PDA

View Full Version : WHAS 11 Full Interview!

TheTyke
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
It's finally up!

http://www.whas11.com/video/featured-videos/Raw-Interview-Rand-and-Ron-Paul--83303732.html

Dreamofunity
02-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Sw00t.

jabf2006
02-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I've been forgiving so far to Rand in regard to his stance on Guantanamo. In this interview, Ron gave a fantastic answer to the question about Guantanamo and providing its prisoners due process...so good that when Rand had to follow it up with his own, the problems with Rand's view became glaring.

Rand comes off very poorly when talking about foreign policy with his father.

ctiger2
02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I watched it and I like Ron better than Rand. They're both very good, but Ron is more biting and comes off as less of a politician. Rand's running a tough race so I don't blame him.

TheTyke
02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
And again, the news let our opponent drive the issue, spending most of the interview the divisive issue of foreign policy. In the larger picture, if wars had to be declared as Rand insists, none of this would even be an issue. They know this is where they can divide the national base from the actual KY Republican voters, no matter how carefully words are chosen.

They didn't spend time discussing our opponent's support for Clinton, his speech on global warming, his ties to banking and bailout senators, the political establishment etc, because of the reporter's questions. And they have more bearing on the bigger picture. Disappointing!

Michigan11
02-01-2010, 10:19 PM
This interview... good stuff. Let's push this movment to the next level, the people are ready for it!

brandon
02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I've been forgiving so far to Rand in regard to his stance on Guantanamo. In this interview, Ron gave a fantastic answer to the question about Guantanamo and providing its prisoners due process...so good that when Rand had to follow it up with his own, the problems with Rand's view became glaring.

+1000

Interviewer: "Congressman Paul, do you believe gitmo should be shut down?"

Ron Paul: "Yes."

You can hear the pain in Ron's voice when he said that. He knew he wasn't supposed to say that and it would hurt Rand, but he couldn't tell a lie. He couldn't compromise his beliefs for pragmatic politics.

Will there ever be another man like Ron Paul?

brandon
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
And again, the news let our opponent drive the issue, spending most of the interview the divisive issue of foreign policy. In the larger picture, if wars had to be declared as Rand insists, none of this would even be an issue. They know this is where they can divide the national base from the actual KY Republican voters, no matter how carefully words are chosen.

They didn't spend time discussing our opponent's support for Clinton, his speech on global warming, his ties to banking and bailout senators, the political establishment etc, because of the reporter's questions. And they have more bearing on the bigger picture. Disappointing!

In all fairness, our nation's foreign policy is several magnitudes more important than Grayson's ties to various people. It's a shame Rand can't take his father's stand on these issues.

RyanRSheets
02-01-2010, 10:41 PM

God, I hope so. I pray that he will run in 2012.

TheTyke
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
In all fairness, our nation's foreign policy is several magnitudes more important than Grayson's ties to various people. It's a shame Rand can't take his father's stand on these issues.

Perhaps I could have worded it more clearly.

The Establishment grip on Washington is the real culprit that perpetuates these wars. Closing down a prison and releasing the prisoners doesn't even address the underlying political and policy problems that got them there in the first place. But it's a nice talking point for Treyson.

Matt Collins
02-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Was any part of this broadcast on TV? Was the audio as bad on TV as it was on their website?

Matt Collins
02-02-2010, 12:00 AM

They didn't spend time discussing our opponent's support for Clinton, his speech on global warming, his ties to banking and bailout senators, the political establishment etc, because of the reporter's questions. And they have more bearing on the bigger picture. Disappointing!The day was about Rand and Ron, not about Grey Trayson. Also, when you are ahead, you don't talk about the other guy!

Dreamofunity
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Was any part of this broadcast on TV? Was the audio as bad on TV as it was on their website?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=229129 (unless you're refering to tonights news, showing different parts)

Audio was better on their TV clips, but I don't like the way they edited it. Makes Ron look bad on 9/11/Bin Laden to the average voter.

TheTyke
02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
The day was about Rand and Ron, not about Grey Trayson. Also, when you are ahead, you don't talk about the other guy!

Point taken. Just worried about how all that came across in KY... hopefully will be ok. :)

devil21
02-02-2010, 12:24 AM

His father has been in Congress for the better part of the last 30 years. Do you really expect the eye surgeon son to be as on point as Ron is during, his FIRST EVER CAMPAIGN? Come on. Raising the bar a little bit high aren't you? What I think we're banking on here is that Ron will continue to mold Rand into a representative of the Liberty movement. Rand won't agree with his father on everything, nor should he, but he's got one hell of a foundation.
Rand is a work in progress for us all. You're holding him to a very high standard way too early I think. And he still beats hacks like Grayson hands down.

And Ron is absolutely cheesing his ass off during this interview, particularly at the beginning. You know he's thrilled to be sitting next to his son on the campaign trail, especially when he's attending a rally for his son, not himself.

tuco.sargent
02-02-2010, 01:55 AM
+1000

Interviewer: "Congressman Paul, do you believe gitmo should be shut down?"

Ron Paul: "Yes."

You can hear the pain in Ron's voice when he said that. He knew he wasn't supposed to say that and it would hurt Rand, but he couldn't tell a lie. He couldn't compromise his beliefs for pragmatic politics.

I can't agree with you more. I wish Rand would have been the next Ron but it seems like being pragmatic is more important to him than being consistent about the issues. I feel if we want real change we need a change in ideology and not just in the people we put in office. The constitution means nothing if the people don't support the ideas behind it.

The people of Kentucky may not agree with Ron on this issue, but how are we going to change their minds on it if we keep telling them what they want to hear? I wish I could go back to the Rally and thank Ron for having the courage to tell the truth even though it wasn't popular time and time again. It's that courage that started the movement, and while I don't think Rand has it I hope someone will come along who does.

jabf2006
02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
His father has been in Congress for the better part of the last 30 years. Do you really expect the eye surgeon son to be as on point as Ron is during, his FIRST EVER CAMPAIGN? Come on. Raising the bar a little bit high aren't you? What I think we're banking on here is that Ron will continue to mold Rand into a representative of the Liberty movement. Rand won't agree with his father on everything, nor should he, but he's got one hell of a foundation.
Rand is a work in progress for us all. You're holding him to a very high standard way too early I think. And he still beats hacks like Grayson hands down.

And Ron is absolutely cheesing his ass off during this interview, particularly at the beginning. You know he's thrilled to be sitting next to his son on the campaign trail, especially when he's attending a rally for his son, not himself.

I'm not raising the bar at all, the bar has been already set. Its Rand's job to get as close to it as he can while becoming a Senator. I think Ron is pretty much done moulding Rand (Rand left home a long time ago); Rand's a big boy and makes his own decisions. He decided all on his own to take this position on Afghanistan and Guantanamo. I doubt he'd like to know that his supporters are "banking" on his dad "moulding" him further.

All I was trying to say is that, when Rand talks about this alone, it sounds bearable; having Rand answer directly after his father made Rand's position sound as ridiculous as it actually is, it didn't come off so well, and Rand was visibly nervous. Any rational and reasonable individual could not disagree with what the elder Paul had just said, but Rand had to.

itshappening
02-02-2010, 07:18 AM
the campaign need to make sure that the reporters etc. aren't entirely fueled by Grayson's talking points, we need to shape the debate better I think

Gitmo is not a massive issue and instead of getting into a debate about it he should just say "I said back in November there ought to be military comissions and those who are found guilty dealt with and those who are not guilty sent back to where they came from. This is what will probably happen anyway before I get to the Senate " and if the reporter follows up or continues he should refer to his previous answer and if the reporter STILL continues he should completely change the subject to jobs, taxes and the economy:

"I think, with respect, this election will be about the economy and jobs, how the career politicians in Washington have spent us into an oblivion. Kentucky Republicans have a chance to send a message, to elect new leadership, to say enough is enough and we can't carry on like this"