PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown: "I just know that I'm a Scott Brown Republican."

bobbyw24
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Fresh off an election victory in Massachusetts, Republican Senator-elect Scott Brown advocated a big tent outlook for the GOP when asked whether his party should move in a more moderate direction.

"They can do whatever they want," Brown said of other Republicans, on ABC's "This Week." "I just know that I'm a Scott Brown Republican. What does that mean? That means I'm going to go down there and be accountable, accessible, open, and honest, and I'm going to bring good government and fairness back to the equation."

Brown said his win in a solidly-Democratic state, along with the interest in the Q&A session President Obama and House Republicans had on Friday, is proof that voters want more transparency and less backroom dealing.

"What it means is that now there will be full and fair debate," Brown said of his 41st Republican vote in the Senate that erased a Democratic supermajority. "And there will be no more behind-closed-doors actions."

Brown, a socially moderate Republican in an age where the national party is nearly unified on opposition to abortion rights and same-sex marriage, said states should be allowed to make their own decisions on marriage rights. He said while he is pro-choice, he is against partial- birth abortions, federal funding of abortions and believes in strong parental consent notification laws.

bobbyw24
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/01/brown-humbled-by-white-house-talk-but-doesnt-rule-out-2012-run.html

Aratus
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
SNL would be in the gravy were scott brown, mitt romney
and sarah palin to debate each other in 2012... i was assuming
he'd spend the next two years living down his Cosmo mag spread from 1982!

Uriel999
01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
SNL would be in the gravy were scott brown, mitt romney
and sarah palin to debate each other in 2012... i was assuming
he'd spend the next two years living down his Cosmo mag spread from 1982!

Lmao, and Ron Paul pwning them all.

"Hey mittens have your lawyers told you whats in the Constitution yet? Ya know I am amazed you've gotten so far in life being illiterate."

"Hey comrade cosmo boy, so good to see your a hypocrite supporting health care."

"Mrs. Palin....your just too easy a target. I'll give you a pass."

bobbyw24
02-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Is Scott Brown's Senate election an omen of the possible resurgence of the moderate Northeastern Republican? Legions of disaffected moderates are hoping so.

On Sunday, the incoming senator told ABC's Barbara Walters he's pro-choice, a philosophy driven out of what famed and beloved Republican consultant Lee Atwater described as the party's big tent. [See a transcript of the interview here].
But for now, that big tent is more of a revival tent dominated by the Christian right and conservative activists whose control has served to reduce the party to pup tent size in the Northeast. After the November, 2008 elections, the GOP lost its foothold in the Northeast. New England once served as the party's base. In Franklin Delano Roosevelt's landslide 1944 Democratic win, only Maine and Vermont cast their electoral votes for the GOP. In more recent times, the Northeast elected Republicans like Nelson Rockefeller as governor of New York, Jacob Javits as its senator, John Chafee (Lincoln's father) as senator from Rhode Island, Christopher Shays as a congressman from Connecticut , and John Lindsay from New York City, among others.

Republican Northeastern moderates still held considerable sway within the party structure until the 1990s. I remember covering the 1992 Republican convention that re-nominated George Bush the Elder. Yes, that is where Pat Buchanan delivered his culture wars speech calling Democrats cross-dressers and Vice President Dan Quayle, in a speech in California on the subject of the Los Angeles riots, criticized the fictional Murphy Brown TV character for having a baby out of wedlock.

It was also, as I saw it, the end of the era of Republican moderation. Having attended and reported on every Republican convention since 1976, I was used to seeing large, powerful delegations of pro-choice women in attendance every four years. The GOP convention in 1992 was the last where I saw that group in evidence.

Moderate Republicans have no doubt been marginalized in recent years. Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter read the writing on the wall. He fled the GOP to become a Democrat after years of hounding by the religious right and conservative groups like the Club for Growth, which was once headed by former Rep. Pat Toomey whose GOP primary challenge to Specter prompted his decision to switch parties.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/02/01/scott-browns-election-holds-the-key-to-gops-comeback-in-the-no/

itshappening
02-01-2010, 06:43 AM
No it's not, Brown is a big government Republican. there is no resurgence of that.

Stary Hickory
02-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Rhino

CharlesTX
02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Rhino

This.