PDA

View Full Version : Senate Likely to Be Less Diverse After Elections

bobbyw24
02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
That historically all-white club known as the U.S. Senate is likely to lose what little diversity it has after November's elections.

Two white men will be competing for President Barack Obama's former seat in Illinois, now held by Roland Burris, the chamber's lone African-American. Appointed by the scandal-tainted former governor, Burris won't be seeking a full term.

In contests in Florida, Texas and North Carolina, black candidates face daunting challenges to joining the august body, from difficulty raising cash to lack of name recognition to formidable rivals.

Blacks comprise 12.2 percent of the nation's population, but you wouldn't know it in the 100-member Senate. Come next year, the total number could add up to zero.

"It certainly is not a desirable state of affairs," said David Bositis, a senior political analyst with the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

http://newsmax.com/Politics/US-Senate-Diversity/2010/02/05/id/349052

Slutter McGee
02-05-2010, 01:12 PM
What they mean is that it will lost its Diversity of a black democrat. Michael Williams here in Texas has a decent shot at the senate, but we all know black republicans don't count.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Son of Liberty 2
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
"It certainly is not a desirable state of affairs," said David Bositis, a senior political analyst with the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.
Maybe David Bositis feels that affirmative action is needed to make the Senate more diverse.

MelissaWV
02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
The average age of a House Member is now 56 years and for a Senator, 61.7 years.

Race, gender, orientation... they all seem to pale compared to that statistic.

andrewh817
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
That historically all-white club known as the U.S. Senate is likely to lose what little diversity it has after November's elections.

Two white men will be competing for President Barack Obama's former seat in Illinois, now held by Roland Burris, the chamber's lone African-American. Appointed by the scandal-tainted former governor, Burris won't be seeking a full term.

Hey guess what, they could be green skinned for all I care, what matters is their policies. Why did you post this racist trash?

The average age of a House Member is now 56 years and for a Senator, 61.7 years.

Race, gender, orientation... they all seem to pale compared to that statistic.

And age seems to pale compared to their ACTUAL POLICIES.

low preference guy
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
They are already all Keynesians (except RP and a few others). How can it get less diverse than that?

TCE
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Roland Burris's entire appointment to the Senate was filled with corruption, there is no way he should have ever been allowed in. The only reason he was is because without that, a Special Election would have taken place, and the Democrats might not have won.

Besides, the House is supposed to represent the people, and there are several black House members, there is even the Black Caucus. The Senate is supposed to represent the states.

Stary Hickory
02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I really don't care about diversity. I want the right people with the right ideas in office regardless of skin color or ethnic background.

Truth-Bringer
02-05-2010, 04:03 PM
They are already all Keynesians (except RP and a few others). How can it get less diverse than that?

Exactly. The only real diversity problem is the lack of libertarians.

MelissaWV
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
And age seems to pale compared to their ACTUAL POLICIES.

I am in agreement, but I just find it sad that all these people that argue about a lack of diversity often overlook the fact that most of them are in the same small age bracket.

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Who cares? There is no diversity when over 90% of the Senate is owned by traitors. Doesn't matter what race they are.

TCE
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I am in agreement, but I just find it sad that all these people that argue about a lack of diversity often overlook the fact that most of them are in the same small age bracket.

Why would anyone pay any attention to relevant data? It's like the inflation rate, who cares? ;)

ChaosControl
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Who cares what the racial makeup is, we should focus on if the people are any good regardless their race.