PDA

View Full Version : Baptist group accused of child-trafficking in Haiti

BlackTerrel
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
I feel for these people because I'm relatively certain they had only the best of intentions and were only trying to help out. But I think it shows how meddling in other countries affairs can quickly make things worse.

They may need some help now. But once the worst of it is over I think Haiti needs to be left alone so they can work things out themselves.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/haiti/baptist-group-accused-of-child-trafficking-in-haiti/article1450829/

At least 10 of the 33 Haitian children a group of American Baptists tried to take across the border into the Dominican Republic have parents, says the group taking care of them while the Haitian government investigates an alleged case of child trafficking.

Ten Americans are in custody and set to appear in Port-au-Prince court this morning, accused by the Haitian government of trying to take the children out of the country without proper documentation.

Aid groups have warned against hasty adoptions or transfers of vulnerable children in the wake of the earthquake that devastated Haiti's infrastructure.

The church organizing the transfer of the children says the group had only the best of intentions, that it wanted to put the children in a Dominican Republic orphanage and that it was sure all the children were parentless.

On Friday evening, a truck was stopped at the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. It was carrying 33 Haitian children, some as young as two months old...

...he Haitian government says the group had no approval and no documentation that would allow them to take the children out of the country.

“They tried to leave with the children without the proper documents and without following the formal procedures,” said public security secretary Amarick Louis.

“… Specialized units, and territorial units, have been instructed to take all appropriate measures against people who don't respect the rules.”

Drew Ham, a pastor with the Central Valley Baptist Church in Meridian, Idaho, said there has been a gross misunderstanding. The group was trying to help, he said, and thought they were acting by the book.

jmdrake
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Flashback: 2007, Chad accuses French charity of child trafficking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/oct/29/spain.france

I don't know how that case ever came out.

BlackTerrel
02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
"We'll take your kids and give them a better life".

I'm sure the majority of these people have good intentions - but the outcomes are not so good.

reardenstone
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
"We'll take your kids and give them a better life".

I'm sure the majority of these people have good intentions - but the outcomes are not so good.

When if ever will the truth come out?

White Christians are already being vilified by ultra-progressive drones:

http://creoleneworleans.typepad.com/creole_folks/2010/02/protesatnt-laura-silsby-american-business-model-of-slave-trading-for-profits.html

tangent4ronpaul
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't suppose they are working with ACORN... :rolleyes:

-t

BlackTerrel
02-05-2010, 05:37 PM
When if ever will the truth come out?

White Christians are already being vilified by ultra-progressive drones:

http://creoleneworleans.typepad.com/creole_folks/2010/02/protesatnt-laura-silsby-american-business-model-of-slave-trading-for-profits.html

Looks like an irrelevant blog. Not exactly something to worry about.

GBurr
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
There are a great number of respected international missions who these churches would be much better off working with. The church should have never sent these missionaries without proper legal and logistical support. The church would have been much better off working with an international mission that has the procedures in place to prevent a mistake like this from being made. For instance World Help is a Christian mission that has been on the ground in Haiti since the quake. They have a respected child advocacy program that they have been operating for years. By working with an organization such as world help the church in Idaho could have prevented this terrible mistake.

http://www.worldhelp.net/

I'm sure that there are a lot of other mission organizations similar to World Help.

Nemesis
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I feel for these people because I'm relatively certain they had only the best of intentions and were only trying to help out. But I think it shows how meddling in other countries affairs can quickly make things worse.

/[/url]

So let me get this straight, by trying to assist the people of Haiti, we're "meddling" in their affairs.

You realize that the accused weren't USG employees? Yes? These were free men and women ON THEIR OWN, attempting to engage in a mass kidnapping plan.

revolutionisnow
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
So let me get this straight, by trying to assist the people of Haiti, we're "meddling" in their affairs.

You realize that the accused weren't USG employees? Yes? These were free men and women ON THEIR OWN, attempting to engage in a mass kidnapping plan.

Maybe we should have just sent them a Hallmark card, instead of trying to meddle in their affairs and provide aid and assistance.....:confused:

torchbearer
02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
were these the orphans they've been talking about?

AgentOrange
02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
The children weren't orphans, it seems the parents may have been lied to in order to get their children (what the parents were told doesn't mesh with what was on the groups public website), according to reports the leader & other members of the group were warned by numerous people that what they were doing was illegal.....no, I don't have any sympathy for them.

Taking children from their parents is not "help". They could have brought in supplies of food and water as many other groups are doing. They could have wrote a check for someone to bring in supplies.