PDA

View Full Version : Camp Liberty: A Grassroots Training Camp

UtahApocalypse
02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
In the thread about Federal Land For Sale in Washington (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=229619) the idea was introduced by me to create a "Camp Liberty" I wanted to start a thread on the topic in general even if its not to be the property currently mentioned.

What is "Camp Liberty?" As I envision it the camp ground would be a a full service center for Liberty, Freedom, and Grassroots education. It would provide housing, kitchen to make meals together, classrooms, and also plenty of great outdoor activity. The camp could be run year round with a minimal staff. The facility could be available to various groups (CFL, YAL, and others) to provide a location for training and education courses. During off-times the facility could be rented for other events, or for family camping.

What would we need? A location would be the first goal. The Washington location would be ideal, however we may not have the time and ability to pull things off in less then a month. So in looking for other locations the facility should be remote and not urban, provide facilities for bunking, cooking, teaching. i would hope for a capacity of 50-100 not including about 4-10 staff. Would prefer mountain, or forest type locations.

The "Liberty Camp" would need some good instructors and also staff to assist with facilities, getting supplies, possible transportation to and from airport, bus, or train. We will need to plan various types of 'camps' from single weekend (2-day), week long, and up to full month.

So i would like to put this put for input, planning, and ideas. if we get a good base then we can take a next step and get a website, start location hunting, and plan funding.

Bruehound
02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Very interesting idea. I would suggest looking at The Leadership Institute as a model in that they are able to provide low cost tuition and a wide variety of professional classes and workshops and they have dorming facilities. They could use some competition IMO.

dannno
02-03-2010, 01:56 PM
What are property taxes in WA?

I read something earlier about a tape worm..

The location looks tight.

Krugerrand
02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Three locations would be ideal - Iowa and New Hampshire to serve as a support base for advocates of Liberty candidates in elections. DC would make another good locations to serve as a base location for protests and rallies.

dannno
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Can't we buy the land and make it a for-profit venture to help reduce costs?

Like run summer camps for part of the year, then the rest of the time we can use it for our own purposes and it would practically be free.

We could even make the summer camps liberty minded.. teach the kids about the Constitution, survival skills, etc..

UtahApocalypse
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Three locations would be ideal - Iowa and New Hampshire to serve as a support base for advocates of Liberty candidates in elections. DC would make another good locations to serve as a base location for protests and rallies.

I would like to find a more central location if possible. I don't want it to be a location though that is urban, and it should be somewhere that a typical camp would be. In other words I want tents, cabins, camp fires, and not a "school" or convention center type place.

When looking at other possible locations we should try to also find somewhere less expensive and cost effective. It needs to be able to support ongoing operations of various sorts and not be just temporary for a single event.

Most of all it needs to be near, or include things for recreations and FUN!!

Like run summer camps for part of the year, then the rest of the time we can use it for our own purposes and it would practically be free.

We could even make the summer camps liberty minded.. teach the kids about the Constitution, survival skills, etc..

This is what I intend. The camps would all be for profit (not huge but to support operations, pay staff, save more for other ventures) I would run Summer Camps supporting the cause of Liberty. As someone else said it could be similar to "The Leadership Institute" or YAL's Spring Break in Kentucky (http://www.yaliberty.org/kentucky) but ongoing and in a permanent location.

LibertyEagle
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a cool idea.

As I recall, the JBS has a summer camp for kids to teach them all kinds of stuff. I wonder if there is anything they did, that we can leverage for this?

Johnnybags
02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Madison Maine. Lowest electricity rates around, home to the largest greenhouse east of Misissippi and you Maryjane supporters now have a med marijuana law going into effect? I'll kick in 5k toward the "freedom trust".

150 acres

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/lded24b42-m2m.jpg

Elwar
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I've been to Camp Liberty
http://www.taxson.net/archives/MAY05/IMG_4152.jpg

Made sure to buy a hat that said "Liberty Iraq"...I thought it was quite ironic.

Elwar
02-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Something you might want to check out.

In New Hampshire, every year they have the Porc Fest at Roger's camp. They have about 500 or so people go and learn about liberty oriented stuff then hang out by the campfire at night.

They already get a 10% discount every year. Why would you have to create a campground specifically for liberty activists when you could just follow their lead and do the same thing. Maybe even have a monthly get together in different states, moving south in the winter and north in the summer.

UtahApocalypse
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Something you might want to check out.

In New Hampshire, every year they have the Porc Fest at Roger's camp. They have about 500 or so people go and learn about liberty oriented stuff then hang out by the campfire at night.

They already get a 10% discount every year. Why would you have to create a campground specifically for liberty activists when you could just follow their lead and do the same thing. Maybe even have a monthly get together in different states, moving south in the winter and north in the summer.

Having a single location in many ways makes things much easier. You do not have to try and locate somewhere new and make arrangements for the staff to be housed there. It allows freedom in the scheduling as we own it and on't have to worry about conflicts. We own the place so can use it as we see fit.

Elwar
02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd suggest doing it in NH then since you'd be guaranteed a yearly event of at least 500 people and growing.

I just think that doing multiple venues you could cover more people. Having it in one spot would become more of a localized event.

muzzled dogg
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a cool idea.

As I recall, the JBS has a summer camp for kids to teach them all kinds of stuff. I wonder if there is anything they did, that we can leverage for this?

they put on a week-long (?) "camp constitution" out here that supposedly includes a few door-to-door "activism" sessions

sounded pretty cool i kinda wanted to go

Icymudpuppy
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
What are property taxes in WA?

I read something earlier about a tape worm..

The location looks tight.

The state has no property or income taxes. WA is funded through Sales taxes. 6.9%

The counties, school districts, and Fire districts have levied property taxes, Lewis County is the lowest in Western Washington. I'd have to look up Packwood's property tax rate...

Krugerrand
02-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I'd suggest doing it in NH then since you'd be guaranteed a yearly event of at least 500 people and growing.

I just think that doing multiple venues you could cover more people. Having it in one spot would become more of a localized event.

Every 4 years, NH would be ideal for the presidential elections.

Elwar
02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Every 4 years, NH would be ideal for the presidential elections.

Maybe a roving Camp Liberty that follows the primaries...

Though it would have to be cabins for the northern cold states.

UtahApocalypse
02-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I like the idea of a "roving" camp but it would be much more complex, and you would have to find suitable locations each time. I think that if a "Camp Liberty" can be set up it could easily be the base camp for other camps around the country as well. It could even have one of the main camps be a training camp so others can hold localized liberty camps.

the Washington location is so ideal for this other then not being centralized. If someone can find a similar location more central, or even in a key state that is available please post it here.

rancher89
02-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Good ideas all around.

Why not have permanent regional campgrounds? They'd be smaller maybe, but getting to them would be easier for those on limited funds.

A campground in NW VA or WV would be within reach of the NE/Northern Mid Atlantic states and be used as a base of operations for gearing up for the northern primaries.

One in mid GA, West Texas, Washington and NW VA or WV.....

Krugerrand
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Good ideas all around.

Why not have permanent regional campgrounds? They'd be smaller maybe, but getting to them would be easier for those on limited funds.

A campground in NW VA or WV would be within reach of the NE/Northern Mid Atlantic states and be used as a base of operations for gearing up for the northern primaries.

One in mid GA, West Texas, Washington and NW VA or WV.....

I like regional. Reasonably close to DC - MD or VA is a good sport for a "main campus." NH and Iowa plus others as needed.