PDA

View Full Version : Young Voters for Ron Paul TV Ads!

egarris
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
"Ron Paul Junkie" Rachel Mills is preparing the first Ron Paul TV ads to keep the campaign momentum going after the New Hampshire debate.

You may remember Rachel from her popular YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rsMhQUFkA).

Check out the rough draft. (http://www.people4paul.com/people4paul4.wmv)

The first ad buy will be for TV ads on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central, and will be purchased in the Washington DC/Virginia/Maryland market. This is to maximize exposure to political reporters and DC movers and shakers.

"Young Voters for Ron Paul" has been set up as an independent committee.

Our first buy will be in the next week. We need to raise $6000 for the initial buy. We have raised $3500 in the first week.

To donate via PayPal, visit our Website (http://www.people4paul.com/). To donate by mail: Send a check to Young Voters for Ron Paul 1612 -- 45th Avenue San Francisco, CA 94122 and please email us to let us know you are making a mail contribution (so we may plan the ad buy).

* Questions? Comments? Email us. (mailto:people4paul@yahoo.com) (Eric Garris: Chairman)

joenaab
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
its good, but has a little bit of a smart-assy tone to it. if you can tone that down a bit I think it would be more effective.

great work, though. keep it up!

Thor
06-06-2007, 11:15 AM
The t-shirt clip she did would be a MUCH better ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDx0Q50EJw

joenaab
06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Why not start a Ron Paul commercial-making contest? Create a YouTube group and let people post and we can vote on what's best and maybe get some of them on the airwaves...

winston_blade
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Why not start a Ron Paul commercial-making contest? Create a YouTube group and let people post and we can vote on what's best and maybe get some of them on the airwaves...

I love that idea. I think we could get some great commercials from an idea like that.

kylejack
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I'd like to see Aravoth participate in this. A mix of Rachel's frankness and Aravoth's superb video-editing skills would be an excellent combination.

literatim
06-06-2007, 11:59 AM
You need to tell people ABOUT Ron Paul. Not just tell people to go to his website and look at his record. You should also have a website setup for the commercial so people can easily go and look up information about him.

joenaab
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Let's let the post-debate angst settle down and then talk about how to get this done and where to put ideas in a new thread this week.

We could set up a website, but I was hoping we could leverage a site like YouTube, as it would also be more easily found by people searching for "Ron Paul" within the site.

drinkbleach
06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
She needs to say "mislead" instead of lie. She's got the right idea though.

Thor
06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I still think it is about the boobs... What is the male to female ratio and age breakdown of viewers of Jon Stewart?

You want an ad that will be water cooler fodder the next day, and then virally transmitted on the internet. (I just got a copy of the Bud Light swear jar video. Funny, and virally transmitted. I have no idea how long it has been out, but I just got it)

One poster on the youtube video put up the following comment, and I think it is right on the money:

"you should have put the word boobs in the title and you would get a half a million hits. nice rack btw, great shirt too."

It is shallow, but sex sells.

TheDuke
06-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I hope this is a really rough draft, people need more then just words, at least show the www.ronpaul2008.com website and yes, why not, let the girl throw all her assets into the battle ;)

joenaab
06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
should i round up some smokin' hot brazilian girls to talk about Ron Paul in their sexy accent on video? I only know about 100 of them!

Revolution9
06-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Here is what to do.

The music and movie industry has street teams.

The Ron Paul Street Team Schtick..Set up a "Ron Paul Testimonial" booth in a bunch of different high traffic park areas. Get a good video camera and a bright overcast day is best to shoot with no lighting or reflectors. Put an American Flag up as the background and make sure it covers the entire background of the video. Then let the people on the streets know this is viral YouTube stuff and may be used in a Natinal Campaign ad as part of a collage and have them come up and give a short endorsement for Ron Paul. I guarantee you you will get some highly creative and spontaneous performances from the people of Amercia and the genuine excitement of the endorsers will be there for all to see. As well this will get an entire cross section of faces and archetypes to collage into an ongoing series of viral videos.. With Rachel as the host announcer and voiceover of course:)

The activity will also bring others forward out of curiosity to watch the proceedings and can be used as a chance to impart literature. You may get some on the spot converts that could be really juicy video material for this kind of thing. There will also be some funny as hell stuff said and the right ones in the right sequence can be more insightful and devastating to opponents than a 2 hour policy breakdown of their bibulous pandering to CFR and AIPAC.

Best
Randy

joenaab
06-06-2007, 08:47 PM
brilliant.

Texan4Life
06-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I will have to agree (who wouldn't), that sex does sell. What about a commercial that has some sexy chick(s) that talk about lowering taxes and wearing gold clothing? and then have them to start talking them off and then end it. and say if you want to see they rest go to blah blah dot com. But then again thats pretty cheezy...

But anyway. I think TheDuke has a point - "yes, why not, let the girl throw all her assets into the battle"

Texan4Life
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Awesome idea revolution9!

SeanEdwards
06-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I think a great Ron Paul commercial would include video clips of some of his speeches before Congress where he forcefully opposed the war in Iraq, the patriot act, etc.. with the dates of those speeches prominently displayed.

joenaab
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Can we start a depository somewhere of any and all raw footage of Ron Paul in a format that we can work with, such as quicktime? Are there utilities out there that convert a YouTube video to quicktime or something else supported by movie editing software?

This would allow people to draw from the central database of footage to mix, match, copy, paste, etc. what they can to assemble a nice promo piece.

cujothekitten
06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey guys there's a sticky for a video contest if you're interested

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=1651

IrrigatedPancake
06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Egarris, check your private messages.

RPR-omaha
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I think just running a youtube video with some text after it would be a great commerical. There are some really good videos on there. It also shows people that dont know about Ron Paul is that he has passionate supporters and that he does not run "fake" focus group ads. Plus I think it would be cheap.

AgentSmith
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the street team idea. If I had a good camera I would try something like that myself.

Electric Church
06-07-2007, 02:07 AM
I totally disagree with this..... as I've mentioned in my response to your previous thread about the same topic, people should donate directly to the Ron Paul campaign where they will hire professionals to run professional TV ads...

to me this looks more like a money grab and a diversion....just my personal opinion

kylejack
06-07-2007, 02:11 AM
I totally disagree with this..... as I've mentioned in my response to your previous thread about the same topic, people should donate directly to the Ron Paul campaign where they will hire professionals to run professional TV ads...

to me this looks more like a money grab and a diversion....just my personal opinion

Individuals can contribute a maximum of $2300. If people want to spend more on this, they should feel free, and this is uncapped.

american.swan
06-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Great ideas here. I haven't looked at all the post, but I am thinking that we shouldn't care about Washington DC. We need to go after votes that matter. We aren't going to get anywhere with DC's elite. They already know ALL about Paul.

We need to target places where we can get votes....remember the voting machines aren't going to let Paul win anyways, but I am a pessimist. We need enough votes for the voting machines to not matter.

OHIO, midwest, California....anywhere but Washington DC. How about Seattle? How would I know, I'm in Korea, but DC seems to me to be really useless.

romelll
06-07-2007, 04:27 AM
I think a great Ron Paul commercial would include video clips of some of his speeches before Congress where he forcefully opposed the war in Iraq, the patriot act, etc.. with the dates of those speeches prominently displayed.

A good old song that would complement this video is Show me the Way by Styxx. I think that was released in 1990.

kylejack
06-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Great ideas here. I haven't looked at all the post, but I am thinking that we shouldn't care about Washington DC. We need to go after votes that matter. We aren't going to get anywhere with DC's elite. They already know ALL about Paul.

We need to target places where we can get votes....remember the voting machines aren't going to let Paul win anyways, but I am a pessimist. We need enough votes for the voting machines to not matter.

OHIO, midwest, California....anywhere but Washington DC. How about Seattle? How would I know, I'm in Korea, but DC seems to me to be really useless.

New Hampshire.

Bradley in DC
06-07-2007, 07:43 AM
You need to tell people ABOUT Ron Paul. Not just tell people to go to his website and look at his record. You should also have a website setup for the commercial so people can easily go and look up information about him.

Yes, biographical ads are necessary and usually the first ones campaigns put up.

Bradley in DC
06-07-2007, 07:44 AM
A good old song that would complement this video is Show me the Way by Styxx. I think that was released in 1990.

Make sure someone checks out using commerially licensed songs before putting up an ad.

dude58677
06-07-2007, 10:07 AM
I think a commercial should have soundtrack of the 1812 overture.

drinkbleach
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM

But by using a 527 group we are allowed to donate unlimited sums of money. If we donate to Paul directly we are limited to 2,300 during the primary, and then another 2300 for the presidency.

Sal Collaziano
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Revolution9's idea is great.. Also, the sound track is VERY important. Sorry, I don't know what the 1812 overture is - I guess I don't get out enough :p - but the music has to be VERY patriotic - and it must appeal to young people.

If some type of Street Team thing goes on in the Palm Beach Florida area, I'm in...

Thor
06-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Sorry, I don't know what the 1812 overture is - I guess I don't get out enough :p - but the music has to be VERY patriotic - and it must appeal to young people.

Tchaikovsky - fabulous....

1812 Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMGzBKRttU

1812 Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkS9THHjp38

Start at 3:45 in part 2 to get the full effect of what "it" is.... and it really hits at 5:07, usually with Canons going off... but not in this one...

mconder
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm a big fan of Rachel's work, but I really don't like this one. There's really no shock value here...much to tame. The acting is a little bit cheese too.

I think she needs to find someone with some camera experiance too. The lighting and such are really bad on all her videos. Possibly she could contact the film department of a local college and arrage something more professional for free.

Good thing it's a rough draft.

vertesc
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I love the street team idea. Or Rachel's ad could work, if it was part of a series of ads shot in similar "webcam" style, of different people. The youtube look speaks well to 18-25 year olds, it's cheap, and we can impart information. I would say enhance it with written text for key points. Like when she says he has a great record, give us a 5 second white text on black background explaining his record.

"never broken a campaign promise in 20 years in Congress"

that sort of thing.

Both could be effective.

Sal Collaziano
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Tchaikovsky - fabulous....

1812 Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMGzBKRttU

1812 Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkS9THHjp38

Start at 3:45 in part 2 to get the full effect of what "it" is.... and it really hits at 5:07, usually with Canons going off... but not in this one...

Ahh! Thank you. :)

I love the street team idea. Or Rachel's ad could work, if it was part of a series of ads shot in similar "webcam" style, of different people. The youtube look speaks well to 18-25 year olds, it's cheap, and we can impart information. I would say enhance it with written text for key points. Like when she says he has a great record, give us a 5 second white text on black background explaining his record.

"never broken a campaign promise in 20 years in Congress"

that sort of thing.

Both could be effective.

On the contrary to the response before yours - I think the "cheap" home-made video/commercial will attract attention because it's different - and REALLY open the eyes of those who ARE familiar with the internet.

I think it would be better to see a commercial performed by COMPLETE non-professionals. This is only a first draft and while it can be improved - I think it's a great idea to go with this "home made" approach to see where it brings us. Has it been done before? If it doesn't work, then we'll just pull our money together and try something else. I have no problem contributing. I'll contribute twice if I have to. Let's keep the commercial "non-corporate" looking. So older people can see exactly what their children think and be surprised by how they're compelled enough to do something like this..