PDA

View Full Version : Shoe-bomber started airport shoe removal policy, what would underwear-bomber start?

Liberty Star
02-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Would anyone here go along with intrusive checking of private sexual body parts for security?

Debate has already started on pros and cons of using groin sniffing dogs and deployment of other intrusive scanners at the hands of TSA workers.

Would you support such measures as long as war on terra goes on in Israel, Iraq, Afganistan? For how many years/decades you project such security measures would remain in place?

Liberty Star
02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Some people are already coming out with conditional support going by this comment on CNN site:

Bomb attempt may lead to more sniffer dogs –
CNN.com
Dec 30, 2009 ... I just want that dog to be wearing a muzzle when he sniffs my groin! ...
amfix.blogs.cnn.com/.../bomb-attempt-may-lead-to-more-sniffer-dogs/ -

jmdrake
02-02-2010, 10:51 PM
The 3D body scanners seems to be what's on the horizon. This was predicted way back in 1990 in the movie "Total Recall".

YouTube - Total Recall Bodyscanner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CX9Agzeh-c)

Note that they used skeletal images so it didn't seem so bad.

When visiting Canada they had a machine that blew air up your body to sniff for explosives before going into the Toronto space needle. (I guess it was ok to have explosives at the base of the building. You just couldn't take them up the elevator. :confused:) The "air sniffing" technology would be more acceptable to me than the scanners or groin sniffing dogs. But then again, why have any of this stuff if the FBI is going to look the other way when a terrorist's dad warns them about his son and when a "sharp dressed man" can get you on a plane without a passport?

Liberty Star
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
If scanners can see through things, why millions of people have to take their shoes off at airports?

Then how could this be detected without very intrusive searches by TSA workers?

Pants bombs vs America: The infernal conflict
• The RegisterJan 8, 2010
... Previously, on 30 December, the Los Angeles Times had informed its readers of a rectum bomb.

"In an elaborate ruse, a bomber posing as a repentant extremist tried to assassinate Prince Muhammad bin Nayef, Saudi Arabia's security chief," it reported. "[An al Qaeda] operative prepared an explosive device that was inserted into the rectum of the Saudi militant, who flew from Yemen to Jidda, Saudi Arabia to meet with the prince... He got through airport and palace security before the explosive was triggered by a call from Yemen, killing him but only wounding the prince.

"The explosive was PETN..."
www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/08/pants_bomber/

specsaregood
02-02-2010, 11:11 PM
When visiting Canada they had a machine that blew air up your body to sniff for explosives before going into the Toronto space needle. (I guess it was ok to have explosives at the base of the building. You just couldn't take them up the elevator. :confused:) The "air sniffing" technology would be more acceptable to me than the scanners or groin sniffing dogs.

They've had those sniffing machines as some airports in the US for at least 5 years now. Miami for one that I know of.

BlackTerrel
02-03-2010, 02:43 AM
The 3D body scanners seems to be what's on the horizon. This was predicted way back in 1990 in the movie "Total Recall".

YouTube - Total Recall Bodyscanner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CX9Agzeh-c)

Note that they used skeletal images so it didn't seem so bad.

When visiting Canada they had a machine that blew air up your body to sniff for explosives before going into the Toronto space needle. (I guess it was ok to have explosives at the base of the building. You just couldn't take them up the elevator. :confused:) The "air sniffing" technology would be more acceptable to me than the scanners or groin sniffing dogs. But then again, why have any of this stuff if the FBI is going to look the other way when a terrorist's dad warns them about his son and when a "sharp dressed man" can get you on a plane without a passport?

I remember watching that movie as a kid and thinking it was amazing. Recently watched it and wow - some of those early 90's movies really sucked.

But yeah - that's where we're headed.

qh4dotcom
02-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Here you go

http://www.qh4.com/images/Nigerian-Underwear-Bomber.jpg

MelissaWV
02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't it be a giddy surprise if the bomber didn't know about it, and then his rectum exploded? Sorry. For some reason I find that funny. :D

As for the explosives-sniff before going up in highrises/tourist traps like the Needle, the big worry there I would think is a dirty bomb at some height. Detonating things at ground level, or even underground, doesn't raze a city the way that detonating a device from a little way up does. That'd just be a theory. It's much more likely there'd be a sneezing, coughing, pandemic "Outbreak Monkey" in the crowd. I really hate tourist traps.