PDA

View Full Version : If Medina doesn't win

Imperial
02-02-2010, 08:25 PM
then I have an awesome plan. We all know we want Ron Paul to run for President. However, running for POTUS means zero time for Congress. Ron Paul should, in this situation, choose not to run in TX-14 in 2012 and instead immediately endorse Debra Medina.

Medina would have good name recognition from her gubernatorial run and access to our base. In addition, she would have a much smaller area to campaign in and has extensive experience with Ron Paul's re-election campaigns in TX-14.

Good idea?

squarepusher
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
bump

james1906
02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Definitely worth considering, seeing as Wharton is in TX-14.

itshappening
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
there is also senate possibilities with KBH retiring, depends what she wants to do

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd say shoot for Senate. I don't know if Texans will bite on Non-intervention though....one possibility would be to pound away on the Christian Just War Theory as most Texans are very religious. I just don't think very many of them have even heard of St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas and the JWT.

The Eradicator
02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
She's going to win. Think positive.

muzzled dogg
02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
nice fallback

Number19
02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Debra never had, prior to her gubernatorial campaign, any real aspiration for political office. On the occasion when it did cross her mind, or was brought up in conversation, it was maybe to succeed Ron in District 14.

Dreamofunity
02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Senate if its open, although somehow I doubt KBH will retire when she loses when though she said she would, and succeeding Ron sounds cool just to keep that seat one of liberty.

TastyWheat
02-03-2010, 05:55 AM
Debra would be a better Senator by a mile but I think that would be an even tougher race. Michael Williams (http://www.williamsfortexas.com) is also a Washington outsider, relatively speaking, and he's got the experience in public office that some would hold against Medina. Not to mention the party would probably love the extra bump from nominating a minority.

constituent
02-03-2010, 08:42 AM
he's got the experience in public office that some would hold against Medina.

Actually, that experience could really be his undoing w/ proper focus on educating voters about the Texas Railroad Commission and the role he played as its head.

constituent
02-03-2010, 08:43 AM
you and me both. make allies now.

AggieforPaul
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd say shoot for Senate. I don't know if Texans will bite on Non-intervention though....one possibility would be to pound away on the Christian Just War Theory as most Texans are very religious. I just don't think very many of them have even heard of St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas and the JWT.

Its a good tactic. I frame all my libertarian stances this way when arguing with family and friends. When arguing for marijuana legalization some of my Christian friends are aghast, but I say that I want drug abuse to be handled by families friends and churches instead of bureaucrats, and then they usually at least acknowledge that I have a point.

AParadigmShift
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Well, I don't know Debra from Adam, except from watching the debates. And if it is reluctance that animates her, I say we're in need of more hesitant candidates.

She's brilliant.

james1906
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Please don't vote for Bill White.

libertybrewcity
02-03-2010, 04:53 PM
positive thinking people!!!

randolphfuller
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Kinky Friedman is running in the Democratic primary. Just hope he makes it. Texas establishment types would go crazy if they had to choose between Kinky and Debra Medina.

Imperial
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Bill White likes eminent domain. I don't like him.

First, RP ain't gonna win the nom for POTUS, no matter how hard he works at it, no matter how hard WE work at it. The country is not ready.

Second, the point of any 2nd campaign for the GOPer nom would be the same as the point of the 1st campaign for the GOPer nom, i.e., educational and to rally the liberty believers together. There's very little marginal gain to that purpose from the extra time he would have if he gave up TX-14.

I am a political realist. I can honestly tell you I don't think Kokesh, Schiff, Medina, or RJ are going to win- and Rand definitely doesn't yet have it in the bag.

Nevertheless, I think Ron Paul has a real shot at winning the presidential nomination this time around. He knows what controversial issues they will hit him on and can prepare, he has much greater name recognition, can rally massive funding again, can get lots of media attention, etc.

Unlike last time, Ron Paul knows early he has a big base of support. If he bothers to campaign hard and capitalize on it, he could make a big showing. Heck, if he got 20% in Iowa instead of his 10 last time and campaigned hard in liberty-loving NH, he would be on a great road to victory.

On the other hand, there is little guarantee Debra Medina will win in a Senatorial or Gubernatorial bid- a statewide, huge profile thing. Instead of having to hit the ~25-30% we need now to reach the runoff, she would probably be largely 1v1 with some establishment candidate. Going to TX-14 would be really easy to do.

It would also give Medina some political legitimacy. She could be like Paul, posturing as an outsider, with the experience to provide a potent combo to the establishment.

james1906
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
If only we could text in our choice...go Clay Aiken!

james1906
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Kinky Friedman is running in the Democratic primary. Just hope he makes it. Texas establishment types would go crazy if they had to choose between Kinky and Debra Medina.

The Kinkster is running for Ag Commish.

Flash
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Debra would be a better Senator by a mile but I think that would be an even tougher race. Michael Williams (http://www.williamsfortexas.com) is also a Washington outsider, relatively speaking, and he's got the experience in public office that some would hold against Medina. Not to mention the party would probably love the extra bump from nominating a minority.

I was honestly interested in Michael Williams but then I read a news article which showed he wasn't doing so well when it came to fund raising. I wonder if Medina can step in and steal the Tea Party momentum away from him.

Slutter McGee
02-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I was honestly interested in Michael Williams but then I read a news article which showed he wasn't doing so well when it came to fund raising. I wonder if Medina can step in and steal the Tea Party momentum away from him.

Michael Williams has about 600,000 on hand. But because the race for Senate isn't a real race, I think people are reluctant to give to any of the people in contention.

Williams ain't bad at all, and educating people about the job he has done at the Railroad commission isn't going to help Medina. For those that don't know, the railroad commission doesn't have a damn thing to do with railroads. Its all about energy. It is also one of the few areas of state government that has seen voluntary budget cuts, including the turning down of pay raises that had been lawfully passed. Michael Williams is a true fiscal conservative. He is also one of the larger tea party voices.

I think this is great for Medina. A first run at a high political office here in Texas usually means trying to get enough name recognition for your second run. Thats just how it works.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee