PDA

View Full Version : The Tea Party Goes After Ron Paul

Tina
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
His son Rand’s campaign for Senate in Kentucky is going better than anyone could have expected — every Kentuckian I met at the National Tea Party Convention backed him — but Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) is drawing three primary opponents for his own re-election bid. Ironically, all three are from the Tea Party movement, which, as reporter Tom Benning points out, would be hard to imagine without the energy stirred up by Paul’s 2008 presidential bid.

Tea Party associations aside, many of the challengers’ criticisms echo concerns of Paul’s past opponents: that he is too focused on his national ambitions; that his views are too extreme; that he doesn’t support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; that he votes “no” on everything, including federal aid for his district after Hurricane Ike.

“The word I keep hearing is ‘ineffective,’ ” said [challenger John] Gay, a school business administrator. “This district is not really being represented as it could be.”:mad:

The criticism is, to say the least, ironic. Almost nothing that Paul does cuts against the rhetoric of the Tea Party movement that is mentioned most in the press: responsible spending and adherence to the Constitution. But some of it does cut against the priorities of national security conservatives and partisan Republicans.

There is one thing Paul does that might backfire. While Paul votes against basically all spending bills, he notoriously gets earmark requests into those bills, so that local projects survive when other members vote those bills through. That barely dinged Paul in 2008, but it may become an issue now.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
We should never have let the GOP hijack the hard work we put into the tea party creation.

I think we need a leader, would love for it to be Ron Paul.. he can stay in the GOP and be the tea party leader at the same time.

We should forge ahead with the movement and stay in course. The thought of GOP maggots like McCain and Palin raping our grassroots movement for their own gain; and to get more service people killed in wars is totally unacceptable.

Someone step up to the plate !!!

Vessol
02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
You. Me. All of us. Are the leaders, we all must step up to the plate.

RileyE104
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
This is ridiculous..

His primary opponents are just people trying to capitalize off the movement.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
This is ridiculous..

His primary opponents are just people trying to capitalize off the movement.

These hijackers are trying to portray us as more conservative than the GOP; especially when it comes to national security.. This can't be happening.

How do we separate ourselves from those people?

Morgan Brykein
02-08-2010, 08:34 PM
I think the Tea Party movement is being infected by the disease that is neoconservatism.

JK/SEA
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Tar party.

Liberty Star
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
To qualify as authentic neocons or teocons, you have to go after libertarians.

RM918
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I never got the earmark thing. The money's already spent, he's just getting back what he can. I'd understand the criticism if none of the people in his district paid taxes.

KCIndy
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
There is one thing Paul does that might backfire. While Paul votes against basically all spending bills, he notoriously gets earmark requests into those bills, so that local projects survive when other members vote those bills through. That barely dinged Paul in 2008, but it may become an issue now.

The overall point being that he consistently votes AGAINST spending bills, even those with his own earmarks included. As I understand it, he feels it is his duty as representative to include some earmarks requested by his constituency.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many people are going to understand the distinction. :(

Athan
02-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm a tea party member and Ron Paul IS my leader. I've been tea partying since '07.
A display of our legally owned firearms is the most eye catching phenomenon that really can't be outdone by any pro-establishment teocon in public gatherings because it is a "show of force" that is contrary to the current corrupt state.

reardenstone
02-08-2010, 10:05 PM
These hijackers are trying to portray us as more conservative than the GOP; especially when it comes to national security.. This can't be happening.

Not the popular answer but go back to the party that would most welcome us: the libertarian party.
(another topic altogether)

Tina
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Yup! It's a clever ploy that's working very well for the neocons. We're so screwed.

devil21
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I doubt Ron is losing sleep over his unknown challengers and their $3000 campaign bank accounts. The media is completely trying to make a non-story into a story.

anaconda
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
This is a very good thing. We needed the opportunity to distinguish the false tea party from the real deal.

The Deacon
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
They have about $20,000 in campaign funds combined.

Matt Collins
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
YouTube - Tea Partiers fighting against Ron Paul re-election (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85j5-rcUyNg)