PDA

View Full Version : Awesome! Just met a Ron Paul supporter under unusual circumstances

margomaps
10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
As I walked down the road today, I saw a cell phone sitting on the pavement. Being a decent and honest person, I looked through the contact list and called the entry listed as "Dad". Left a message on the voicemail explaining that I must have found his kid's phone, and provided my contact info. Later in the day the phone's owner called me, and I gave him my address so he could pick up the phone.

As I was waiting for him to show up, I decided to put my Ron Paul t-shirt on -- I do that sometimes in the hope that someone, somewhere, will see it and think "Ron Paul...huh...so he does have real supporters beyond the internet!".

Anyway, the guy pulled up to my driveway, and the first thing he said when he saw my shirt was, "Hey, Ron Paul!"

Me: "You've heard of him?"

Him: "Oh yeah! He came to our church last Sunday morning."

Me: "Wow, that's great! I was at a rally for Ron in Manchester Sunday morning, and I heard he was going to attend a local service. How was his speech?"

Him: "There was no speech. He actually joined us in our Sunday school class for the entire hour, and worshipped with us. We've had other presidential candidates come to our church before...Buchanan, McCain...but none actually sat down with us in Sunday school to study the Bible and worship. I was very impressed."

Me: "That's pretty neat."

Him: "Yeah...he's got my vote -- that's for sure."

Me: "Me too. Awesome!"

That was pretty much it. Now that I typed it out, it doesn't sound that interesting. But it really made my day to meet another Ron Paul supporter in New Hampshire, totally out of the blue. And the circumstances under which we met and got to talking about Paul were a bit uncanny. I almost didn't pick up that cellphone when I saw it (I thought it was broken). I almost didn't put on my Ron Paul t-shirt. Here's a 40-something year old conservative religious voter, and he's sold on Ron Paul. Makes me think/hope that Ron might have a lot better shot at getting that segment of the vote than I initially thought.

It was cool. And it shows you the value of on-the-ground campaigning, and just hanging out with people as Ron did at this church.

Thanks for listening. :)

OptionsTrader
10-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Ron Paul is a class act.

hard@work
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Amazing story... the sunday school... just wow. That would make a very nice media piece.

RP4ME
10-05-2007, 05:19 PM
As I walked down the road today, I saw a cell phone sitting on the pavement. Being a decent and honest person, I looked through the contact list and called the entry listed as "Dad". Left a message on the voicemail explaining that I must have found his kid's phone, and provided my contact info. Later in the day the phone's owner called me, and I gave him my address so he could pick up the phone.

As I was waiting for him to show up, I decided to put my Ron Paul t-shirt on -- I do that sometimes in the hope that someone, somewhere, will see it and think "Ron Paul...huh...so he does have real supporters beyond the internet!".

Anyway, the guy pulled up to my driveway, and the first thing he said when he saw my shirt was, "Hey, Ron Paul!"

Me: "You've heard of him?"

Him: "Oh yeah! He came to our church last Sunday morning."

Me: "Wow, that's great! I was at a rally for Ron in Manchester Sunday morning, and I heard he was going to attend a local service. How was his speech?"

Him: "There was no speech. He actually joined us in our Sunday school class for the entire hour, and worshipped with us. We've had other presidential candidates come to our church before...Buchanan, McCain...but none actually sat down with us in Sunday school to study the Bible and worship. I was very impressed."

Me: "That's pretty neat."

Him: "Yeah...he's got my vote -- that's for sure."

Me: "Me too. Awesome!"

That was pretty much it. Now that I typed it out, it doesn't sound that interesting. But it really made my day to meet another Ron Paul supporter in New Hampshire, totally out of the blue. And the circumstances under which we met and got to talking about Paul were a bit uncanny. I almost didn't pick up that cellphone when I saw it (I thought it was broken). I almost didn't put on my Ron Paul t-shirt. Here's a 40-something year old conservative religious voter, and he's sold on Ron Paul. Makes me think/hope that Ron might have a lot better shot at getting that segment of the vote than I initially thought.

It was cool. And it shows you the value of on-the-ground campaigning, and just hanging out with people as Ron did at this church.

Thanks for listening. :)
GEnuine Genuine Genuine!!!! Thansk fo sharing

V4Vendetta
10-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, That really impresses me. What a Great man

Ron Paul People... the real deal!!

axiomata
10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
My weirdest incident was as I was walking down the street, a couple of people were talking to each other in French, and right as I passed them I distinctly heard "Ron Paul" in the middle of a sentence. I have no clue what the context was but it made me do a double take.

Later that day I saw one of the big REVOLoution banners hanging from the balcony of an apartment.

But that's got nothing on your story. Thanks for sharing.

asdf
10-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I convinced my mom to put a ron paul bumper sticker on her car and a few weeks later she was in the parking lot of a pharmacy and some old guy taps on her window and asks if she knows RP. Turns out he went to the same church as RP and knew him well. He kept saying that he was a good guy, etc. My mom said no but told him about his campaign and gave him a tri fold which I had printed out from his website. The guy said he didnt follow politics but was very excited and interested. I dont know if he even knew about the campaign or what not!:eek:

I live walking distance from where RP grew up. There are decent numbers of RP supporters here. Especially among young voters. I have found alot of RP supporters at my High School. When I go on the official site, somebody sitting near me will usually comment on how they are voting for Ron Paul!

kylejack
10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
That reminds me of the other story, when Ron Paul got constituents their medals a while back and presented the medals to them at a ceremony....and didn't say ONE WORD about the fact that he was running for President. All the veterans were really impressed that he didn't try to hype his campaign on their special day.

margomaps
10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
My weirdest incident was as I was walking down the street, a couple of people were talking to each other in French, and right as I passed them I distinctly heard "Ron Paul" in the middle of a sentence. I have no clue what the context was but it made me do a double take.

Later that day I saw one of the big REVOLoution banners hanging from the balcony of an apartment.

But that's got nothing on your story. Thanks for sharing.

Nah, your story was really good -- mine was just longwinded. :D

Seriously though, I think hearing "Ron Paul" in the midst of a foreign-language conversation is pretty cool. I've been seeing more and more interest in Ron Paul from Canadians and Europeans (and Scandenavians!) lately. I was initially very surprised that anyone outside our country would be aware of a "2nd tier" Republican. But I guess all that spamming of the internets has really paid off worldwide. :cool: