PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Senate Clears Way to Confirm Ben S. Bernanke in New Term at Fed

bobbyw24
01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
U.S. Senate Clears Way to Confirm Ben S. Bernanke in New Term at Fed

The Senate indicated that it would confirm Ben S. Bernanke for a second
term as chairman of the Federal Reserve, taking the key procedural step
of voting 77 to 23 to end debate, in what is known as a cloture vote. A
second, formal vote to confirm Mr. Bernanke, whose leadership of the Fed
during the financial crisis has come under criticism, could also take
place on Thursday. Mr. Bernanke's current four-year term expires on
Sunday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/business/economy/29fed.html?hp

klamath
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
we tried.

Vessol
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
*pops a cork in a bottle of shaken up champagne as it pops out, instead of spraying, grape juice slowly drips out*

Well..damn.

jmdrake
01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
:( Oh well. I'm still glad I contacted both my senators.

Johnnybags
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
ASAP. Interest rates will be zero for years and the dollar will lose a ton of value in a few short years. The Senate needs an entire new makeup.

1000-points-of-fright
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Big deal. If we got a new Fed chairman what would change? We're not getting rid of the Fed anytime soon.

Better to have a damaged and embattled Bernanke which will hopefully discredit the idea of having a Fed even more.

catdd
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Well I'm sure we cost them millions of dollars in payoffs to keep him in.

Badger Paul
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
They use populism to oppose health care then hold it in contempt when when it comes to affecting real change in the country.

AuH2O
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
U.S. Senate Clears Way to Confirm Ben S. Bernanke in New Term at Fed

The Senate indicated that it would confirm Ben S. Bernanke for a second
term as chairman of the Federal Reserve, taking the key procedural step
of voting 77 to 23 to end debate, in what is known as a cloture vote. A
second, formal vote to confirm Mr. Bernanke, whose leadership of the Fed
during the financial crisis has come under criticism, could also take
place on Thursday. Mr. Bernanke's current four-year term expires on
Sunday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/business/economy/29fed.html?hp

FYI, they did confirm as well.

Immortal Technique
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Bernanke Confirmed By Senate 70 - 30

YouTube - Bernanke Confirmed By Senate 70 - 30 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRNUGZQRuqk)

akforme
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Big deal. If we got a new Fed chairman what would change? We're not getting rid of the Fed anytime soon.

Better to have a damaged and embattled Bernanke which will hopefully discredit the idea of having a Fed even more.

That's my thinking, maybe this will help awake the masses

Like I read some place else:
At the end of the day if you have a band of thieves roaming the neighborhood does it really matter who the leader is.

catdd
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Anyone have a list of the Senators that voted for him?

LittleLightShining
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/senate-roll-vote-on-286083.html

Voting no were 11 Democrats, 18 Republicans and 1 independent.

Akaka, Hawaii; Baucus, Mont.; Bayh, Ind.; Bennet, Colo.; Bingaman, N.M.; Brown, Ohio; Burris, Ill.; Byrd, W.V.; Cardin, Md.; Carper, Del.; Casey, Pa.; Conrad, N.D.; Dodd, Conn.; Durbin, Ill.; Feinstein, Calif.; Gillibrand, N.Y.; Hagan, N.C.; Inouye, Hawaii; Johnson, S.D.; Kerry, Mass.; Kirk, Mass.; Klobuchar, Minn.; Kohl, Wis.; Landrieu, La.; Lautenberg, N.J.; Leahy, Vt.; Levin, Mich.; Lincoln,Ark.; McCaskill, Mo.; Menendez, N.J.; Mikulski, Md.; Murray, Wash.; Nelson, Fla.; Nelson, Neb.; Pryor, Ark.; Reed, R.I.; Reid, Nev.; Rockefeller, W.V.; Schumer, N.Y.; Shaheen, N.H.; Stabenow, Mich.; Tester, Mont.; Udall, Colo.; Udall, N.M.; Warner, Va.; Webb, Va.; Wyden, Ore.

Begich, Alaska; Boxer, Calif.; Cantwell, Wash.; Dorgan, N.D.; Feingold, Wis.; Franken, Minn.; Harkin, Iowa; Kaufman, Del.; Merkley, Ore.; Specter, Pa.; Whitehouse, R.I.

Alexander, Tenn.; Barrasso, Wyo.; Bennett, Utah; Bond, Mo.; Burr, N.C.; Chambliss, Ga.; Coburn, Okla.; Cochran, Miss.; Collins, Maine; Corker, Tenn.; Enzi, Wyo.; Graham, S.C.; Gregg, N.H.; Hatch, Utah; Isakson, Ga.; Johanns, Neb.; Kyl, Ariz.; Lugar, Ind.; McConnell, Ky.; Murkowski, Alaska; Snowe, Maine; Voinovich, Ohio.

Brownback, Kan.; Bunning, Ky.; Cornyn, Texas; Crapo, Idaho; DeMint, S.C.; Ensign, Nev.; Grassley, Iowa; Hutchison, Texas; Inhofe, Okla.; LeMieux, Fla.; McCain, Ariz.; Risch, Idaho; Roberts, Kan.; Sessions, Ala.; Shelby, Ala.; Thune, S.D.; Vitter, La.; Wicker, Miss.

Lieberman, Conn.

Sanders, Vt.

At least we made our point with Leahy and Sanders. I'm really surprised Leahy still voted no.

AuH2O
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/senate-roll-vote-on-286083.html

At least we made our point with Leahy and Sanders. I'm really surprised Leahy still voted no.

Um, he didn't really. The CLOTURE vote, which is the real vote, was 77-23, and Leahy voted for.

Basically he gave himself political cover by voting for Bernanke before voting against him.

catdd
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Corker and Alexander from Tn.

someperson
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM

+1 :)

LittleLightShining
01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Um, he didn't really. The CLOTURE vote, which is the real vote, was 77-23, and Leahy voted for.

Basically he gave himself political cover by voting for Bernanke before voting against him.

Ohhhhh... so that's what he did. I see now. Thanks for making my thought processes work correctly again. I thought Leahy broke them for a minute ;)

Aratus
01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
if we have 12% to 15% unemployment in a years time, didst potus barack obama keep
a dude in the job that he's going to point to, before firing? why keep him on, otherwise?