PDA

View Full Version : I got Ron Paul's Name out There!!!!!

Erazmus
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Ok, so I’m on my way to work this morning (I have an hour commute), and I think to myself, “I wonder what the pundits are saying about last night’s CNN GOP debate?” I figured someone had to be talking about it. I checked all the FM stations, nadda. Then I change to the AM and finally hear someone… The show is the Mike Gallagher show. Now I’ve never heard of this guy before in my life, but he was talking about the debates, so I thought I would listen for a bit. It turns out, that it’s not Mike Gallagher talking, it’s a sit in for him, a guy named Mike Sento (spelling?). I thought it was Rush at first.

So he starts talking about how he’s a John McCain fan, but John McCain (in his opinion) was the biggest disappointment in the debates. Then he says no one gave an alternate strategy to the Iraq war. I was like, “What?” He talked about most of the candidates, but not Paul. He also said no one stood out. I said, “That’s it.” I called in. Oddly enough, I got right on the air. No busy signal. One call, straight on the air. That has to tell you how many listeners they have, LOL. Now, I don’t remember the Q and A perfectly, so I’m going to write everything I can remember the best I can. It just happened, so I remember the major points of the call. If anyone heard it, please let me know if I forget anything, my caller name was Travis.

He said, “You are a Ron Paul supporter?”

I reply, “Ron Paul all the way.”

So he asks me, “What do you like about Ron Paul?”

I reply, “He’s got a good message, he’s conservative and he wants to get us out of the quagmire in Iraq….

Then he interrupted me, “I liked (some candidate a long time ago), that had a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Do you think Ron Paul can win?

I said, “Yes. He has a good following on the internet. He lead in all the network POLLs, MSNBC, Fox, and as of last night before I went to bed, CNN. I don’t know where it stands now because I’m on my way to work.”

He then went to the talking point, “You call the Iraq war a quagmire. What do you think this says to the troops who are risking their lives for this country? What do you think that says to them?”

I said, “That’s a good point. I think that they are doing their jobs. They were told to go fight a war, and that is exactly what they are doing. They are doing the best job they can. The policy is the problem. When you have the wrong diagnosis, you don’t maintain the same treatment.”

He responds, “So what do you think we should do? We should pull out all the troops tomorrow? How do you think we should do that?”

I said, “I’m not a military strategist.”

He says, “You sound like one, are you a military strategist?”

I said, “No, I am a concerned citizen. One hundred troops die a month and over 1000 a year. We borrow 3 billion a month from China to finance this war…”

He interrupts again, “I’ve heard this song and dance before, good bye.”

And that’s pretty much it. Now, I will say that he didn’t interrupt me very much. He let me say my peace, and I am thankful for that. But it seemed like he couldn’t refute any of my factual data. He went straight to the talking points. I feel very good about the call. My responses were firm, audible, to the point, factual, and quick. A couple people I know thought he was quiet because he didn’t know how to respond; otherwise he may have interrupted more. I don’t know about that, but I’m glad I was able to finish my thoughts, for the most part. I am thankful they also let me on the air when I mentioned I was for Ron Paul. When he realized he was losing the argument though, I think that’s when he decided to break from the conversation. I knew the material, I made established points, and I wasn’t going to back down.

Here is the really interesting thing. This Mike Sento guy, before I called he talked about the debates for ten to fifteen minutes. He said he hadn’t heard the listener’s opinions on the Democrat or the GOP debates. He wanted caller feedback. So I call and get through and mention the war and Ron Paul. For the next 45 minutes after he hung up. He didn’t talk about the debates or Ron Paul. He changed topics to immigration. For the next 45 minutes, until I got to work, all he talked about was immigration. I’ve been asking myself, why? I think it’s because he wanted our conversation to die before going back. Radio stations know commuters are the bulk of the morning radio listeners. They also know the average listening time of commuters is about an hour. I think, he changed topics to immigration because that’s the ONLY topic that republicans have a consensus on, and it’s a major issue.

But above all else, I GOT RON’S NAME OUT THERE!!! Hopefully there were more than five listeners. Now, like I’ve said, I’ve never heard of this guy. But I’m assuming he’s syndicated. The call screener asked me not to say, “Good morning.” So I said, “Hello.”

I feel REALLY good about myself. I NEVER call in radio shows or anything. But I am so compelled by Ron Paul’s message, I couldn’t allow the censorship any longer. I mentioned his view on Iraq, that he is conservative, and the fact that he was winning the network POLLS, all positives. My responses were clear, to the point, firm, and not fading. I OWNED him, and he had no choice but to hang up.

This is a good day. RON PAUL 2008!!!

BuddyRey
06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
NICE job dodging that good ol' reliable neocon chestnut "but don't you support the troops?"

joenaab
06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
You did a great job, man, thanks!!

Don't forget, when asked "What do you think this says to the troops who are risking their lives for this country?", respond, "It gives them hope that they will come home alive. That they don't have to kill anymore for the conquest of oil in an immoral war."

qednick
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice job! Pity we can't listen to it.

When it comes to the "but you don't support the troops" bullshit - all anyone has to say is "I support the troops, I just don't support the war".

I live in a military town. I don't even think I know anyone that isn't from a military family or background. I've yet to talk to one person who thinks this Iraq war thingy was justified.

At the end of the day, the troops are just doing what they're told. I support the troops and will always support the troops. I just don't support some of the brainless politicians that give them their orders.

slantedview
06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow, very nice. Good work.

1k9
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Good job.

Jeff556
06-06-2007, 10:31 AM
BTW its 3 billion dollars a day not a month lol

Erazmus
06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
BTW its 3 billion dollars a day not a month lol

hehehe, I wasn't sure on that, so I used a conservative estimate. I think the point was made though. We're borrowing money from another country to finance this war.

Yes, a blunder on my part.

Bryan
06-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Super job! You nailed that call, maybe it sounds corny but really, as a fellow devotee, I'm proud of you. I think your home run was when you said "I'm not a military strategist." -- it's always great to admit to areas you aren't strong in, it shows you are honest and not just spewing garbage- it also keeps you out of traps. If you bit of this trap you could have been discredited- you didn't, so he had no neo-con talking points to move forward on.

That show in syndicated, I listen in Houston some on the commute. Gallagher loves the neo-cons. It would be great if we could get an audio copy of this.

This is what we need to keep doing to win!

RonPaul4President
06-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Thank you. You tried your best. You cannot reason with anyone that is determined to be unreasonable. My advice is to remember who these fools are and remind them what they said and did before Ron Paul became President.

Erazmus
06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys. I really feel good for doing this. I've never felt this way about candidate or the message of said candidate. I think Ron Paul makes us all better Americans. I'm glad I called in!

enan
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Don't forget, when asked "What do you think this says to the troops who are risking their lives for this country?", respond, "It gives them hope that they will come home alive. That they don't have to kill anymore for the conquest of oil in an immoral war."

Well put.

Good job, Erazmus. Debating with a neocon is tough simply because they're so thickheaded.

zMtLlC
06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Very nice job, but I would have added that forcing our troops to go and die in unjustified wars could not be defined as supporting them.

Erazmus
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Very nice job, but I would have added that forcing our troops to go and die in unjustified wars could not be defined as supporting them.

All very good points by everyone. The problem is, I had no idea where the conversation was going to go. These radio hosts seem to hone in on one particular topic and interject. I would imagine it's the one topic they think they can nail someone on. It was almost like a debate. I didn't know how much time I would have to complete any thoughts on something. It was fast paced, and I got out as much information as I could. Like I said, I didn't even think I would get through like I did. I'm just glad I was able to get on and voice my support for the good doctor!

maggiebott
06-14-2007, 02:24 PM
You did a brilliant job and stood your ground.

I called the Hannity show a few weeks ago and there were so many Paul supporters jamming the lines that the girl asked for my number and could they put me on Monday. I said, sure and they called back asking me what exactly I had to say. I played it dumb or otherwise you never get thru.

I'm the second call, he says what's on your mind Maggie. He was just spouting off about how he wanted to debate Leo DiCaprio, so I said hey Sean I would love to see you in a debate with Ron Paul....bam goes the connection but I felt I did my part. :D

Elwar
06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
On the "don't you care about the troops question"...

I spent a year in Iraq as a contractor with up to date intel on much of what was happening over there. My first instinct when I got out there was...we do not belong in this part of the world. We don't, I don't know how to describe it but we do not belong there.

Being in Iraq sucked...bad. I was a lot better off than the soldiers, my facilities were better than the soldiers and I got paid probably 10 times what most soldiers were making. It still sucked, no matter how much they paid me. Being over there is horrible and I lost a bit of myself being out there.

Now...when I was out there, I was very disheartened by what I saw on TV about what was going on in Iraq, about the focus on all the bad things going on there. They had reporters all in hotels in the middle of Baghdad making phone calls to get their updates to write their stories. Most of the information they garnered were the number of kills. But even harder was just watching TV and watching some morning show where some woman is making a basket out of ribbons or other meaningless stuff. All I could think about was how people were over here in hell and that the people of the US had pretty much forgotten about Iraq. Like it's just a little sidebar thing going on that they took care of when they put a yellow ribbon thing on their car.

The soldiers want to win the war, they want to feel like they made a difference and were there for a reason. But more than that, I think most of them want to get out of there. Sure they want to do their duty and serve their country, but when it comes down to it, every man and woman out there knew exactly the amount of days they had left when it got down to around 50 days or so. "34 and a wakeup" or "12 and a wakeup". They wanted out.

Would the soldiers be upset if we left and didn't end up winning in Iraq? Yes, I believe part of them would feel dissapointment. They'd feel that the American people voted them out of finishing their job (in my humble opinion). But they'd be out of there, back here where they belong. Enjoying the freedom of America. And if that freedom comes from a Ron Paul presidency, then they will be rejoicing in a freedom not known in their lifetimes. The Middle East will be hell like it always has been and always will be...whether we're there or not. But we don't belong out there.

sunny
06-14-2007, 05:00 PM
good for you erazmus! - you picked up the phone and called! - don't worrry about getting the same old neocon drivel! he can't defend what he's saying and he knows it!
dr. paul is the ONLY one making sense and THEY all know it although there's lots of those neocons who really believe the bs they spew! THEY are infected! THEY are the virus! (someone at FOX said that about people like us).

thank the lord i don't have cable.....i don't ever want it! when i hear or watch these guys at someone's house or on youtube it blows my mind.......people listen to that crap!

i know what you mean about calling in because you feel compelled to do so because of dr. paul's message.........i did it on dennis miller's show (SNL) (that's all i know about him) for the same reason cuz it was posted that dr. paul was to be on......i waited one hour+ to speak and when i did i let know how i felt about the interview with dr. paul......he didn't like it but tough titties! he got it!

so bravo for you erazmus for doing it~ now you can do it again~ there's always someone out there listening!

Bob Cochran
06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
You're one of my heroes now, sounds like you did an excellent job!

Hey even $3B per month would be ridiculous....but I believe it IS $3B per day. Dang.

CurtisLow
06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9904/applauselq8.gif
Congrats!
I find myself too being more open with people
and pushing RP's message too. It's very critical that we all do.
I never would just walk up to someone before and say: Hey, have
you every heard of Ron Paul? But now I'm doing it.
Everyone I have meant so far has not heard of RP.
I give them a flyer with all RP's information on it and just fill them in
of what Ron Paul stands for and tell them to go to his web site to see
his videos and learn about him.

lonestarguy
06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Dammit Erazmus, You brought a tear to my eye and goose bumps when I read your story. Thank you so much for your example!

"We have only begun to fight."

Cheers, never relent, never!

omgitsfletch
11-30-2007, 12:07 AM
If you don't mind, I'll share my radio story from late October, right before the money bomb.

I live in Orlando, and between classes while grabbing some lunch, flipped on the Shannon Burke show, a popular conservative on 104.1 in this area. They were discussing the debate, and the different candidates, and a Ron Paul supporter had called in to defend the beating they were giving him, but did a really poor job. So I call in, and wait on the line for a few minutes, and finally get on. Paraphrased from about a month ago, it went something like this:

SB: "You're on the Shannon Burke show"
Me: "Hey Shannon, I wanted to add a few comments about Ron Paul to what the previous caller just said. Firstly, you guys talk about electability. Did you know that polls show 70% of the American people want us out of Iraq? How can you expect any Republican candidate to win in November on a pro-war stance? The bottom line is if you watched the debate, you should have seen the fear every candidate has of Hillary. Ron brings together people from every political party, Democrats, Independents, and Republicans, and we are going to need a candidate like that to win in 2008. Polls are also showing that he is one of the best candidates to compete against her in the general election.

And you talk about viability. Did you see the post-debate poll that Ron handily won? He leads every straw poll, every online poll, and he raised over 5 million in the quarter that ended in September. The GOP leader, Guiliani, raised 10 million, so it's clear he's one of the big boys."

He brought up some small fact, which I calmly rebuked, and then finally ended it.

SB: "Well that's all well and good, but the bottom line is you're wrong." ==CLICK== before I could respond.

It's all well and good though. I kept my cool, threw in lots of facts and numbers on the spot that back up my case, and totally crushed the crazy supporter image they had just spent 15 minutes trying to portray. He had no recourse, no response, but to hang up the phone and talk about something else. Ron Paul supporters 1, neocon warmongerers 0.

lloydian
11-30-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks to both erazmus and omgitsfletch for their efforts and for sharing their stories. I enjoyed both.

yaz
11-30-2007, 04:22 AM
I called a Christian radio station and recorded it http://youtube.com/user/yazdawg

I couldn't get my points out from all the interruptions and couldn't get Ron Paul's name out; I did get a lot of good points out though.

the same thing happened to me, i called once and got through. i was put on hold for about 15 minutes though.

user
11-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Nice work

1town
11-30-2007, 06:04 AM
On the troops question, you should have reminded him that the troops agree with you and Ron Paul, according to donation reports.

Anywho, good job, can't have these radio-heads spew lies uninterrupted =)