PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Sarah Palin!

Cardinal Red
02-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I'd like to thank Sarah Palin for giving this campaign one of the biggest political boosts it has yet seen with her timely endorsement. Just has she has done with Doug Hoffman and her support of the Tea Party movement, she has shown the boldness to buck the Republican establishment and endorse a true grassroots conservative voice for change.

I should say that like many Rand fans, I have mixed views on Palin's past actions and policy preferences. But unlike a some (though thankfully not most) on this forum, I celebrate that for whatever our differences, she fully understands what is at stake in supporting Rand versus the establishment. Believe me, this endorsement wins her no friends in D.C., but Palin and Paul do share a reform and outsider spirit that should be celebrated.

Both Palin and Rand show through their statements that they understand that effective political movements necessarily make alliances even when they do not always share all of the same goals.

As Palin said "While there are issues we disagree on, he and I are both in agreement that it's time to shake up the status quo in Washington and stand up for common sense ideas."

It's a perfect statement of endorsement, one that recognizes that we do not have to agree on every issue with our allies to find common cause. It adds Palin's valuable imprimatur without sacrificing any of Rand's political independence.

If we are to advance Pro-Liberty and Constitutional Consevative ideas, and turn them into legislation, we have to do it in coalition with people we will sometimes agree with and sometimes disagree (even passionately disagree) with..Political movements that cannot make such alliances eventually fade into angry and embittered irrelevance. There are a few on this forum for whom I expect that would be just fine. They enjoy the righteousness of bashing anyone who doesn't share all of their views as a "sellout" or "Neocon"

I'm glad that both Palin and Paul are far bigger and more gracious people than the naysayers, and I look forward to a prosperous partnership in the future.

Malachi
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Going rogue!

dr. hfn
02-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Did you forget that Palin endorsed McCain and Rick Perry?

Agorism
02-02-2010, 02:00 AM
So if Palin runs for president, does this mean that Rand would have to endorse her?

Not that I think she had some grand strategy thought out for this endorsement. I think she kinda shoots from the hip in stuff like this.

low preference guy
02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Rand doesn't have to endorse her. By the end of this primary, pretty much the whole GOP would be endorsing Rand.

Chieftain1776
02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Great Post. I agree wholeheartedly and would add that I think this is a good thing for the small government movement.

Even with our differences I would rather have a Tea Party/Palin/Paul movement reach Washington than the current crop of hacks there now.

I think we really might see some real spending cuts after 2010.

UtahApocalypse
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Were going to win so many elections with all these people that shun away ANY new support... Oh no!! Palin endorsed us and now her hundreds, and maybe thousands of Kentucky supporters are going to look into Rand and probably vote for him!! that Bi%&h how dare she give us more voters!!

Sure there are going to be endorsements for Candidates from people that do not fully back our ideals and values. Them endorsing our candidates is not US endorsing them. Think about when we go for the Presidential race what if we win the GOP are you all going to complain that the Bush's, McCain, Romney, Huck, and the WHOLE entire GOP establishment will be backing OUR candidate?

While I am one of the strongest to shout that we cannot ever compromise our beliefs I understand that endorsements bring voters, money, and yet do not mean we believe the values that they do.

Politics....

RonPaulFanInGA
02-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Were going to win so many elections with all these people that shun away ANY new support... Oh no!! Palin endorsed us and now her hundreds, and maybe thousands of Kentucky supporters are going to look into Rand and probably vote for him!! that Bi%&h how dare she give us more voters!!

Yeah, some of the stuff posted here is downright depressing in its stupidity.

"We don't want Sarah Palin, she is [insert whatever here]."

"We don't want Jim DeMint's endorsement, he is pro-war!!!1"

"We don't want the Club for Growth, they're a neo-con outfit (somehow)!"

I guess some here expect/want Rand Paul to only take an endorsement from his father and tell everyone else who wants to try and help him win to f*** right off. :rolleyes:

At least Rand Paul and his campaign are playing it right/smart.

Cardinal Red
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Congratulations to the campaign and grassroots for all of their hard work in getting us to this point. My headline takes nothing away from that work, which has been absolutely tremendous and a great tribute to everyone involved.

But it ain't gonna win us this election-- it only gives us a chance. Things are so early now-- really only the political geeks are paying attention. Most voters won't really be paying attention to this race until the last few weeks. I guarantee you Grayson will come after Rand with much bigger ammunition than he has deployed thus far. He is keeping his powder dry. When the smears start-- and they will-- We need to be in a great position to respond-- with money, organization and endorsements. Of the latter, I trust Malachi on the ground in Kentucky about the value of a Palin endorsement with Republican primary voters.

The Palin endorsement tells those voters that, Grayson's blatherings aside, Paul is one of "us" not one of "them". It also keeps those national Republican figures and pundits who don't like Ron and Rand (and there are a lot of them) from going after Rand personally-- because to do so picks a fight with Palin-- a fight that few of them are spoiling for. If we can add in DeMint and Club for Growth Rand will pretty much be fully immunized against any such attacks-- he will have decisively established himself as the true conservative in the race. Which is *exactly* the positioning he needs to win a Republican primary in Kentucky.

K466
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
While Sarah is really no one I would like to support, I'm glad Rand is getting this boost.

We need to keep reminding Rand to stick to his principles. Abandoning them or watering them down won't get him in office.

anaconda
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Isn't anyone here concerned that there is no comment from her or her PAC? Shouldn't the "endorsement" have come from Palin directly? Not announced by Rand? Something seems all wrong to me...

Matt Collins
02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Isn't anyone here concerned that there is no comment from her or her PAC? Shouldn't the "endorsement" have come from Palin directly? Not announced by Rand? Something seems all wrong to me...
This has been addressed already. Search the Rand forum.