PDA

View Full Version : What were the two most expensive laws passed during Bush's tenure?

erowe1
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't mean big generic things like "the 2009 annual budget". I mean laws that by themselves created some new government spending beyond just continuing programs already in place.

My guess is that it was the authorization to invade Iraq and the creation of Medicare Part D. Those are both of similar size at about $150 billion/year a piece. Is it right that those are the two biggest, or is there something else I'm missing?

jsu718
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
No Child Left Behind? Maybe not as part of the federal budget, but the effects it has had on schools everywhere have added up.

Dieseler
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm going with the Homeland Security Act.
Everyone surely must have at least one cousin working within this department by now.

erowe1
02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
NCLB is something like $25 billion/year.

The whole budget of the Dept. of Homeland Security is about $40 billion/year.

So those are both significant new spending items on their own, but the Iraq War and Medicare Part D dwarf both of them.

jsu718
02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
NCLB is something like $25 billion/year.

The whole budget of the Dept. of Homeland Security is about $40 billion/year.

So those are both significant new spending items on their own, but the Iraq War and Medicare Part D dwarf both of them.

It is $25 billion based only on federal expenditures, not based on the amount that local school districts have to additionally spend to meet the requirements.

erowe1
02-07-2010, 10:34 PM
There was also a famously huge pork laden transportation bill in 2005. It was over $280 billion. But I'm not sure how much that added to the budget in a permanent annual added expense beyond what was bound to happen in federal transportation spending anyway.

Dieseler
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Interesting, thanks.

jsu718
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Bank bailout? :D

erowe1
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
It is $25 billion based only on federal expenditures, not based on the amount that local school districts have to additionally spend to meet the requirements.

Good point. Any idea what that amount is in addition?

erowe1
02-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Bank bailout? :D

Good catch. I knew there was something obvious I was forgetting. TARP was $700 billion. But again, it's hard to know how that translates into annual cost in perpetuum.

erowe1
02-07-2010, 10:50 PM
OK. Here's my next question.

There were only two Republicans who voted against both the authorization to invade Iraq and Medicare Part D.

They incidentally also both voted against the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Security and No Child Left Behind. Unfortunately, one of them was not in office at the time that TARP was passed, or else they both would have voted against it too (he definitely was against it).

Ron Paul was one of those two. Who was the other?

jsu718
02-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Good point. Any idea what that amount is in addition?

Strictly from the increased paperwork, probably $150 million a year. Each state spends around $10-20 million just to be in compliance, but the real cost comes at the district/local level where additional teacher/tutors have to be hired, additional administrative staff, more teachers for the teacher/student ratio requirements, teacher training, retraining due to teachers retiring early to avoid the mess, etc. The costs are pretty much incalculable.

jsu718
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
OK. Here's my next question.

There were only two Republicans who voted against both the authorization to invade Iraq and Medicare Part D.

They incidentally also both voted against the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Security and No Child Left Behind. Unfortunately, one of them was not in office at the time that TARP was passed, or else they both would have voted against it too (he definitely was against it).

Ron Paul was one of those two. Who was the other?

Hostettler from IN, right?

erowe1
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Hostettler from IN, right?

Bingo.

And since Hostettler is running for Senate now, and polling within the margin of error against Evan Bayh, I think he should have his own subforum in the 2010 liberty candidates section here, IMHO.

Sorry for indulging myself, but this thread was my way of trying to get that point across here on the main board.

erowe1
02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Gratuitous bump.