PDA

View Full Version : IN Univ. says Tom Woods has "insufficient academic credibility" to come speak!

awsharp
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
That's what the current leaders of YAL at Indiana University Bloomington were told when asking for funding from the University to help bring him to speak. The story broke on the Indiana Standard, a new Conservative newspaper on campus, and was on the front page of C4L (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/#31877) today as well as CampusReform.org (http://iub.campusreform.org/group/86/blog/indiana-university-40000-for-edwards-nothing-for-free-market-thinkers#comment-3).

If you'd like to help bring Tom Woods to a campus that desperately needs to hear his message, here is the link to the PayPal donation page for YAL at IU:

http://bit.ly/YALatIU

jclay2
01-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Can you elaborate on this a little more.

Andrew-Austin
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
"insufficient academic credibility"

What does that mean in this case?

Hes controversial?

Hes against the status quo?

He would offend the perspective's of the IN Univ staff and administration?

He went to Harvard and Columbia Unversity, he wrote a NY Times bestselling book, was a history prof, now a senior fellow at the LVMI, with more great books expected up his sleeve.

Seems to me college school's are not nearly for diversity of thought and perspective as they pretend to be.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
"insufficient academic credibility"

What does that mean in this case?

Hes controversial?

Hes against the status quo?

He went to Harvard and Columbia Unversity, he wrote a NY Times bestselling book, was a history prof, now a senior fellow at the LVMI, with more great books expected up his sleeve.

Seems to me college school's are not nearly for diversity of thought and perspective as they pretend to be.

I think Murray being relegated to a Polytech University for most of his Academia life, and then hated by the UNLV Department and being thrown in the "east wing" and called all sorts of names by the faculty is more than enough proof. Let's even go back to Mises and he couldn't even get a paying gig as a Professor! He had to be an adjunct at NYU for gods sake.

AdamT
01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Woods is a PhD for christ's sakes. I'd say IN Univ are the ones lacking credibility.

Dreamofunity
01-28-2010, 11:22 PM
lol, he has a Ph.D from Columbia and went to Harvard.

Travlyr
01-28-2010, 11:57 PM
The beauty of the internet and the free market is "they" know they cannot compete with the likes of Tom Woods. Suppress.

libertarian4321
01-29-2010, 05:03 AM

Obviously, degrees from second rate schools like Columbia and Harvard just don't carry much weight at a top tier University like Indiana...

awsharp
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Can you elaborate on this a little more.

Most of the details are contained in the hyperlinks I included. What specifically did you want me to elaborate on?

pacelli
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Most of the details are contained in the hyperlinks I included. What specifically did you want me to elaborate on?

The first hyperlink was to an blank & all white page with no story posted on it. The second link took me to a paypal page.

Could you please post the text of the details on this thread? Thanks.