PDA

View Full Version : 'Who is Rand Paul?' Article (email this man?)

0zzy
02-02-2010, 03:29 AM
courier-journal.com/article/20100202/COLUMNISTS11/2020301/John+David+Dyche+|+You+may+be+asking++%E2%80%98Who +is+Rand+Paul?+

seems decent but then the second page /w questions comes in:

• Your father — who is campaigning for you as you did for him — co-sponsored a bill with Massachusetts liberal Democrat Barney Frank to eliminate most federal penalties for marijuana possession for personal use. Do you support such legislation?

• Talking about the attempted bombing of a Detroit-bound airplane, your father said, “They're terrorists because we're occupiers.” Do you agree?

• When asked about Guantánamo detainees, you said they “should mostly be sent back to their country of origin” or “drop 'em off back into Afghanistan.” Is that still your position?

• Grayson's campaign says you would not say whether you believed the U.S. government was responsible for the 9/11 attacks and quotes your campaign as saying it was a “complicated situation” with “truth on both sides.” Do you believe the U.S. had involvement in or responsibility for 9/11?

• America is sending Patriot anti-missile systems to Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Kuwait. Do you support this as prudent deterrence of Iran and defense of our oil supplies or oppose it as a “foreign entanglement” of the sort George Washington warned against?

• You advocate “term limits as a means of reining in career politicians and pork barrel spending.” Should five-term Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell be forbidden from a sixth?

• McConnell has used earmarks to bring Kentucky millions of federal dollars. Some — like $38 million for Louisville's 21st Century Parks — seem outside enumerated congressional powers. Is this “pork barrel spending?” What specific McConnell earmarks would you have opposed?

• Asked if you would support McConnell for Republican leader against South Carolina's Jim DeMint you replied, “I don't know that I could make a judgment.” Is that still your position?

• The White House predicts a record $1.6 trillion budget deficit for this fiscal year. What specific mix of revenue and spending changes would you make to balance the budget?

• Would you have opposed the Medicare prescription drug benefit for budgetary or constitutional reasons? The federal tobacco buy-out?

Kentuckians already know and trust the twice-elected Grayson. Paul remains a relative stranger. It is high time we got better acquainted.

like, wtf? sounds like a Grayson campaign ad.

guys email jddyche@yahoo.com.
his name is John David Dyche

squarepusher
02-02-2010, 03:34 AM
damn that guys is out for blood

0zzy
02-02-2010, 03:42 AM
my email

I just had a few concerns with some of the questions you raised in your recent article featuring Rand Paul. The main question being

"Grayson's campaign says you would not say whether you believed the U.S. government was responsible for the 9/11 attacks and quotes your campaign as saying it was a “complicated situation” with “truth on both sides.” Do you believe the U.S. had involvement in or responsibility for 9/11?"

Rand Paul never said the U.S. government was responsible for 9/11. This type of question makes it seem like Rand is a 9/11 "Truther," or conspiracy nuts. And instead of doing your own research you say, "Grayson's campaign says..." and end with "Kentuckians already know and trust the twice-elected Grayson." which makes the overall article read much more like Grayson campaign material than anything else.

Also, you seem fond of asking several questions linking Rand to his father, as if he is somehow responsible and has agreed to everything he says. And although it may be true that there are many issues they agree on, they are not the same person.

And the Grayson campaign seems fond of using this question a lot, "When asked about Guantánamo detainees, you said they “should mostly be sent back to their country of origin” or “drop 'em off back into Afghanistan.” Is that still your position?" Rand was speaking about those who were tried in a military court and found not guilty or if the military deems there isn't enough evidence against a specific person (at least to my understanding of his position). Meaning instead of dropping them off some miles away in Florida and America that he'd rather have them dropped off where they were picked up.

I have no other idea as to where they should be dropped off so it often confuses me why Grayson continuously brings this up. I suppose those found not guilty should still be locked up until the World on Terror is over, according to Grayson.

Anyways, thanks for the coverage nonetheless. Just thought I'd share some of my critiques.

itshappening
02-02-2010, 03:55 AM
the journal is laughable and out of touch

Rand should write an article/response but i doubt they would print it

Chieftain1776
02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Please do not contact local media. Someone made a great post about how counter-productive it is!

Leave well enough alone guys.

itshappening
02-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Lets hope they give Rand a right of reply then because this is ridiculous

RonPaulFanInGA
02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Kentuckians already know and trust the twice-elected Grayson.

Yep, twice-elected to the non-partisan position of Secretary of State. I fail to see how that shows he'll be any good as a U.S. Senator.

Also, what is up with quoting Grayson press releases to ask Paul questions? I assume this author will do the same when he writes an editorial like this for Grayson? I'm not holding my breath.

If this column wasn't paid for by the Grayson campaign it might as well have been.

Chieftain1776
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Please do not contact local media. Someone made a great post about how counter-productive it is!

Leave well enough alone guys.

Found the old post (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2375161&postcount=1):

I know it's hard to stay cool when we read articles critical of Rand, or feel like his positions aren't fairly presented.

But please know, that every time a 'Rand Paul supporter' from out of state writes to a reporter, or says something about the way the press treated Ron Paul during his Presidential race -- it totally hurts the cause of the Rand Paul campaign.

If you don't live in Kentucky, your opinions are not particularly welcome -- even resented. It's far more likely that the reporter will twist something you've written to prove that Rand is supported by a bunch of wild-eyed wacko's. Or just wait until later to stick to Rand even harder.

Even though I am critical of the experience of Rand's team (as far as I can see) -- I recognize that THEY have to represent Rand's positions to the press and to the voters of Kentucky.

Please consider NOT writing to reporters at the Louisiville Courier-Journal, the Lexington Herald-Leader, and other Kentucky newspapers. Getting a bunch of nasty emails from us (or even a bunch of reasonably thoughtful ones) will only make them more determined in their reporting.

There is NO SECOND PLACE in this election. We win, or we go home.

Thank you for listening.

I agree...let Dr. Paul's campaign respond to op-eds. If you must... use the comments section and make relevant arguments.

That said this guy is literally a McConnell biographer and has a stake in McConnell's legacy: http://www.amazon.com/Republican-Leader-Political-Biography-McConnell/dp/1935191594/

As for Rand Paul being "unknown" he is better known than Trey Grayson (http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2009/12/republicans-favored-in-kentucky.html)!:

"64% have no opinion about Grayson, 63% say the same of Conway, and the numbers are 51% for Rand Paul and 38% for Dan Mongiardo."

0zzy
02-02-2010, 04:11 PM
He seemed pretty cool with my email: his response

My question asks for Mr. Paul to make clear his position on any American responsibility for 9/11. Grayson says he dodged the question before. So if his position is as you say he can simply state it.

Rand Paul and his father have campaigned for each other. Thus, questions about the degree to which he shares his father's views are appropriate. If he doesn't share them, he should say so. Since his father is better known people are entitled to know where they differ.

I watched the video of Mr. Paul's comments about the detainees. His comments merit clarification as to precisely which detainees he was talking about. Moreover, even if it is those who have been tried and acquitted or those who will not be tried he should explain why release back to Afghanistan makes sense.

Before the primary I will be asking some tough questions of Mr. Grayson, too. His supporters may then accuse me of sounding like a Paul propagandist.

Thanks for reading and for writing.