PDA

View Full Version : Paul "endorses" Tancredo?

Mastiff
10-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I always kinda liked Tancredo, though I'm turned off that he won't talk about anything besides immigration. He was also sort of disappointing at the values voter debate. Anyway, I found it interesting that Paul picked him as the next best alternative after himself during the Wolf Blitzer interview.

Since Tancredo is going nowhere fast, how do we get him to give up before the primary and endorse Paul? :D I surfed around, but couldn't really find any sort of on-line community representing him. Do we have any point of entry?

0zzy
10-06-2007, 10:34 AM
It wasn't an endorsement per-say. It was a "we are good friends" line.

njandrewg
10-06-2007, 10:37 AM
it was a "We are good firends and he'll endorse me when he drops out" line

cujothekitten
10-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't think we should be trying to get the others to drop out of the race. They dilute the vote so it helps Paul a little. If you're looking to get a head start on gaining his supporter’s vote then you could probably attend some minutemen meetings and/or post on some of their forums. You don't need to talk them into voting for Ron, just let them know that Tancredo and Paul share similar views.

Tancredo will be dropping soon so we don’t need to push it.

Mastiff
10-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, if Tancredo stays through the primary, we'll get no help - at least not in winning the primary. I'd prefer for him to drop out prior to the primary. I think his endorsement would do more than just help carry over his supporters. It would give more impression that he has support from more mainstream conservatives. (I know he does anyway, but the media perpetuates the myth that only crossover independents and libertarians support Paul).

LibertyEagle
10-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Just leave Tancredo alone and keep promoting Ron Paul and his ideas. The rest will take care of itself.

Sean
10-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't see a problem with Tancredo dropping out. Tancredo is ok on domestic issues and I think his supporters might be drawn to Dr. Paul as illegal immigration issues are more important to them than continuing in Iraq. If Tancredo drops out and endorses Paul that will give Paul maybe a .5% bump so it would be a net benefit. Any of the candidates dropping out other than Fred, Mitt, John or Rudy benefits Dr. Paul.

trispear
10-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I wonder which candidates dilute the field and which candidates dilute our vote among conservatives?

The notion that all the other candidates dilute each other's votes is based on the premise that all their voters are single issue voters (for the War in Iraq) and I wonder if that really hold up for candidates like Brownback, Tancredo because some of their supporters may be going after a lesser candidate because they don't trust the top tier.

Grandson of Liberty
10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
It wasn't an endorsement, it was a polite response to a bullcrap question. I might have responded slightly less politely.

mdh
10-06-2007, 11:18 AM
What Dr. Paul actually said was that he and Tancredo have worked together in some things and agree on some things, but he also made clear that there are plenty of things he doesn't agree with, too.

sickmint79
10-06-2007, 11:19 AM
some people on the board need to learn what the word endorsement means...

yongrel
10-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Ron Paul gets a pat on the back for not losing his temper with the interviewer.

Were it me, I would have been far less polite. Far less.

Kregener
10-06-2007, 11:41 AM
And Ron is right, next to himself, Tom Tancredo is the next best thing...running.

Syren123
10-06-2007, 01:02 PM
The two ARE friends. They're 'outsiders' in Congress - honest men with integrity there to do a job for their districts and their country, traits considered "cooties" by other members of Congress.

Tom Tancredo was even told by Karl Rove that he was NOT welcome in the White House! Can you believe that?!

Mastiff
10-06-2007, 01:04 PM
some people on the board need to learn what the word endorsement means...

Lighten up man. I put it in quotes for a reason. I did take it to mean just what I said, that Ron thinks he's the next best option, though they disagree on things. It's encouraging to me because I also think Tancredo is the next best option.

Ron Paul Fan
10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Tancredo isn't just the next best option, he's the only option as an alternative for Dr. Paul. Wolf asked him a question, and he answered it the only way he could. Tancredo and Paul disagree on some things, but they are good friends and do agree on a bunch of other things. And as he pointed out in the interview, Giuliani and him are almost opposites and so are all of the other Republicans in the race.

Bradley in DC
10-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Just leave Tancredo alone and keep promoting Ron Paul and his ideas. The rest will take care of itself.

Exactly. Tancredo will announce in a month or so he's running for re-election to the House.

Mastiff
10-06-2007, 01:18 PM
id vote for ghouliani or clinton before tancredo sorry. his only good stance is on immigration. everything else is crap.

Examples? They both oppose socialized medicine for one.

Mastiff
10-06-2007, 01:30 PM
lol ummm im muslim, and for a congressman to even concider bombing Mecca, is a huge no no. Especially how its every muslims duty to go there, what we'll we go there to a big crater?

I don't know the history of that, but it sounds like you are saying you think he's too hawkish, which is fine, but far from "everything else is crap". It's more like they are largely in agreement on domestic issues and disagree to some extent on foreign policy.

Frankly, it's hard to know where Tancredo stands on lots of things because all he'll talk about is immigration.

Johncjackson
10-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Tancredo and Paul are friends, but I don't see how anyone who really supports Paul would consider Tancredo. A lot of friends have opposite views. The one thing they have in common is they are prinicpled. However, you could say that about a lot of people with terrible beliefs. There isnt anyone running for either major party with views close enough to Ron Paul to even consider as a second option. If you support RP, I think it's either voting for him ( whether he's on the ballot or not), NOTA, don't vote, or 3rd party. How could you really support Ron Paul and vote for a scapegoating, war-mongering opponent of freedom.

Mastiff
10-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Tancredo and Paul are friends, but I don't see how anyone who really supports Paul would consider Tancredo. A lot of friends have opposite views. The one thing they have in common is they are prinicpled. However, you could say that about a lot of people with terrible beliefs. There isnt anyone running for either major party with views close enough to Ron Paul to even consider as a second option. If you support RP, I think it's either voting for him ( whether he's on the ballot or not), NOTA, don't vote, or 3rd party. How could you really support Ron Paul and vote for a scapegoating, war-mongering opponent of freedom.

I'd like some specific examples. In my mind they are both small government, free market types. They differ on foreign policy, and RP is more principle when it comes to states' rights and not pushing his conservative views from the federal level.