PDA

View Full Version : Why I’m Homeschooling My Kid in Science Next Year

0zzy
10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.astronomybuff.com/why-im-homeschooling-my-kid-in-science-next-year/

Very interesting article. VERY true. I've been in schools in Illinois and Texas and Maryland, a lot like this story here.

noxagol
10-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm offering to home school my brother's daughter, I don't want my niece whom I love dearly to grow up stupid.

0zzy
10-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm offering to home school my brother's daughter, I don't want my niece whom I love dearly to grow up stupid.

I don't think school is /that/ bad. At least, if you put them in honors and AP classes. If the high school offers, get AP/IB/Honors/Dual-Credit (College). I'm taking DC US Gov and Economics my senior year, though it's pretty easy :].

The teacher was talking about voting in the primaries:

"What does it do?"
"Expresses what the voters want."

he goes on, yep and blah blah balh, nother question,

"What else does it do besides stating whom the voters want?"
"Make delegates."
"....woo you really know your stuff."
:D

noxagol
10-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Public school is fucking joke. Especially the AP classes. I went through them and slept through them all and got A's. It is THAT bad.

0zzy
10-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Public school is fucking joke. Especially the AP classes. I went through them and slept through them all and got A's. It is THAT bad.

Maybe you're a genius :)

Steve Hunt
10-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Colorado’s public school system was a lot better before the libertarian utopian visionaries of TABOR came to town.

McDermit
10-05-2007, 10:42 PM
even in a 14k/yr catholic school, I slept through
Most of my ap classes and got a's and b's. And standardized tests were always a joke. 99+ percentile on every one. They seemed to always be at least a full year behind our classes.

LibertyOfOne
10-05-2007, 10:46 PM

Very interesting article. VERY true. I've been in schools in Illinois and Texas and Maryland, a lot like this story here.

That dude has some good videos on YouTube. I like the one about who built the universe. Hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81XolzElwR4

noxagol
10-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Plus, just think of history class regarding American history and how much we are taught that certain presidents were good and certain ones are bad and how much most of us disagree on that now.

0zzy
10-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Plus, just think of history class regarding American history and how much we are taught that certain presidents were good and certain ones are bad and how much most of us disagree on that now.

yaaa

Barry Goldwater is mentioned often in my class.
The only thing that is stated is "Ya, he once said that the atomic bomb was just another bomb" but completely ignored everything else.

Mesogen
10-06-2007, 06:54 PM
My 10th grade biology class was EXACTLY like that.

This woman was a poor teacher and she made up for it by having these impossible notebooks to keep track of. Needless to say, I didn't do so well in that class. I also didn't learn much biology.

DanConway
10-06-2007, 06:56 PM

But did you get all 5s? That's the real question.

steph3n
10-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Schools overall are not good, they teach a test instead of teaching to learn.

Mesogen
10-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Crap. It wasn't 10th grade, it was 7th grade. Whatever.
She still sucked.

Shink
10-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Any tips on how to talk my wife into homeschooling? I REALLY don't want the kids going to martial law familiarization, aka public school.

Hope
10-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I wasn't allowed in AP courses because it didn't fit my "career path" -- in other words, my parents didn't go to college. IQ? Doesn't matter. Good performance in the courses I could take? Irrelevant. One time, I forged administration signatures so I could take an AP English class my senior year. We were assigned a book to read and required to do an essay on it over the summer before the class started in the fall. I worked my butt off on that thing, knowing that someone might realize that I hadn't received authorization to take the class and this was my one shot to prove myself. The teacher reads the essay and is blown away. Then the admin realizes I shouldn't be in the class. They take me out and completely ignore the teacher's protests. I'm put in a class of people who would sooner saw off their own legs than read Shakespeare...and would never dream of reading Shakespeare for FUN.

Meanwhile, one of the dumbest people I have ever met waltzes into every AP class available and makes C's or better. Her father is a doctor, you see.

"Does it really matter?" you ask. Yes, it does. AP credit helps you get into college and once there, saves you time and money since they act in the place of college credit.

This is just one story among many that I have. I actually have to recover from the public education I got, e.g. someone might ask me, "Didn't you learn algebra?" and I'd respond, "Well, no, the teacher thought it was more important to teach us how evil abortion is." :mad:

Hope
10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Any tips on how to talk my wife into homeschooling? I REALLY don't want the kids going to martial law familiarization, aka public school.

Check out the studies done on homeschooling. There's a bunch in the homeschooling entry on Wikipedia. Children who are homeschooled are better educated across the board, they become more active in their communities as adults and they retain a sense of curiosity about the world that institutionalized children lose early on. Over and over again studies have found that sticking twenty or thirty children of the same age in a classroom eight hours a day is psychologically harmful. It's a great way to create a Lord of the Flies mentality, but isn't good for much else -- especially learning.

noxagol
10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
But did you get all 5s? That's the real question.

Couldn't take them. My family was poor as dirt and they are like 100 bucks a piece.

TurtleBurger
10-07-2007, 07:49 AM

Make sure the burden is not completely on her. Being a stay-at-home mother is a big enough job without throwing that big of an extra task on her. Offer to do the lesson planning for her, or buy a pre-made lesson plan that gives her a daily schedule (at least to get started). Lesson planning is probably the most daunting part of starting homeschooling, so if you can take that off her plate it would make her more willing to try it. Then pick about two classes you can teach after work (or before work, whatever your schedule is). Of course, it's important to show her reasons why homeschooling is better, but if she feels she's on her own, it's probably not going to happen.

stones88
10-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Texas schools suck. We didn't learn about evolution at all.

Man from La Mancha
10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Texas schools suck. We didn't learn about evolution at all.
You didn't miss much, evolution is as much as a joke as creationism

lucius
10-07-2007, 05:18 PM
You didn't miss much, evolution is as much as a joke as creationism

well put

noxagol
10-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Worrying about the creation life is a joke. We are here, live with it. There are much more troublesome and immediate things to research, like how to get Ron Paul elected!

lucius
10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
It is a little deeper than that. Evolution is a prerequisite for dialectic materialism.

Nefertiti
10-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I actually have to recover from the public education I got, e.g. someone might ask me, "Didn't you learn algebra?" and I'd respond, "Well, no, the teacher thought it was more important to teach us how evil abortion is." :mad:

Sounds like my 9th grade English teacher, who thought it was his responsibility to teach us self-esteem and make sure we didn't all commit suicide. The problem was not just that he did this, but how he did it. He bragged about himself (he was a college basketball ref and he made it to the sweet 16 that year), but of course that meant he was gone every Thursday refereeing rather than teaching. He also raised our self-esteem by going around the classroom today telling everyone how they could "improve" themselves, in front of everyone else. One of my friends I remember was told that she was too private (she had refused to show him all her grades on her report card the day grades came out as he was demanding everyone do), another was too quiet, and I was told I had a negative attitude. About him I certainly did!

JosephTheLibertarian
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM

I question the need to learn this in the first place? Children should only learn about what they're interested in.

Nefertiti
10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't see what the big hullabaloo over creationism versus evolution is. I don't see them as polar opposites. There's no reason not to believe in creation followed by evolution from the original form. For me there is evidence of both, religious and scientific.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I don't see what the big hullabaloo over creationism versus evolution is. I don't see them as polar opposites. There's no reason not to believe in creation followed by evolution from the original form. For me there is evidence of both.

I see it as choice. I personally think that creationism is silly.... but many do not, so what can one do? Keep his opinions to himself I suppose :D I think of creationism as theory; hypothesis, whereas evolution as a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world

Man from La Mancha
10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I see it as choice. I personally think that creationism is silly.... but many do not, so what can one do? Keep his opinions to himself I suppose :D I think of creationism as theory; hypothesis, whereas evolution as a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world
I disagree, the proof of evolution is not very substantial. but forgetting that, I have found proof that chimpanzees are descending from man

http://www.truthtree.com/images/Evolution.jpg

:D

JosephTheLibertarian
10-07-2007, 07:06 PM
hmm that's Bush on the right but what are those creatures that looks like him on the left of these images? :D