PDA

View Full Version : Marco Rubio: Help with Questions

JS4Pat
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
US Senate Candidate Marco Rubio will be the guest speaker at the March 2, 2010 Republican Liberty Caucus of Northeast Florida (RLCNEF) Meeting. The Topic is Marco Rubio on Issues of Liberty. This event will attract a large number of people from outside our movement, therefore we would like to make this an educational experience. Our thought is to craft questions that will make not only the candidate but also those in attendance think more deeply about issues of liberty.

My hope is that this Ron Paul Forums thread will help us accomplish this goal.

Please reply with your ideas, suggestions for questions.

I would like to have 10-15 open ended questions that cover the topics listed below, followed by a "lightning round" of Support/Oppose Yes/No questions that will serve as an indicator of how liberty minded Marco Rubio is.

Thanks in advance for your help!

US Senate Candidate Marco Rubio

On

Issues of Liberty

#1 Opening Question – Philosophy of Government

The Republican Liberty Caucus of Northeast Florida is very focused on educating Floridians on the proper roles of local, state and federal government in hopes they will develop a political philosophy consistent with that of our founding fathers.

As a former speaker of the House at the State level and now a candidate for federal office, please share with us your philosophy of government particularly with respect to the role of a United States Senator.

#2 Reducing the Size and Scope of Government

One of the core principles of the Republican Party is to limit the size and scope of government. However, expenditures by local, state and federal government continue to increase on an annual basis.

If elected to serve as a United States Senator, would you actively work for smaller government, and if so, specifically which taxes, laws, programs and/or agencies will you introduce legislation to abolish?

#3 State Sovereignty

The federal government through Congress is specifically authorized by the states 18 enumerated powers that are clearly articulated in Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution. Many states including the state of Florida are introducing 10th Amendment Resolutions to challenge the federal government’s intrusion into functions reserved to the states and the people that are not listed among these 18 functions.

Do you believe today's federal government has exceeded these powers, and if so, what are the specific intrusions by the federal government that if elected United States Senator you would actively work to repeal?

#4 National Sovereignty

The United States has surrendered much of its sovereignty as a nation through global organizations such as the United Nations, The International Monetary Fund, The World Trade Organization

Do you ….

#5 Monetary Policy

Article I Section VIII of the United States gives the United States Congress the authority to coin money.

#6 Foreign Policy

Insert setup and question...

#7 Education

Education is not one of the 18 enumerated powers outlined in Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution, yet the federal government has extensive involvement in the education of many Floridians.

Do you believe there is a role for the federal government in education in the state of Florida?

If you believe there is, please explain what role that should be and how it will improve education.

If you do not believe they have a role, please explain what you would do as a United States Senator to eliminate or at least reduce the federal government’s involvement and how doing so would improve education for Floridians.

#8 The Federal Income Tax

#9 The National Debt

#10 Social Security

#11 Civil Liberties

Lightning Round

1. Given the advantage of hindsight – do you support or oppose the decision to deploy American troops to Iraq?

2. Would you support or oppose the ability of Americans to opt-out of Social Security?

3. Do you support or oppose federal drug laws?

4. Do you support or oppose the overturning of Roe vs. Wade?

5. Do you support or oppose the elimination of the Federal Department of Education?

JS4Pat
02-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Bump for some help...

erowe1
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Bump for some help...

I would ask questions about public-private partnerships, and using things like tax incentives to centrally manage how people spend their money. He's one of those Bush-like Republicans who's a big fan of using those pseudo-conservative tools to accomplish the same things liberals want and then pretend that they're still conservative because of those superficial differences.

If you can get your hands on Rubio's book, which is probably in most libraries in Florida, or even just reviews of it online, you can find plenty of specific examples to ask about.

Bergie Bergeron
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Try posting this in general politics, not a lot of people come here.

JS4Pat
02-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Try posting this in general politics, not a lot of people come here.

Thanks - Done.

sofia
02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Ask him this:

"Mr. Rubio...you claim to be a conservative. So why are you affliated with the Soros/Rockefeler funded Aspen Institute's bi-partisanship ptogram?

t0rnado
02-06-2010, 05:04 PM
A single person has not died because of an illegal plant called marijuana, while millions have died directly or indirectly because of alcohol. If you claim to be a conservative, how can you support spending billions of OUR dollars on banning a harmless plant?

davesxj
02-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see him explain his connections to the Aspen Institute.

but more importantly and I believe Ron Paul is correct in saying that this is one way to quickly reign in government spending

Would he support Ron Paul's H.R. 4248 Free Competition in Currency Act which repeals the legal tender laws, prohibits taxation on certain coins and bullion, and repeals superfluous sections related to coinage if it came to the Senate?

or maybe there's better questions for Senators..

NicChartrand
02-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Open ended:

Florida has one of the largest homosexual populations of all 50 states. Where do you stand on equal rights for all Americans?

You've always supported tax cuts, but they mean little without cuts in spending. Name a few programs or departments on the federal level that you would cut, if given the opportunity, as a U.S. Senator?

How do you feel about the FDA, and the costs associated with it that are passed onto consumers?

On your website, you say that the 2nd amendment "is the cornerstone of our democracy". Would you please define 'democracy' and tell us what it means to America? Could you also explain why you are content to refer to this country as a 'democracy' instead of the intended 'republic'

How do you feel about the Federal Minimum Wage?

Do you subscribe to a particular economic school of thought? (Austrian, Chicago, Keynesian, etc.)

I'd also ask him to define the role of government at the state, and at the federal level.

For the lightning round:

If it came to a vote, as Senator, would you support a reauthorization of the USA Patriot Act?

If *irrefutable* evidence was provided that Iran had created, or had direct access to a nuclear weapon in violation of IAEA sanctions, had defied any authority regarding the weapon, but hadn't made any threats, would you support a preemptive strike on Iran?

TCE
02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I agree with NIC. He can talk the talk, but I want to hear programs he wants to cut.

JS4Pat
02-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Bump for more ideas for questions...

NicChartrand
02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd also like to know if he intends to sign the 10th Amendment pledge and why he hasn't done so already.

NicChartrand
02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
And something about the troop surge:

Following the West Point address, you commended President Obama for "finally laying out specifics on the way forward in Afghanistan," but expressed concern that his decision fell short of Gen. McChrystal's recommendation. What would you like to see done with regards to Afghanistan, specifically, how many troops would you suggest the United States deploy to the region?

bobbyw24
02-09-2010, 06:55 AM
S 604 to Audit the Federal Reserve?

NicChartrand
02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
As a U.S. Senator, would you co-sponsor S. 1319 Enumerated Powers Act?

Elwar
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
If I were to tell you that I do not give you permission to take my money, would you still do so through taxation?

or...

Do you believe that the government taking money from someone at the point of a gun is any different from a thief stealing someone's wallet at the point of a gun?

romacox
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Ask him specifics about the Constitution, and would he be willing to learn. I heard him speak, and he said he is for a return to the Constitution But due to some of his comments I do not think he truly understands it.

He said that much has changed since the creation of the Constitution, and I believe he thinks it is a "Living Document" .

JS4Pat
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Suggestion that was e-mailed to me...

Please, please have someone ask this question: "You have been supportive of the
idea of term limits *in general.* But I would like to know *specifically* if you
would support Sen. Jim DeMint's bill to limit Congressional terms if elected to
the U.S. Senate."

He is familiar with the bill, so the question will not stump him except that he
might hem and haw and try to avoid answering it. I need to put him on record
about this in a public forum.

Nemesis
02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
If you guys don't like Rubio for some minor flaw than there is no hope for you.

JS4Pat
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Agreed. Who doesn't like him "for some minor flaw"?

Do you have an idea for a good question that will allow people to get a better understanding of where Marco Rubio stands on issues of liberty.

sofia
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
rubio is fake....just like palin

erowe1
02-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Minor flaw?

Is there anything we should like about Rubio? Are we supposed to like Lindsey Graham too?

Nemesis
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
rubio is fake....just like palin

You're wrong. Rubio is a good main-stream candidate.

realrockvince
02-10-2010, 08:27 AM
OK, here's my question for Rubio:

Your parents are from Cuba yet you support the US sanctions that are forced on Cuba. These sanctions hurt the people of Cuba by not allowing free trade. We could help the people of Cuba become more prosperous by lifting all sanctions and treating Cuba like a good neighbor.

If this interventionist strategy was supposed to force Castro and Communism out of Cuba, it clearly hasn't worked at all for 50 years. However, if the design was developed to hurt the Cuban people, it has been working very well for 50 years.

Why do you think sanctions will work when they never have before? Why do you support the sanctions on Cuba, the land of your parent's birth?

PS: Don't let him get away with saying that he's against Cuban sanctions. When he spoke at the Lee County REC, he said he wouldn't lift the sanctions and it got a huge, triumphant round of applause (not from me of course).

JS4Pat
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Minor flaw?

Is there anything we should like about Rubio? Are we supposed to like Lindsey Graham too?

Please don't use this thread to argue over the merits of Marco Rubio.

I am looking for solid questions dealing with the Constitution and issues of liberty.

The intent here is education! Like him or not - Marco has a big following amongst anti-establishment Republicans. His candidacy represents a great opportunity to for our movement to reach people with the message of freedom, peace and prosperity.

We can't expect the R[evol]ution to occur overnight.

erowe1
02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
You're wrong. Rubio is a good main-stream candidate.

In what ways? Got any specifics? Or are you just repeating what you heard someone else say?

erowe1
02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Like him or not - Marco has a big following amongst anti-establishment Republicans.

That's a good basis for a question right there.

You could say,

"Mr. Rubio, you are the Bush machine's pick for senate. You have written a book outlining scores of ways you believe you can improve Florida with bigger more interventionist government, using the kinds of public-private partnerships and tax incentives that establishment Republicans are known for using in their attempts at central management. You have taken no positions on any issues that distinguish you from the GOP establishment that has done so much damage to our nation and economy in recent years, such as the Bushes, John McCain, Mitt Romney, Charlie Crist, and Lindsey Graham. On the one issue where it seemed like you had an advantage over Charlie Crist, his embrace of the Obama stimulus, it turned out that you too would have accepted the stimulus.

So how is it that you have managed to gain the support of so many conservative anti-establishment Republicans? What's your trick?"

Another one might be,

"Mr. Rubio, what are the most important differences in policy positions between you and Charlie Crist. Please be specific and do not simply repeat the sound byte 'I'm more conservative than he is.'"

Nemesis
02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
In what ways? Got any specifics? Or are you just repeating what you heard someone else say?

No, I read his platform and it is very good. Not perfect, but he supports most of what we want.

All you have to do is google Marc Rubio's stands and see for yourself.

The Patriot
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
What are his positions on Foreign Policy and the Federal Reserve? I am not just going to support some republican who claims to want to "cut spending".

JS4Pat
02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
What are his positions on Foreign Policy and the Federal Reserve? I am not just going to support some republican who claims to want to "cut spending".

I need to formulate intelligent questions on these issues. We are looking to educate the candidate and the attendees. We are not looking for "gotcha style" questions or a condesending tone.

Formulate a fair Foreign Policy & a Federal Reserve question that will educate us.

Similiar to what I came up with for State Sovereignty...

#3 State Sovereignty

The federal government through Congress is specifically authorized by the states 18 enumerated powers that are clearly articulated in Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution. Many states including the state of Florida are introducing 10th Amendment Resolutions to challenge the federal government’s intrusion into functions reserved to the states and the people that are not listed among these 18 functions.

Do you believe today's federal government has exceeded these powers, and if so, what are the specific intrusions by the federal government that if elected United States Senator you would actively work to repeal?

erowe1
02-10-2010, 01:58 PM
No, I read his platform and it is very good. Not perfect, but he supports most of what we want.

All you have to do is google Marc Rubio's stands and see for yourself.

I have checked. He deliberately makes it hard to pin him down on any specific stands on any issues. But when you cut through all the fluff, in the end he's for bigger government, centrally managed economy, more government mandated environmentalism, more government benevolence programs, more foreign intervention, and less freedom. I don't support any of those things? Which ones do you support? Or which ones do you consider "minor flaws"? Seriously, I can't find a single thing about him that makes him any better than Lindsey Graham. Can you?

JS4Pat
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I have checked. He deliberately makes it hard to pin him down on any specific stands on any issues. But when you cut through all the fluff, in the end he's for bigger government, centrally managed economy, more government mandated environmentalism, more government benevolence programs, more foreign intervention, and less freedom. I don't support any of those things? Which ones do you support? Or which ones do you consider "minor flaws"? Seriously, I can't find a single thing about him that makes him any better than Lindsey Graham. Can you?

QUESTIONS ONLY PLEASE!!!!

US Senate Candidate Marco Rubio

On

Issues of Liberty

#1 Opening Question – Philosophy of Government

The Republican Liberty Caucus of Northeast Florida is very focused on educating Floridians on the proper roles of local, state and federal government in hopes they will develop a political philosophy consistent with that of our founding fathers.

As a former speaker of the House at the State level and now a candidate for federal office, please share with us your philosophy of government particularly with respect to the role of a United States Senator.

#2 Reducing the Size and Scope of Government

One of the core principles of the Republican Party is to limit the size and scope of government. However, expenditures by local, state and federal government continue to increase on an annual basis.

If elected to serve as a United States Senator, would you actively work for smaller government, and if so, specifically which taxes, laws, programs and/or agencies will you introduce legislation to abolish?

#3 State Sovereignty

#4 National Sovereignty

The United States has surrendered much of its sovereignty as a nation through global organizations such as the United Nations, The International Monetary Fund, The World Trade Organization

Do you ….

#5 Monetary Policy

Article I Section VIII of the United States gives the United States Congress the authority to coin money.

#6 Foreign Policy

Insert setup and question...

#7 Education

Education is not one of the 18 enumerated powers outlined in Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution, yet the federal government has extensive involvement in the education of many Floridians.

Do you believe there is a role for the federal government in education in the state of Florida?

If you believe there is, please explain what role that should be and how it will improve education.

If you do not believe they have a role, please explain what you would do as a United States Senator to eliminate or at least reduce the federal government’s involvement and how doing so would improve education for Floridians.

#8 The Federal Income Tax

#9 The National Debt

#10 Social Security

#11 Civil Liberties

Lightning Round

1. Given the advantage of hindsight – do you support or oppose the decision to deploy American troops to Iraq?

2. Would you support or oppose the ability of Americans to opt-out of Social Security?

3. Do you support or oppose federal drug laws?

4. Do you support or oppose the overturning of Roe vs. Wade?

5. Do you support or oppose the elimination of the Federal Department of Education?

erowe1
02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
QUESTIONS ONLY PLEASE!!!!

Are you aware that the post you wrote this in reply to was full of questions?

Do you think you have the right to tell people what they are and are not allowed to say here within the forum guidelines?

Do you think this thread is your personal property?

Have you been under the impression that this forum exists for the purpose of furthering your career in journalism?

If somebody posted a request for questions they should ask Barack Obama in an upcoming interview opportunity they had with him, would you expect members of this forum not to say things critical of Obama in that thread?

Are you not able to disregard the posts that are not helpful to you personally?

JS4Pat
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Are you aware that the post you wrote this in reply to was full of questions?

Do you think you have the right to tell people what they are and are not allowed to say here within the forum guidelines?

Do you think this thread is your personal property?

Have you been under the impression that this forum exists for the purpose of furthering your career in journalism?

If somebody posted a request for questions they should ask Barack Obama in an upcoming interview opportunity they had with him, would you expect members of this forum not to say things critical of Obama in that thread?

Are you not able to disregard the posts that are not helpful to you personally?

I am not a journalist. I am a member of this movement and have been since June of 2007. I am simply asking for input from people with ideas for good questions that cover OUR issues.

If you want to debate the merits of Rubio - please just start another thread.

I don't think that is an unreasonable request...

erowe1
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I am not a journalist. I am a member of this movement and have been since June of 2007. I am simply asking for input from people with ideas for good questions that cover OUR issues.

If you want to debate the merits of Rubio - please just start another thread.

I don't think that is an unreasonable request...

I gave you some recommendations for questions that I thought were good in my opinion. But as far as I'm concerned, ordering us to leave our opinions about Rubio out of this conversation actually is asking too much. It's up to you to take or leave what anyone says. It's not up to them to keep their thoughts to themselves until they first get permission from you to share them.

Cowlesy
02-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Ask Rubio to be SPECIFIC about what discretionary spending he will CUT From the federal government.

Don't let him give you a platitude like "we need to get serious about entitlement reform" which is a dodge.

I just listened to him on Fox Business Network, and when asked, he said "it was pretty hard to name something" --- Bullshit Rubio, be serious, or go home.

JS4Pat
02-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Sent to me via e-mail...

I would avoid leading questions but be as ambiguous as possible.

Question: What is your stance on water boarding and the use of torture?

Question: Do you think there is something morally and ethically wrong to buy a healthy compatible kidney so that you can live and have the donor be rewarded financially for such actions?

Question: Where do you stand on the Patriot Act? Military Commissions Act? Posse Commitatus? Domestic Eavesdropping?

Question: Are you the type of person who would actually lead the charge to repeal certain amendments? If so, what would you repeal?

Question: I have heard that you support domestic drilling for oil to lessen our ties to foreign dependence on oil. If that was the case, how would you address the issue on who is going to buy our debt?

**google iranian oil bourse for further insight.

JS4Pat
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
2 more sent via e-mail:

In your opinion, is the government of the U.S. restricted by the Constitution from engaging in armed conflict with foreign governments by the powers ceded to it by the states in Article I Seciton VIII?

Do you believe the Constitution limits the decision-making power to raise armies and commit the armed forces to combat lies solely with the Congress?

NicChartrand
02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Don't know if this will assess his liberty-mindedness, but I'd like to know why he thinks terrorist attacked the United States on 9/11.

Dary
02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Please reply with your ideas, suggestions for questions.

What is the proper role of government?

At what point does government exceed its proper role?

Imperial
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't know if this will assess his liberty-mindedness, but I'd like to know why he thinks terrorist attacked the United States on 9/11.

I don't think this question accomplishes much. It would only make the RLC chapter look radical and deter membership.

Question: Should the President have the authority to unilaterally initiate military conflict with other nations, or should we prefer the Constitutional method of declaring war on enemy nations?