PDA

View Full Version : Even GOP conservative Ron Paul draws Tea Party opposition

bobbyw24
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
By TOM BENNING / The Dallas Morning News
tbenning@dallasnews.com

WASHINGTON – Even anti-government icon Ron Paul can't escape the conservative "Tea Party" fervor stretching across the county.

Paul, the Gulf Coast congressman whose 2008 presidential run excited libertarians nationwide, even though he didn't get much traction overall, is considered by many to be the "father of the Tea Parties." But he has three opponents in the March Republican primary – more than he has faced in his past six primary campaigns combined.

All three have ties to the anti-tax Tea Party movement. And while Paul remains the odds-on favorite to win re-election in his district, the crowded primary highlights the potential conflict between Tea Party activists and a GOP hoping to ride their wave to electoral success this fall.

"The Tea Parties have awakened a lot of everyday people here and across America," said Tim Graney, one of Paul's opponents. "And Ron Paul is worried about getting swept up in the anti-incumbent wave as if he is some exception."

Not in lockstep

It is hard to know where Paul fits into the Tea Party landscape. Paul supporters say he launched the movement in 2007 when he raised $6 million in a one-day, Web-based fundraiser on the 234th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. His call for limited government and ending the Federal Reserve also resonates loudly in the Tea Party movement.

Continue

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/state/stories/DN-ronpaul_07tex.ART.State.Edition1.4bf50f3.html

TastyWheat
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I see one of them will be debating Ron. That should be good for a laugh.

Date: Saturday, February 20th
Time: 1:00PM - 4:00PM
Place: Taylor High School Performaing Arts Center, 20700 Kingsland Blvd, Katy, TX 77450
Hosted By: Katy Tea Party patriots

newbitech
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
"And Ron Paul is worried about getting swept up in the anti-incumbent wave as if he is some exception."

as if?

HOLLYWOOD
02-08-2010, 03:11 PM
By TOM BENNING / The Dallas Morning News
tbenning@dallasnews.com

WASHINGTON – Even anti-government icon Ron Paul can't escape the conservative "Tea Party" fervor stretching across the county.

We have to explain it to this Moron that RP is NOT "anti-government' it's per the Constitution, as in small / very limited federal government powers.

Shows you another media reporter, just doesn't gets it and "ASSUMES".

mello
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I see one of them will be debating Ron. That should be good for a laugh.

Can't wait to see that youtube!

roho76
02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't think the people of Texas CD-14 will be fooled. He's been there this long for a reason. They understand what they have and I'm sure they'll vote to keep it.

Old Ducker
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Duplicate thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=230225