PDA

View Full Version : US intelligence chief: We can assassinate American citizens

disorderlyvision
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/license-kill-intelligence-chief-us-american-terrorist/story?id=9740491

The director of national intelligence affirmed rather bluntly today that the U.S. intelligence community has authority to target American citizens for assassination if they present a direct terrorist threat to the United States.

"We take direct actions against terrorists in the intelligence community; if … we think that direct action will involve killing an American, we get specific permission to do that," Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair told the House Intelligence Committee.

Rep. Peter Hoekstra D-Mich., addressed the issue at today's hearing.

"The targeting of Americans -- it's a very sensitive issue, but again there's been more information in the public domain than what has been shared with this committee," he said.

"There is no clarity." Hoekstra said. "What is the legal framework?"

"Whether that American is involved in a group that is trying to attack us, whether that American has -- is a threat to other Americans. Those are the factors involved." Blair explained. "We don't target people for free speech. We target them for taking action that threatens Americans."

According to U.S. officials, only a handful of Americans would be eligible for targeting by U.S. intelligence or military operations. The legal guidance is determined by the National Security Council and the Justice Department.

In the past, the U.S. has killed Americans overseas but they were viewed as "collateral damage." In 2002, the CIA killed American-born Kamal Derwish, a member of the "Lackawanna 6" terror group during a CIA Predator drone strike. Derwish was driving in a car with other members of al Qaeda, the government said.

In 2008, a missile strike in Somalia killed American Ruben Shumpert, a Seattle man suspected of being an Islamist radical. Shumpert was wanted by federal authorities on gun and counterfeit currency charges. He had agreed to plead guilty but fled the country days before sentencing in 2004.

The Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al Awlaki, who has become a prominent influence with al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, was at a meeting with leaders of the terror group when U.S. officials knowingly launched a cruise missile strike to eliminate the terror leaders. Several people were killed but Awlaki survived

Story continues at the link posted

QueenB4Liberty
02-04-2010, 11:17 PM
That's scary. :(

RideTheDirt
02-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Probably the worst thing you could say to a nation filled with weapons. This man is a terrorist and should be tried as such.

Promontorium
02-05-2010, 02:15 AM
err, the government kills Americans all the time.

ALL THE TIME.

This isn't even news. It's like, the opposite, now I know it's harder for the government to kill me if I'm a terrorist than if I'm a black man with a gun.

This news also falls under "rules of engagement" which doesn't take a nationalistic perspective. Sure the word "assassinate" sounds scarier than "We shot him because we thought he had a gun".

And even if you want to play the nationalist card, that somehow Americans are exempt from the rules of engagement, remember the line that pops up from time to time "I will support and defend the constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic."

Of course, you usually see this line from people talking about the U.S. government being an enemy, but that's an oath made by government employees, not citizens. They kill citizens all the time.

tpreitzel
02-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Obviously preemptively. What constitutional authority allows you to do so and I'm not referring to the NSC, but to the US Constitution. These people within the intelligence community simply condemn themselves with their own words. Here's a novel solution. Follow the US Constitution and allow Americans to defend themselves against terrorists in the intelligence community threatening them with assassination if they decide to do more than talk. I'm sure Americans would love a precise definition of "taking action that threatens Americans". Maybe, he has the Berlusconi incident in mind. Corrupt politicians couldn't allow themselves to be a target, right? ;)

"We don't target people for free speech. We target them for taking action that threatens Americans."

dannno
02-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Ya duh they do it all the time.

Gideon
02-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Character assassination is one common method for dealing with "terrorists" aka Patriots. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=227045)

If I remember correctly, the founders of our nation were labeled as terrorists by the tyrannical regime whose swarms of officers ate out the substance of the free peoples.

Jefferson's Tree of Liberty badly needs both water and fertilizer.

Mini-Me
02-05-2010, 03:33 AM
"Whether that American is involved in a group that is trying to attack us, whether that American has -- is a threat to other Americans. Those are the factors involved." Blair explained. "We don't target people for free speech. We target them for taking action that threatens Americans."
"Trust us." :rolleyes:

I'm glad they're so committed to due process. :rolleyes: These people are CERTAINLY taking action that threatens Americans...adjfklasjfd, I cannot STAND that so many people think it's okay for the government in general and CIA in particular to be above the law like this.

youngbuck
02-05-2010, 04:22 AM
The snowball is rolling. May I have a snow cone?