PDA

View Full Version : ronpaul2008.com domain no longer redirecting to CFL site, visitors now go to Sedo.com

qh4dotcom
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
The domain http://www.ronpaul2008.com has thousands of sites and pages linking to it...as of now January 28th anyone who clicks on those links goes to Sedo.com a site that acts as a broker for buying and selling domains...what a waste of valuable traffic.

The last time I typed www.ronpaul2008.com into my browser I was redirected to the CFL site

UPDATE: Now it's redirecting to RonPaul.com as of January 31st...anyway it's really nice to see that the RonPaul.com folks acquired the domain...I still remember the Ebay auction for RonPaul.com...the RonPaul.com folks paid over $25,000 for the RonPaul.com domain

rp08orbust
01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
The domain http://www.ronpaul2008.com has thousands of sites and pages linking to it...now anyone who clicks on those links goes to Sedo.com a site that acts as a broker for purchasing domains...what a waste of valuable traffic.

The last time I typed www.ronpaul2008.com into my browser I was redirected to the CFL site

I guess C4L had to make some cuts to afford the Ken Buck ad.

qh4dotcom
01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
I guess C4L had to make some cuts to afford the Ken Buck ad.

If this happened recently and CFL is trying to sell the www.ronpaul2008.com domain, here's another controversy in the making.

itshappening
01-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I guess the domain expired and someone has re-registered it? although it says it was registered in 2006

It is on the servers of Domcollect.com

Romulus
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
i noticed this the other day too and thought wtf?

RonPaulwillWin
01-29-2010, 12:53 AM
It just expired and they didn't bother re-registering it. Same thing happened to one of my domains a month ago....same company took over etc...

Reason
01-29-2010, 12:57 AM
/facepalm

it's not hard to set it to re-register and set it so you get a million notices before it completely expires....

qh4dotcom
01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
It just expired and they didn't bother re-registering it. Same thing happened to one of my domains a month ago....same company took over etc...

But it only costs $9 for a year...and they could have paid for up to 10 years...the Ron Paul folks couldn't have coughed up $9 per year for such a valuable domain? That domain has thousands of links pointing to it...that's thousands of folks who could be redirected to the CFL site every month.

No wonder the Paul staff is so incompetent...they also forgot about the Ron Paul Facebook page...it was dormant for 15 months after the presidential campaign was over.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
01-29-2010, 01:06 AM
But it only costs $9 for a year...and they could have paid for up to 10 years...the Ron Paul folks couldn't have coughed up $9 per year for such a valuable domain? That domain has thousands of links pointing to it...that's thousands of folks who could be redirected to the CFL site every month.

No wonder the Paul staff is so incompetent...they also forgot about the Ron Paul Facebook page...it was dormant for 15 months after the presidential campaign was over.

I think one big problem is we have "old" people running an old style organization. We need people in there that understand the Digital Age.

purplechoe
01-29-2010, 01:15 AM
I've been somewhat mum about this latest C4L debacle, but with really stupid stuff like this I have no faith in the leadership whatsoever. Even though I have donated money to them in the past, something just didn't sit right with me about Tate. He just seems like a very unimpressive individual every time I've seen him speak.

qh4dotcom
01-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Bump

itshappening
01-31-2010, 07:02 AM
they've been incompetent since 2007 and before then. it's a real shame and part of the reason I dont want RP to run in 2012, the last thing we need is another incompetent campaign

Knightskye
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
No, it goes to http://www.RonPaul.com

I just tried it three times. Forwards to RonPaul.com.

newbitech
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
redirects to ronpaul.com

should probably fix the title so we don't have a bunch of people freaking out over nothing.

qh4dotcom
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
No, it goes to http://www.RonPaul.com

I just tried it three times. Forwards to RonPaul.com.

At the time of the OP, Jan. 28 it was redirecting to a domain broker...last year it was redirecting to the CFL site...anyway it's really nice to see that the RonPaul.com folks acquired the domain...I still remember the Ebay auction for RonPaul.com...the RonPaul.com folks paid over $25,000 for the RonPaul.com domain

MsDoodahs
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Based on this information, I think the title should remain as is.

qh4dotcom
01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
redirects to ronpaul.com

should probably fix the title so we don't have a bunch of people freaking out over nothing.

Couldn't fix the title but updated the first post.

newbitech
01-31-2010, 11:50 AM
well its not uncommon to see place holder domains while the DNS propagates.

Someone had enough awareness of the potential fallout from the Buck ad fuck up to disassociate Ron Paul's name from C4L.

So they not only redirected the ronpaul2008 traffic, they also changed nameservers which probably means they changed hosting providers as well.

Sedo.com probably showed up because the site was moved and the DNS hadn't resolved to the new host.

anyways, it's not like some one let the domain go.. there is no evidence to that claim.

newbitech
01-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Couldn't fix the title but updated the first post.

good catch tho. Sedo.com look like a domain auctioneer as well. Thanks for updating.

qh4dotcom
01-31-2010, 11:58 AM
well its not uncommon to see place holder domains while the DNS propagates.

Someone had enough awareness of the potential fallout from the Buck ad fuck up to disassociate Ron Paul's name from C4L.

So they not only redirected the ronpaul2008 traffic, they also changed nameservers which probably means they changed hosting providers as well.

Sedo.com probably showed up because the site was moved and the DNS hadn't resolved to the new host.

anyways, it's not like some one let the domain go.. there is no evidence to that claim.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ZyYlPnV69vQJ:people.ronpaul2008.com/endorsements/2007/12/27/steve-m-boscarino/+site:ronpaul2008.com+sedo&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's the proof that someone did let the domain go...Google's cache as of Nov.22, 2009...I hope you agree that someone not associated with RP was putting pay per click ads/sponsored listings in the ronpaul2008.com domain

Jordan
01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Sedo is a domain auction company that sells many high priced/high trafficked domains. It also creates PPC pages for use by webmasters as landing pages (see http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ZyYlPnV69vQJ:people.ronpaul2008.com/endorsements/2007/12/27/steve-m-boscarino/+site:ronpaul2008.com+sedo&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) to generate an income until the site is uploaded, or a permanent location has been found.

According to the WHOIS history, the domain remains in under the same ownership as it has since 2006:

Domain ID:
Domain Name: ronpaul2008.com
Created On: 22-Nov-2006 00:00:00
Expiration Date: 22-Nov-2011 00:00:00

Nothing to see here. The DNS is routed to ns1.fabulous.com and ns2.fabulous.com which are nameservers for domain registrar Fabulous.com.

The name hasn't been sold, but someone has swapped the DNS. My guess is that the domain was going to expire, at which point CFL re-registered it in the 30 day grace period. Usually, registrars point the domain to a landing page during the 30 day grace to generate an income for themselves until the previous owner claims it again. This is an industry standard practice.

Also, the domain could've been moved from one registrar to another. The whois indicates only one registrar, though.

tl;dr? CFL still owns the domain.

JoshLowry
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Sedo is a domain auction company that sells many high priced/high trafficked domains. It also creates PPC pages for use by webmasters as landing pages (see http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ZyYlPnV69vQJ (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ZyYlPnV69vQJ:people.ronpaul2008.com/endorsements/2007/12/27/steve-m-boscarino/+site:ronpaul2008.com+sedo&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us):people.ronpaul2008.com/endorsements/2007/12/27/steve-m-boscarino/+site:ronpaul2008.com+sedo&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) to generate an income until the site is uploaded, or a permanent location has been found.

According to the WHOIS history, the domain remains in under the same ownership as it has since 2006:

Domain ID:
Domain Name: ronpaul2008.com
Created On: 22-Nov-2006 00:00:00
Expiration Date: 22-Nov-2011 00:00:00

Nothing to see here. The DNS is routed to ns1.fabulous.com and ns2.fabulous.com which are nameservers for domain registrar Fabulous.com.

The name hasn't been sold, but someone has swapped the DNS. My guess is that the domain was going to expire, at which point CFL re-registered it in the 30 day grace period. Usually, registrars point the domain to a landing page during the 30 day grace to generate an income for themselves until the previous owner claims it again. This is an industry standard practice.

Also, the domain could've been moved from one registrar to another. The whois indicates only one registrar, though.

tl;dr? CFL still owns the domain.

It was sold.

The supporters behind RonPaul.com obviously bought it.

Jordan
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
It was sold.

Actually, looks like they didn't even buy it. Another WHOIS says this:

Registrar History: 1 registrar with 1 drop.

So CFL let it drop, and RonPaul.com probably had a domain service grab it a few minutes after it officially expired. Damn. Just a few minutes ago I was still being routed to the Sedo parking. Now its directed to RonPaul.com

qh4dotcom
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
It was sold.

It's really nice to see that the RonPaul.com folks (who are independent grassroots supporters not affiliated with the Ron Paul campaign) acquired the domain...what a shame it would have been if the domain had fallen into the hands of a Ron Paul basher...I still remember the Ebay auction for RonPaul.com...the RonPaul.com folks paid over $25,000 for the RonPaul.com domain

JoshLowry
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
It's really nice to see that the RonPaul.com folks (who are independent grassroots supporters not affiliated with the Ron Paul campaign) acquired the domain...what a shame it would have been if the domain had fallen into the hands of a Ron Paul basher...I still remember the Ebay auction for RonPaul.com...the RonPaul.com folks paid over $25,000 for the RonPaul.com domain

I honestly don't even know who they are. That's some serious cash for a domain name.