PDA

View Full Version : CA Senate Race

phesoge
02-04-2010, 04:23 PM
So aside from the KY senate I have not been following the rest of the races in the country very closely, but Tom Campbell caught by eye in California for the following reason: In 1999 he filed suit against then president, Bill Clinton, for not obtaining a decleration of war from congress as authorized by the Constiution. Any thoughts on this guy?

Promontorium
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
He seems like a standard Republican. He also seems to be leading for the GOP. I will have to keep watching.

Fr3shjive
02-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Chuck Devore is the candidate that is being pushed by C4L. He seems to be fiscally responsible, and adhears to the constitution but he's a bit of war monger. I'll still support him. 2/3 aint bad.

dannno
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Chuck Devore is the candidate that is being pushed by C4L. He seems to be fiscally responsible, and adhears to the constitution but he's a bit of war monger. I'll still support him. 2/3 aint bad.

Ya it sucks cause Chuck is much better on the Constitution and limited govt... however in addition to being a bit on the war mongering side, he also thinks marijuana overall hurts society. Tom Campbell, however, is considering full legalization.

I'm still torn, though I've donated to Chuck already (I don't think Campbell needs my help)

klamath
02-04-2010, 09:24 PM
deleted

Promontorium
02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
We simply don't have any real liberty candidates in this race so far, so it may just end up being "best of the worst", or "best of the bleh".

low preference guy
02-06-2010, 01:36 PM
anyone but Fiorina is good enough for me

nate895
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Why are we bashing Devore's defense stance? I only know what he has on his website, but here is what it states:

While a strong supporter of a robust and modern volunteer military, Chuck has been a consistent skeptic of direct military intervention since the 1980s, preferring instead to encourage those who want freedom and democracy overseas with more indirect methods, if possible. Chuck knows that we neither have enough people or treasure to be a global policeman for decades.

Regarding our current conflicts, we must be define and then achieve victory. If we are not prepared to defeat our enemies, then we should not sacrifice our men and women in uniform to a lost cause.

This is almost exactly what I'd say if I was trying to win a GOP primary without lying about my position. Say I am skeptical of "direct military intervention" and prefer indirect (read: private) methods. That should get me on the GOP voter's side without compromising my principles. This is politics guys. Also, if Devore just said that "marijuana is bad for society," I can agree, in the same way I could agree with "excessive eating of cheeseburgers is bad for society," because both are bad for you and have negatives effects on society. That doesn't mean the government should be breaking down doors to make sure you aren't smoking pot or eating too many cheeseburgers.

Allan Bartlett
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I've known Chuck for a long time. He is the best candidate that liberty minded people can support. Tom Campbell and Carly Fiorina are John McCain clones. Vote for Chuck DeVore for US Senate on June 8th please, if you live in CA.

nate895
02-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I've known Chuck for a long time. He is the best candidate that liberty minded people can support. Tom Campbell and Carly Fiorina are John McCain clones. Vote for Chuck DeVore for US Senate on June 8th please, if you live in CA.

Or if you don't live in CA, we'll make sure you get vote as someone who does. J/K

Brian4Liberty
02-06-2010, 04:01 PM
There is a wealth of information about Chuck DeVore in the Chuck DeVore sub-forum.:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

He is our "Tea Party" candidate, and has been the best option since it was only him and Carly (John McCain's RINO) Fiorina running. DeVore is very responsive to voters, while Fiorina and Campbell are aloof.

Tom Campbell was a fiscal conservative in the US Congress in the past. He often allied himself with Ron Paul. He has since worked with Schwarzenegger on the CA budget, and that has been an utter failure, with lots of compromise to the tax and spend statists in CA. He may have become less adamant about being fiscally conservative after years of working with the Democrat bureaucracy in CA. His last minute switch to the Senate race is questionable, and is rumored to be at the request of some portion of the GOP establishment. It's quite possible that it was meant to derail the DeVore campaign, among other reasons.

Brian4Liberty
02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Why are we bashing Devore's defense stance?

Some commentary on Chuck's defense stance:

http://septvote.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-all-about-spending.html

nate895
02-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Some commentary on Chuck's defense stance:

http://septvote.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-all-about-spending.html

Sounds eerily similar to mine.