PDA

View Full Version : Rally for the Republicans report(s)

amisspelledword
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
It was awesome.

Baptist Preacher intro guy
This man spoke about conservation vs. restoration. He made an nice analogy of what we need in this country politically to an old beat up classic car. He said if you bought a broken down classic car, you don't want to "conserve" it-- you want to restore it to its former glory. He went on to say that just like the car, we don't need to "conserve" what we've got with our government right now--- we need to "restore" it to its former, original glory.

Aimee Allen - http://www.myspace.com/aimeeallen
Prior to hype for this event, I had never heard of her. She did a good job setting the mood and an especially awesome job adopting her song, "Revolution" to Rand Paul's campaign by allowing 2 of Rand's sons to help out on guitar and leading the shouts "Rand Paul!" in place of "Ron Paul!"

Ron Paul
I've never heard Ron Paul speak in person so this was the ultimate highlight for me. I can't think of any YouTube video or news appearance I've seen him on that was as good and beautiful as what he said tonight. He spoke about why individual liberty is so important to us and shared some things about how impressed he was been with the "intellectual revolution" that is occurring.

Rand Paul
Lots and lots of cheers for his big talking points: term limits, gun rights ("If we have to wait to buy a gun, congress should have to wait before passing a law"), and financial responsibility. Win, Rand win!

After the event they allowed people to have pictures taken with the two Pauls in front of a giant Rand Paul sign. There was a very large line to get the pictures. They had a photographer taking the pics and told us they'd be on some flickr account for us to retrieve. Anyone know when or where that might be? Is there already a campaign flickr account?

jmdrake
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Cool. How was the crowd? Did a lot of people brave the weather?

amisspelledword
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
there were a lot of people there. i dont want to make any estimates but i'd say WHAS11's report of ~300 is a lot closer than the BluegrassBulletin's estimate of ~800.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but I'm curious why anyone would be in favor of term limits. Let's look at the incentivization that term limits impose. As long as there is a Central Bank and fiat money there is going to be widespread corruption, and as Thomas Jefferson so aptly phrased, Corporations will rise up around the bank, and in the end will steal from us all that we have so rightly earned. This has been happening for a long time. Imposing term limits will not stop this. What will happen if Term Limits are imposed is twofold, and the evidence of what will transpire can be seen in todays politicians.

#1 Since politicians will not worry about getting re-elected, and they have no incentive to care for the long term stability, prosperity, or health of the Nation they will, as they have been lobbied and paid for, suck the Treasury and this Nation dry (even faster) so when they leave office they will have a nice comfortable corporate job waiting for them (as they do now). As long as they have to worry in some sense about re-election, they will try and keep this to the minimum that allows them to get re-elected. Look at Dodd, Gregg, and others who are retiring. Do they care what they are doing? No they are so blatantly obvious now because they do not care about re-election. The same goes for President's in their second-term. We have ample evidence, and reason (Moral Hazard) to prove these points.

#2 It will be the ultimate end to True Statesman. No longer will there be a Ron Paul or Larry McDonald or Howard Buffet. I think it would be a shame to kick out these types of people. Where would we be today if Ron Paul could have only served two terms, or three, or even four? Term limits to me seem arbitrary and asinine in the context of a Constitutional Republic. (You know my feelings generally)

So, what will happen is a two-fold kick in the balls. A one-two punch. I do not think Rand has thought this through and I think this is populist bullshit, which will cause untold harm. Minimum wage laws sound good in theory, do they not?

Austin
01-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I imagine the photos will be on here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randpaulforsenate/) sometime soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randpaulforsenate/

amisspelledword
01-30-2010, 08:23 PM
im uncomfortable with term limits also

but its something he is campaigning on pretty hard and its working and its something he mentioned tonight

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-30-2010, 08:24 PM
im uncomfortable with term limits also

but its something he is campaigning on pretty hard and its working and its something he mentioned tonight

Yeah, and people who campaign for minimum wage laws that also works, but just because it is easy to dupe the masses doesn't mean it is the correct course of action, mmmm?

Malachi
01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, and people who campaign for minimum wage laws that also works, but just because it is easy to dupe the masses doesn't mean it is the correct course of action, mmmm?

Apples and oranges comparing minimum wage laws to term limits.

Keep this thread on topic, I'd like to hear reports! Thanks!:D

TheTyke
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I actually agree with the 800+ estimate. The room had 3 sections, each seating about 450... and we had 2 of them opened up and they were mostly full. Either way it was amazing. There was heavy snow around the state and a lot of people didn't go or canceled because of the weather... yet we had that many show up. They said over 30 showed up to go door to door.

We sold stacks of Rand Paul shirts, distributed hundreds of signs and bumper & lapel stickers. Though I wouldn't have expected it at first, we sort of spontaneously fell into positions and the event ran quite smooth. The audio system turned out great, and I saw about 5 cameras on tripods, so hopefully we'll get some good video soon.

There were a LOT of young people, and quite a bit of enthusiasm. Rand's sons playing guitar with Aimee was a great touch. I think we had a really diverse crowd, from those the liberty movement veterans singing along with Aimee and chanting, to the newer 9-12 additions, some of the old guard (even some leadership)

There was a raffle held, with three prizes: A Constitution autographed by Ron & Rand, a private breakfast with Ron & Rand tomorrow, and a rifle with their signatures engraved on it. Pretty amazing prizes really!

Ron's speech was REALLY impressive. Right up front he acknowledged that he might disagree with some on area like foreign policy, but pointed out that we all want a return to the Constitution and freedom was bringing us together It's hard for me to put into words how excellent it was... hopefully someone will post video soon! I think this was not only a great event for Rand, who also gave a good speech, but a chance for Ron to really break the ice in KY... I think people found out they agreed with him a lot more than they expected.

JamesButabi
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Im also not so big on term limits. Although I feel that is something that will get struck dwon instantly for a vote anyway.

Thargok
01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

Way too large to post as pictures, so you'll have to click the links.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496275/IMG_1035.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496275/IMG_1044.JPG

I have a few more, but the fact of the matter was I was listening more than taking pictures, and quite a few need to be fixed up because I wasn't focusing on the lighting at all.

amisspelledword
01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Ron's speech was REALLY impressive. Right up front he acknowledged that he might disagree with some on area like foreign policy, but pointed out that we all want a return to the Constitution and freedom was bringing us together It's hard for me to put into words how excellent it was... hopefully someone will post video soon! I think this was not only a great event for Rand, who also gave a good speech, but a chance for Ron to really break the ice in KY... I think people found out they agreed with him a lot more than they expected.

Ron's speech left me feeling extremely inspired and hopefully. It's like with Ron and Rand we're at the edge of something truly great and looking right in to it. I hope we get there.

Flash
01-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I can't wait for the youtube. Live streams don't work really well on my computer so I couldn't get it going.

clint4liberty
01-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Dear Ron Paul Forums,

Here is the full audio coverage of the Dr. Rand Paul/Congressman Ron Paul here.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ky-grassroots-radio

Sincerely yours,

Clint Hardy, KY Grass Roots Radio

Gage
01-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I imagine the photos will be on here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/randpaulforsenate/) sometime soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randpaulforsenate/
That is an unofficial photostream created by myself and another photographer.

I will have photos from the event here (http://flickr.com/gageskidmore) very soon.

yatez112
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Definitely worth the wait! :)

The event seemed to go very smoothly. Aimmee Allen's musical act kinda loosened the crowd up and got everyone ready to hear some sensible thinking. Sound was excellent as well; as noted, there were at least 3 local newstations (WHAS, WAVE3, WDRB) covering video. I saw some guy that perhaps noted my inner-nerd....saw a face that I have seen quite a few times, but I couldn't pinpoint who it was til it finally hit me that he has been a special guest on Kentucky Tonight(KET) a few times. :P

Speeches were great! My typed words won't do justice, so just watch the youtube vids when they are put up. :)

Anyone know who was the man that introduced everyone? I don't remember him saying his name, but I believe he said he's known Rand for quite a while.

Bought a t-shirt and picked up some bumper stickers. :)

I've got to admit, I was a bit weary about the two religious-affiliated speakers...hoping they wouldn't stray too far into certain topics.

Great event, and glad to see him speak for a second time. :)

Matt Collins
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Rand did say that Ron had voted for every term limits bill that came before him.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-30-2010, 11:38 PM
I support term limits.

Why the hell does anyone need to stay in Congress for 40+ years like Robert Byrd? Why does anyone need to make a career out of it?

All it does is make it easier for lobbyists to buy a "lifetime representative", since incumbents rarely lose; especially in the U.S. House. Constant turnover would only be a good thing.

Matt Collins
01-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I will have photos from the event here (http://flickr.com/gageskidmore) very soon.You rock dude! :D

low preference guy
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
I think term limits is an interesting topic. But I can't figure out why it is discussed in a thread titled "Rally for the Republicans report".

We should translate our willing to be principled to the Forums. Not derailing threads should be a new consistent practice.

Bergie Bergeron
01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Can't wait to hear how much the event raised !

Dreamofunity
01-31-2010, 01:46 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4318291874_331a6e433d.jpg

I really like this picture. It shows Ron in the forefront, but has Rand right behind him ready to step into his footsteps and take over where Ron leaves off.

itshappening
01-31-2010, 05:32 AM
does anyone know if we got into the sunday newspapers in Kentucky? the courrier journal and the lexington herald leader I think it is?

thomas-in-ky
01-31-2010, 08:39 AM
The 300 estimate was way low. Right before it started, I stood up and tried to count. Not everyone was seated yet but... There were 20 rows of 10 people (200) on one side of the room, with the same on the left side of the room (200). In the center section, I couldn't count how many seats across - at least 10, maybe 15, going 20 rows back, so that's another 200 to 300 people. (minus some space for the cameras). There were a few unoccupied seats, but then also some people sitting more than 20 rows back. So I'm guessing 600 to 700 people, give or take 100 people. I wouldn't dispute the 800 number, but I have to laugh at the 300 number.

Ethek
01-31-2010, 09:04 AM
I really like this picture. It shows Ron in the forefront, but has Rand right behind him ready to step into his footsteps and take over where Ron leaves off.

Awesome Picture

Koz
01-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but I'm curious why anyone would be in favor of term limits. Let's look at the incentivization that term limits impose. As long as there is a Central Bank and fiat money there is going to be widespread corruption, and as Thomas Jefferson so aptly phrased, Corporations will rise up around the bank, and in the end will steal from us all that we have so rightly earned. This has been happening for a long time. Imposing term limits will not stop this. What will happen if Term Limits are imposed is twofold, and the evidence of what will transpire can be seen in todays politicians.

#1 Since politicians will not worry about getting re-elected, and they have no incentive to care for the long term stability, prosperity, or health of the Nation they will, as they have been lobbied and paid for, suck the Treasury and this Nation dry (even faster) so when they leave office they will have a nice comfortable corporate job waiting for them (as they do now). As long as they have to worry in some sense about re-election, they will try and keep this to the minimum that allows them to get re-elected. Look at Dodd, Gregg, and others who are retiring. Do they care what they are doing? No they are so blatantly obvious now because they do not care about re-election. The same goes for President's in their second-term. We have ample evidence, and reason (Moral Hazard) to prove these points.

#2 It will be the ultimate end to True Statesman. No longer will there be a Ron Paul or Larry McDonald or Howard Buffet. I think it would be a shame to kick out these types of people. Where would we be today if Ron Paul could have only served two terms, or three, or even four? Term limits to me seem arbitrary and asinine in the context of a Constitutional Republic. (You know my feelings generally)

So, what will happen is a two-fold kick in the balls. A one-two punch. I do not think Rand has thought this through and I think this is populist bullshit, which will cause untold harm. Minimum wage laws sound good in theory, do they not?

You make some very valid points here, but I think you are forgetting a few important items.

The founders never meant for our representatives to become career politicians. The beauty of the system they set up was that lawmakers would not create laws that would be tyrannical because after thier term was over they would have to go back to private life and would be subject to any laws they created. Nowadays once you get in you are mostly there for life, so they never go back to private life.

The other is that incumbents are re-elected like 90% of the time based on name recognition alone.

These two things coupled together keep politicians out of touch with those they govern, and not subject to the laws that they create. if you knew you were going to have to go back to the private sector you would be less likely to create laws that are onerous to business. Hell, Obama said himself that the short time he actually worked for a law firm he felt like he was working for the enemy because it was a business that was 'in business' to actually make a profit.

So what we end up with is career politicians who really don't care if the laws they create are anti business or create too much regulation or bureaucracy that small businesses have to wade through to get anything accomplished becuase they won't have to worry about it personally.

Although it would limit the very few handful of politicians that do tell the truth and follow the constitution, it would get rid of the career politicians as well.

I'm all for term limits. Make them go back to the private sector.

RyanRSheets
01-31-2010, 04:00 PM

There were some people in front of me who didn't stand or clap when Ron first came out. By the end of the speech, they were recording it and standing and cheering! I don't know if they were just being lazy at the beginning or what, but I like to think he changed their minds.