PDA

View Full Version : Would you put the Bible before the Constitution when evaluating candidates?

rancher89
02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm watching the Tea Party Convention and one of the speakers mentioned putting the Bible before the Constitution when evaluating candidates.

IMHO, I would look to the Constitution first, and I try not to let a candidates religious beliefs enter into this particular equation, or my own for that matter.

Can you put the Constitution before the Bible?

Just curious :)

__27__
02-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I would put neither before the principles of liberty. Both documents are made by men, which are flawed, imperfect beings by design. Use the power of your own mind, not what some long dead person once said. God gave you free will, reason and logic, use them.

fedup100
02-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm watching the Tea Party Convention and one of the speakers mentioned putting the Bible before the Constitution when evaluating candidates.

IMHO, I would look to the Constitution first, and I try not to let a candidates religious beliefs enter into this particular equation, or my own for that matter.

As a christian nation, yes, the Bible should come first. The founding fathers DID put it first, don't be fooled by the history revisionists. The founders, all of them and every household had a book called Natures Law. That little book would take every subject from abortion, divorce, everything and condense it down to what the Bible would tell you to do in each situation, it was the guiding light of morality for this nation.

It was so important to the founders it is in the first paragraph of declaration of Independence. Do you ever hear this book mentioned? Have you ever seen one? No, it has been well hidden from the unwashed masses. I have held one in my hands and read it. I suggest all of you should do the same.

The first paragraph of the Declaration of Independence sets the stage for the American revolution and its indispensable reliance on the laws of God, the Creator.26 It declares:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with one another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitles them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

By invoking the "Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" the 56 signers of the Declaration incorporated a legal standard of freedom into the forms of government that would follow. The theory of freedom adopted was simply that God's law was supreme and gave freedom. The phrase "Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" referred to the laws that God in his capacity as the Creator of the universe had established for the governance of people, nations and nature. These laws are variously described as the laws of Creation, God's Creation laws or as the framers elected to refer to them, as the laws of nature and of nature's God. This body of law, whatever it is called, can be ascertained by people through an examination of God's creation, the text of the Bible, and to a certain degree, instinct or reason.

I have tried to find the book on the internet and find that all references to it and explanations for the term in the Declaration Of Independence has been white washed.

I have contacted my friend today that owns a copy, I will get it and give all of you a link to it or some way to actually read it. It needs to be put back into print so every American can understand the true God like morality this nation was founded upon.

Update:

The title: Of the LAW of Nature and Nations by Baron Purfendorf

Websites:

The first website is the same edition of the book that I have, however, mine has not been edited.

http://www.constitution.org/puf/puf-law.htm

http://www.constitution.org/

erowe1
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM

First of all, for a true Constitutionalist, something must come before the Constitution. The Constitution itself attests to this. In the Bill of Rights it never claims to grant a right on it's own authority, but to recognize the existence of rights that are already there. This is clear every single time it uses the word "right," but especially so in the 9th amendment. Therefore, according to the outlook on rights contained in the Constitution itself (an outlook that I share on this point), there exists a system of right and wrong that transcends the laws of the state. And those laws themselves (including the Constitution) are only right inasmuch as they are in agreement with that absolute transcendent moral law. Something that is wrong does not become right just by getting written into the Constitution. And if there are any unjust powers delegated to the federal government in the Constitution (and there are), then we should seek to do away with those powers, either by working within the system to amend the Constitution, or by working outside the system to overturn it using other means.

In applying this point to the question you ask, it becomes crucial to identify how this transcendent absolute moral law can be known. Has God revealed it to us verbally using some means in space and time? Has he revealed it to us in the person of his son, Jesus Christ, and through the writings contained in the Bible which bear witness to him, as Christians believe? If the answer to these questions is yes, then indeed, the Bible must come before the Constitution.

Of course, granting that this is the case does not in any way justify any kind of mandatory religion or morality, whether Christian or otherwise. It may well be the case (and I believe it actually is the case) that the absolute moral law that the Bible reveals, is one that has no allowance for states to exercise rulership over people by conquest and without their consent.

LittleLightShining
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
If I put the Bible before the Constitution I'd be an anarchist. Just saw erowe's post ( I was vacuuming mid-posting ;)) and I guess we agree:
Of course, granting that this is the case does not in any way justify any kind of mandatory religion or morality, whether Christian or otherwise. It may well be the case (and I believe it actually is the case) that the absolute moral law that the Bible reveals, is one that has no allowance for states to exercise rulership over people by conquest and without their consent.

As a christian nation, yes, the Bible should come first. The founding fathers DID put it first, don't be fooled by the history revisionists. The founders, all of them and every household had a book called Natures Law. That little book would take every subject from abortion, divorce, everything and condense it down to what the Bible would tell you to do in each situation, it was the guiding light of morality for this nation.

It was so important to the founders it is in the first paragraph of declaration of Independence. Do you ever hear this book mentioned? Have you ever seen one? No, it has been well hidden from the unwashed masses. I have held one in my hands and read it. I suggest all of you should do the same.

I have tried to find the book on the internet and find that all references to it and explanations for the term in the Declaration Of Independence has been white washed.

I have contacted my friend today that owns a copy, I will get it and give all of you a link to it or some way to actually read it. It needs to be put back into print so every American can understand the true God like morality this nation was founded upon.Do you know anything about Garrett Lear, The Patriot Pastor (http://www.thepatriotpastor.org/?57ffdd40)? I think you'd find him to be very enlightening and inspirational.

fedup100
02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Garrett Lear, The Patriot Pastor? I have never heard of him but would like to know more. :)

LittleLightShining
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Garrett Lear, The Patriot Pastor? I have never heard of him but would like to know more. :)

He is awesome. I saw him at the Committees of Safety Tea Party in Boston in December with some other VT C4Lers. We liked him so much we asked him to do the invocation at the VT C4L convention last month. There are a ton of videos on his site. We're having a hard time with the formats of the speeches from the convention or his would be posted already. Also, I imagine you know about the Black Robe regiment?

eta just found the audio from the convention (http://www.thewelloflivingwater.com/Patriot/media/download.php?getfile=Vermont.mp3)!

fedup100
02-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks, just listened and went to his site.

rancher89
02-07-2010, 03:30 PM
erowe1, fedup100, LLS--good points, thanks.

I'm not a religious person, I don't own a Bible, and I don't think of it, or look to it, when I make decisions in my life. That being said, I think you guys are right, and my first instincts were wrong....but I think __27__ comes closer to how I feel about this after some reflection.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. :cool:

New2Libertarianism
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Whatever is reasonable on the specific issue. Whether it's the constitution, bible, or neither.

sevin
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
As a christian nation, yes, the Bible should come first.

So if this were an Islamic nation, should we put the Koran before the constitution?

reardenstone
02-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Why don't they just say we are "Christian Coalition" or support the "Constitution" Party?

Many of them confuse morality with legality (Vox Day).

PS - I am for the most part a Ron Paul libertarian: differ with LP on abortion and I am unsure about legalizing the hardest of drugs (Meth, etc..)

brandon
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I would put neither before the principles of liberty. Both documents are made by men, which are flawed, imperfect beings by design. Use the power of your own mind, not what some long dead person once said. God gave you free will, reason and logic, use them.

this

rancher89
02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm in agreement with __27__ as well

Southron
02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
The Bible, but not for the reasons you think.

Knowing what it says about the nature of man, I can't trust anyone outside of my church structure that I don't personally know. Anyone can call himself a Christian.

So I generally vote for those candidates who are willing to limit or take the most power away from the government.

If candidate is Pro-death, I can't support him under any circumstances.