PDA

View Full Version : McCain Wants to Limit Your Right to Nutritional Supplements

Truth-Bringer
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Conservative John McCain — militarist, warmonger, police-statist, welfare-statist, and welfare recipient, in cahoots with Big Pharma’s FDA — wants to repeal the minimal vitamin and supplement freedom we now have. (http://www.anh-usa.org/new_site/?p=2307) It is a gun to the head of everyone who wants to use his own money to circumvent the fascist pharma-industrial complex.

Link to Rest of Blog Here (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/49664.html)

Click the first link for details and please write to your Senators and ask them to oppose this legislation.

LittleLightShining
02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Isn't that a part of Codex Alimentarius?

New2Libertarianism
02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Give me liberty or give me death!

Stary Hickory
02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Ok fill me in why is McCain going after supplements? Something does not add up. Why in the world would he even care?

LibForestPaul
02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Because some big pharam gave him a check with lots of zeros?

Stary Hickory
02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Because some big pharam gave him a check with lots of zeros?

Doesn't sound right, there is more to this.

MelissaWV
02-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Ok fill me in why is McCain going after supplements? Something does not add up. Why in the world would he even care?

Because this is not an action to ban supplements or limit the rights to the supplements, as some groups/people are claiming. This is probably going to be more of a means to require certain supplements to meet certain standards, or the companies that produce them to maintain certain metrics. It's the sort of thing that makes people think they're being made "safer," when all it's doing is putting some companies out of the market, and herding the business towards the few companies that remain running things.

Vitamins and supplements are huge right now, and going to remain so for awhile. If only "certain" companies are making the bulk of them, then those companies gain the profits.

psi2941
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
He better not touch my BSN NO Xplode.

Stary Hickory
02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Because this is not an action to ban supplements or limit the rights to the supplements, as some groups/people are claiming. This is probably going to be more of a means to require certain supplements to meet certain standards, or the companies that produce them to maintain certain metrics. It's the sort of thing that makes people think they're being made "safer," when all it's doing is putting some companies out of the market, and herding the business towards the few companies that remain running things.

Vitamins and supplements are huge right now, and going to remain so for awhile. If only "certain" companies are making the bulk of them, then those companies gain the profits.

This sounds like a better explanation. I tell you what I am tired of this nonsense. It probably was the lobbying of some big pharma company to eliminate competition from supplements. It's krap and I hope McCain gets destroyed in the election.

Nobody is dying from supplements, they have no business telling us how to use or make supplements.

jkr
02-05-2010, 06:21 PM
they hates us for our bodily fluids

dannno
02-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Bump - Letter sent - Make this viral

dannno
02-05-2010, 06:42 PM

Reading into it, we can find that the sports lobby is behind this.

This is the result of all the senate hearing on sports players and steroids and other supplements.

Obviously the whole thing is a ploy to help engage UN's Codex Alimentarius..

TCE
02-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Anyone still want McCain to beat J.D. Hayworth?

Kotin
02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Isn't that a part of Codex Alimentarius?

yes it sure is.. I was wondering who they would get to champion it here in the US, makes sense that it's John McCain.. And I guess this is where codex starts... If the people allow this to pass, you will See much more legislation that gets worse and worse..

TCE
02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Regarding Codex, there is a site out there (can't find it, maybe someone else can or knows about it?) that has what Codex actually does and when it really starts. If I remember correctly, it begins sometime in 2012 and it is a "safety" measure, but it isn't as draconian as some have made it out to be. Remember December 31, 2009? Well, I still get my supplements :). Additionally, HR 2749 needs to pass for it to be implemented.

Truth-Bringer
02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Bump - Letter sent - Make this viral

Awesome. Thank you. Keep spreading the word.

Truth-Bringer
02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
This sounds like a better explanation. I tell you what I am tired of this nonsense. It probably was the lobbying of some big pharma company to eliminate competition from supplements. It's krap and I hope McCain gets destroyed in the election.

Nobody is dying from supplements, they have no business telling us how to use or make supplements.

QFT. Love it!

MR2Fast2Catch
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Anyone still want McCain to beat J.D. Hayworth?

Hell no. Atleast JD is marginally more conservative than McCain. But not by much...

UK4Paul
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
they hates us for our bodily fluids

They hate us for our freedom. So the State is making sure they can't hate us for that any more... :D

Zippyjuan
02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
ESPN's take on the issue:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1950993

McCain voted for DSHEA, the 1994 law that gutted the federal government's authority to oversee supplements -- and that triggered the explosive growth in the sale of everything from horny goat weed to bee feces. But he says: "I'm not satisfied at all. The bill I voted for, frankly, I was not as aware of it as I should have been."

Now McCain would like to force makers of supplements or any substance that affects the human body to test their products before bringing them to market. Given that the supplement manufacturers have huge political influence in Congress -- they can mobilize millions of loyal customers, and they have a powerful patron in Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah -- that's not likely to happen. But since the high-profile deaths of Steve Bechler, Korey Stringer and Rashidi Wheeler, all of whom used supplements, the industry hasn't been able to fend off all further regulation of performance-enhancing stimulants. In the coming year, reformers, led by Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and McCain, will probably be able to require manufacturers to report negative side effects to the government.

"It's incomprehensible to me that we would not have a provision that would require them to report adverse reactions," says McCain.

More on what the bill will do:
http://vitaminlawyerhealthfreedom.blogspot.com/2010/02/mccain-bill-poses-threat-to-dshea-and.html

Brief description of the provisions of the
Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010

New Requirements from Suppliers to Retailers

Suppliers and retailers regardless of size all along the chain of commerce are required to "obtain adequate written evidence" from the seller that the product is registered as required. That evidence must be retained in a file available for inspection.

Adverse Event Reporting (AER)

Requires reporting of all adverse events, not just serious adverse events. In addition, a compilation of non-serious AERs must be submitted annually, and records must be maintained for three years.

"Accepted Dietary Ingredients" List

Mandates creation by the Secretary of a list of "Accepted Dietary Ingredients" to replace the current "in commerce pre-DSHEA" test.

New Dietary Ingredients (NDI)

NDIs are considered adulterated unless there is a history of use or evidence of its safety. Registrants shall maintain a "scientifically reasonable substantiation file" available for inspection by the Secretary of Health and Human Services. Registration required 75 days prior to market.

Recall Authority

Provides immediate recall authority to the Secretary upon determination that a supplement "would cause serious, adverse health consequences or death, or is adulterated or misbranded." Companies subject to a recall have the right to challenge the order in an "informal hearing" within 10 days. At their own expense, retailers must notify customers of such recalls.

Registration of Dietary Supplement Facilities

Dietary supplement facilities shall register with the Secretary (required information includes name, address of all facilities, trade names, list of supplements, their ingredients, and labels). Registration is annual.

Read the complete bill here:
http://www.npainfo.org/clientuploads/regulatoryLegislative/2010%20Dietary%20Supplement%20Safety%20Bill.pdf

heavenlyboy34
02-07-2010, 02:51 PM
FWIW, this morning, Dr Bob Martin (a popular local and national health talk show host) was pretty irked about this...so hopefully all the gray-hairs here in AZ will get pissed and call McShame's office to give his secretary an earful and vote him out in the next election. :cool:

TCE
02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Senator Tom Harkin is actually amazing on supplement issues. He goes to conferences, is in contact with Dr. Mercola and Mike Adams (Naturalnews.com), and is on the same team as those who believe in natural health. Orrin Hatch is, but he is not nearly as into it as Harkin. Hatch wants to protect his businesses, while Harkin actually believes natural products are better than their pharmaceutical counterparts. Harkin actually severely watered down the Codex regulations in the Food Safety bill. McCain is absolutely terrible.

J.D. Hayworth>McCain. Hayworth wants nothing to do with Cap-and-Trade, while McCain actually voted for a different form of it years ago. Although Chris Simcox is better than both of them.

Dianne
02-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Because the pharmas are losing big bucks to the vitamin shops. For example, instead of taking the government's slow kill h1n1 shot, I take 5000 iu's of vitamin D3 every day.

My daughter started getting sick last week... terrible sore throat. I hit her with 15000 iu's of D3 and had her gargle with apple cider vinegar mixed with a little water; and the stuff was gone within 48 hours Now I could have gone to the doctor and they have given me a $200. prescription, and her illness could have lingered on for days; but I chose to go the natural route; which worked.

Truth-Bringer
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Senator Tom Harkin is actually amazing on supplement issues. He goes to conferences, is in contact with Dr. Mercola and Mike Adams (Naturalnews.com), and is on the same team as those who believe in natural health. Orrin Hatch is, but he is not nearly as into it as Harkin. Hatch wants to protect his businesses, while Harkin actually believes natural products are better than their pharmaceutical counterparts. Harkin actually severely watered down the Codex regulations in the Food Safety bill.

I had heard that Harkin took supplements and they cured his allergies. I've had great health benefits from supplements, so I know they work. They need no more regulation in that area. This whole bill is absurd. It's a political stunt on McCain's part.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Conservative John McCain — militarist, warmonger, police-statist, welfare-statist, and welfare recipient, in cahoots with Big Pharma’s FDA — wants to repeal the minimal vitamin and supplement freedom we now have. (http://www.anh-usa.org/new_site/?p=2307) It is a gun to the head of everyone who wants to use his own money to circumvent the fascist pharma-industrial complex.

Link to Rest of Blog Here (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/49664.html)

Click the first link for details and please write to your Senators and ask them to oppose this legislation.

When we are governed by tyranny thousands of miles away (sound familiar?), we can't even keep our dogs from getting poisoned. We solve our problems on a local level, we get our rights lobbied away on the Federal level.
But it is intimately our fault.
Our Founding Fathers did not intend for us to use so much the "necessary tyranny" they established with the U.S. Constitution.

DjLoTi
02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
McCain needs to evaporate - He's creating his own problems in Washington and confusing the debate of other topics, like the campaign finance reform debate. The bill he proposed was a bad bill. There's a reason it was rejected. But he has this defeatist attitude, like "oh now it's hopeless".

McCain is just not the person to propose or honestly even be in the debate of our serious problems facing our country. He has this entitlement that's beyond me. He's snarky and worthless and he needs to go.

DjLoTi
02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
What we need is the new-age American farmer, not some supplement regulation. We need a real discussion on nutrition and health.

The last person I would trust is John McCain. Talk about a corporate tool. He doesn't need to be dealing with ANYBODY. I doubt McCain ever writes his actual bills. He doesn't use computers, so what makes you think he can sit down and type 500 pages?

You know he's not TALKING like that! Someone else is typing it! McCain is a ghost and whoever's making money just fills it. He is like the pirate of the corporations and the media. Get these people out and get good people in.

We are doing a really good job so I'm actually enthusiastic about the real change happening

heavenlyboy34
02-08-2010, 01:31 PM
When we are governed by tyranny thousands of miles away (sound familiar?), we can't even keep our dogs from getting poisoned. We solve our problems on a local level, we get our rights lobbied away on the Federal level.
But it is intimately our fault.
Our Founding Fathers did not intend for us to use so much the "necessary tyranny" they established with the U.S. Constitution.

Sounds like you're blaming the victim here. Most who are currently suffering under this tyranny are too young and politically uninfluential to have been able to prevent it.

idirtify
02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Meanwhile, the tyranny (pharmacratic inquisition) continues to escalate:

--------------------
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/feb/05/lawrence-man-charged-after-sacred-journey-investig/?breaking
Lawrence man charged after Sacred Journey investigation
--------------------

Make sure you read it all. Note that Sloan was raided for herbs/things NOT YET ILLEGAL and things that MIGHT CONTAIN things that are (might be) related to things that are illegal.

Drug/plant prohibition is one of the oldest prejudices, yet it is as strong as ever today.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
If they go that far, you know we are now living in a dictatorship.

McCain has got to go, clear and simple. Now that Palin is my leader, how do we get rid of both of them??

rancher89
02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
The Codex Alimentarius is bad stuff folks. Friends in Europe, where this is the law, cannot buy aspirin.

http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/?page_id=157

Jeniffer01
02-08-2010, 11:10 PM
It's an wonderful post to know so many detailed information about the supplements. Some of the supplements have been extracted from the natural herbs and it has been made or produced by using all the natural ingredients which are required by the human body to stay and live healthier life. These natural supplements will not affect the body as these supplements doesn't have chemicals in it.

Dianne
02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
And you know the worst thing about this, is that this gestapo will pass this law in the middle of the night, and we won't even know it until we see our vitamin shop is gone.

TinCanToNA
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM
It's an wonderful post to know so many detailed information about the supplements. Some of the supplements have been extracted from the natural herbs and it has been made or produced by using all the natural ingredients which are required by the human body to stay and live healthier life. These natural supplements will not affect the body as these supplements doesn't have chemicals in it.

I agree that information is good, but I call BS on the difference you outline between "natural" and "chemical" supplements. "Natural" is exclusively a touchy-feely label that has no bearing whatsoever on any reality. All supplement ingredients must be evaluated as best you can, with no special deference given to the supposed "natural" ones. Remember, all matter is a chemical, and most "natural" things are hazardous to your health; this is why semantics of this type have no bearing.

Yeah, this is unsurprising coming from McCain. What do you expect from him though? Something about old dogs and tricks...

Truth-Bringer
02-09-2010, 12:50 PM
And you know the worst thing about this, is that this gestapo will pass this law in the middle of the night, and we won't even know it until we see our vitamin shop is gone.

And no one in Congress, not even McCain, will have read the bill.

Deborah K
02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I know that Mel Gibson is a periah right now, but back in the 90's when the gov't first started this crap, Gibson did this great commericial that helped ward off the FDA's desire to control our supplements:

YouTube - Mel Gibson o Codex Alimentarius i o blokowaniu dostępu do witamin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98yk0N5BZoQ)

Carole
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Have they not for years wanted to destroy the suplement business and make everything a "drug"? This would benefit pharma.

The Deacon
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Why does McCain care about your body? Because he's a career politician, and loves the power and control.

rancher89
02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
When it is profitable to ban a suppliment, it will be done.

This is an old article, L-Tryptophan is now available again--one product is "Alteril" by Biotab Nutraceuticals.

http://www.lef.org/fda/fdaban95.html

The FDA Ban of L-Tryptophan: Politics, Profits and Prozac
© All Rights Reserved

Posted on LEF April 6 1998

By: Dean Wolfe Manders, Ph.D.

This article first appeared in "Social Policy", Vol. 26, No. 2 Winter 1995. Dr. Manders has lectured and done extensive research on the medical politics of L-Tryptophan. The article also appeared in "Blazing Tattles" June 1996.
In the fall of 1989, the FDA recalled L-Tryptophan, an amino acid nutritional supplement, stating that it caused a rare and deadly flu-like condition (Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome / EMS). On March 22, 1990, the FDA banned the public sale dietary of L-Tryptophan completely. This ban continues today. On March 26, 1990, "Newsweek" featured a lead article praising the virtues of the anti-depressant drug Prozac. Its multi-color cover displayed a floating, gigantic green and white capsule of Prozac with the caption: "Prozac: A Breakthrough drug for Depression."

The fact that the FDA ban of L-Tryptophan and the Newsweek Prozac cover story occurred within four days of each other went unnoticed by both the media and the public. Yet, to those who understand the effective properties of L- Tryptophan and Prozac, the concurrence seems "unbelievably coincidental." The link here is the brain neurotransmitter serotonin---a biochemical nerve signal conductor. The action of Prozac and L-Tryptophan are both involved with serotonin, but in totally different ways.

article continues

http://www.lef.org/fda/fdaban95.html

Deborah K
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Why does McCain care about your body? Because he's a career politician, and loves the power and control.

My guess would be that big pharma is in his pocket.

idirtify
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
as if McCain is a picture of health

Truth-Bringer
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
When it is profitable to ban a suppliment, it will be done.

This all goes back to the Constitution. It was never intended for government to interfere in the free market if business was being conducted peacefully, honestly and voluntarily. But now big business goes and buys off politicians to put their competition out of business - and it's all about being able to sell their products at higher prices. Here's a good example:

Dairy Industry Crushed Innovator Who Bested Price-Control System (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/09/AR2006120900925.html)

Jeniffer01
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Even i think vitamins and mineral deficiency causes imbalanced in health. Lot of products seems to be there in the market just for the competition. The big issue how to gain the nutritional insufficiency in our body.

anaconda
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
McCain looks like he has limited himself to access to nutritional supplements.

Stary Hickory
03-06-2010, 01:09 AM
This is just another back room deal with some sleazy lobbyist to crowd out small competitors in the supplements business. I really despise McCain.

Juan McCain
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
again back from the late 1990's . . . this youtube can refresh McCain's "no-brainer" -
around 0:49 mark James Coburn gets really good . . . Whoopi Goldberg at the end

YouTube - Anger and concerns of Americans at what the FDA Part 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kjcu6q0v38)