has just died, all we're concerned about is his replacement?

Whatever happened to grieving period.

Who grieves for TYRANTS?! To me, thats a cause for celebration.

Koz
02-08-2010, 08:59 PM

+1

Liberty Star
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM

God forbid when Bush and Cheney and Lieberman leave us, you would celeberate?

That sounds tad bit cold.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Yes I would. Cold? I wish they would perish now! Do you grieve for the robber who steals from you, and who you shoot in the process? What about the murderer who murders your children?

LibertyMage
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
The real question is - who are we putting forward to replace him.

In the current political environment, a well placed candidate with a well placed money bomb = a win for the Liberty Movement.

angelatc
02-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I doubt there's a liberty candidate in the wings. The neocon who ran against him last time around is apparently ready to run: www.Russellbrigade.com He's got a "so sorry!" note up, and indicated it will be up for 5 days, but after that I'm sure it's game on.

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
He voted for the wars. Lockheed Martin is his biggest supporter.

Indeedy. He voted 'NO' to Disallow the invasion of Kosovo.

haaaylee
02-08-2010, 10:27 PM
What district is he from?

JK/SEA
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
What district is he from?

nine.

qh4dotcom
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Alright! One tyrant down. Thank you mother nature, and I heard also Government ineptness (Who woulda figured, huh!). I don't have any sympathy for the deaths of tyrants.

I don't wish anyone to die, but I don't blame you...it's not like these tyrants give us another choice. At least he won't be doing anymore damage.

angelatc
02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
nine.

I think it's 12.

haaaylee
02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.pa2010.com/category/congress/

or

http://www.pa2010.com/2010/02/sizing-up-special-election-contenders-in-the-12th/

Imperial
02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes I would [celebrate Lieberman, Cheney, and Bush's death]. Cold? I wish they would perish now! Do you grieve for the robber who steals from you, and who you shoot in the process? What about the murderer who murders your children?

I am quite uneasy with passing judgements on the value of others when we are all hypocritical, ideologically and in our daily lives.

AlterEgo
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Sic semper tyrannis anyone?

But yes the results of the action of Bush Cheney and Liberman killed hundreds of thousands of people around the world, maybe even millions.

South Park Fan
02-08-2010, 11:38 PM
If Sam Rohrer weren't already in the governor's race, I would have suggested this.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Someone posted an awful youtube on here about six months ago. It should Murtha losing a vote and not counted the votes. It was Hitlerism at its' finest... It was simply sickening... He thought he was in the majority as far as demo's over repub's... so he threw his power around.

Can anyone find that video? It was on this forum.

Anti war or not... the guys was a class A crook.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Found it !!! He was a f'ing bas ...... tard

http://sroblog.com/2009/09/24/an-insult-to-our-democracy/

Matt Collins
02-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Someone posted an awful youtube on here about six months ago. It should Murtha losing a vote and not counted the votes. It was Hitlerism at its' finest... It was simply sickening... He thought he was in the majority as far as demo's over repub's... so he threw his power around.

Can anyone find that video? It was on this forum.

Anti war or not... the guys was a class A crook.
YouTube - An Insult To Our Democracy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8&feature=player_embedded)