PDA

View Full Version : RFID Chip expert Dr. Katherine Albrecht talks about Startpage's New Proxy Service!

Liberty_Tree
01-27-2010, 02:34 AM
YouTube - Startpage's New Proxy Service! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3SCbI5KFM)

Vessol
01-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Proxys are nice and all, but by most accounts, most are flimsy at best and can be tracked if their code is sloppy. I'm no expert however, just giving my cynicism.

BuddyRey
01-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Score one for the personal privacy movement!!!

BuddyRey
01-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Maybe the next phase should be creating a more privacy-minded alternative to social networking websites, since I just found out how evil Facebook is. :D

UK4Paul
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.startpage.com is awesome. It's my default browser.

nayjevin
01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Add Startpage to your Browser

You can now easily add Startpage to your list of Google Chrome search engines.

http://us2.startpage.com/eng/download-startpage-plugin.html

coyote_sprit
01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe the next phase should be creating a more privacy-minded alternative to social networking websites, since I just found out how evil Facebook is. :D

Learn about the *chans.

IPSecure
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Secure Version...
https://www.startpage.com/

DamianTV
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Add Startpage to your Browser

You can now easily add Startpage to your list of Google Chrome search engines. http://us2.startpage.com/eng/download-startpage-plugin.html

Using Google's Chrome Browser completely defeats the purpose of trying to protect your privacy as ALL of your web browsing information is sent back to Google, whether you are on any of googles websites or if the site you visit has advertising by google, or not. It ALL gets sent back to google.

Boycott Chrome!

Vessol
01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Using Google's Chrome Browser completely defeats the purpose of trying to protect your privacy as ALL of your web browsing information is sent back to Google, whether you are on any of googles websites or if the site you visit has advertising by google, or not. It ALL gets sent back to google.

Boycott Chrome!

I was about to say..lmao.

What's even more sickening is their new cloud-computing OS that your HD is on their servers. Yeah, seriously.

Again I reiterate. Proxies are not 100% secure. Nothing really is. If they really want to break your privacy and track your online activities, they will sadly be able to do it with tons of various methods.

DamianTV
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm all about the tech. Whatcha got and I'll find a way to block it!

/agree 100% about this cloud computing garbage. Its a step backwards! Save games for single player games are now to be stored "in the cloud"? How about your preferences? Also "in the cloud"! W... T... F...!!!!1!

Dieseler
01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Just another data mine like all of the rest.

The important thing you need to understand is that before you reach any proxy service period, all your base belongs to the ISP.
Inbound and outbound.
Every connection is logged whether it be to a proxy, a secure site or any other site and if the PTB want your connection history in order to ID you or investigate you they will have it with as little as a phone call.
If that info ends in a dead trail to a proxy(not likely) they will order that site or proxy to give up what connection info they have or begin monitoring and then giving it up as they do not give a shit about you either.
You are not anonymous aside from your peers and believing anything other than that or taking some false sense of security due to what some internet site says is naive.

nayjevin
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Boycott Chrome!

Not lost on me. I do use startpage as my search engine, however, and found it quite handy to be able to use it as the default one in my browser, which is chrome. Why? Because I have zero illusion I will ever be able to control my privacy online.

nayjevin
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Boycott Chrome!

Actually, you got me thinking. I may be one good post away from doing just that.

but,

- does using it profit Google? I suppose I help them brag about market share, albeit just a tiny bit.
- am I worried about my privacy? I don't do anything weird or illegal. I suppose anything I do could someday be considered a terrorist threat lol.
- should I sacrifice the ease of use? (i find chrome far superior to anything i've ever used)

push me over the edge, DamianTV. I'm low hanging fruit.

DamianTV
01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Doesnt matter if you do anything weird or illegal, give them long enough and they will make something that you do normally illegal.

And yeah, google profits tremendously. Remember teh whole push for Toolbars? Yahoo toolbar, google toolbar, etc? They all phone home constantly to report what youre looking at, which they can sell.

Hmm, a bit of a nudge over the edge? Well this might be slight overkill, but...

http://www.scroogle.org/doctorow.html

Greg landed at San Francisco International Airport at 8 p.m., but by the time he'd made it to the front of the customs line, it was after midnight. He'd emerged from first class, brown as a nut, unshaven, and loose-limbed after a month on the beach in Cabo (scuba diving three days a week, seducing French college girls the rest of the time). When he'd left the city a month before, he'd been a stoop-shouldered, potbellied wreck. Now he was a bronze god, drawing admiring glances from the stews at the front of the cabin.

Four hours later in the customs line, he'd slid from god back to man. His slight buzz had worn off, sweat ran down the crack of his ass, and his shoulders and neck were so tense his upper back felt like a tennis racket. The batteries on his iPod had long since died, leaving him with nothing to do except eavesdrop on the middle-age couple ahead of him.

"The marvels of modern technology," said the woman, shrugging at a nearby sign: Immigration — Powered by Google.

"I thought that didn't start until next month?" The man was alternately wearing and holding a large sombrero.

Googling at the border. Christ. Greg had vested out of Google six months before, cashing in his options and "taking some me time" — which turned out to be less rewarding than he'd expected. What he mostly did over the five months that followed was fix his friends' PCs, watch daytime TV, and gain 10 pounds, which he blamed on being at home instead of in the Googleplex, with its well-appointed 24-hour gym.

He should have seen it coming, of course. The U.S. government had lavished $15 billion on a program to fingerprint and photograph visitors at the border, and hadn't caught a single terrorist. Clearly, the public sector was not equipped to Do Search Right.

The DHS officer had bags under his eyes and squinted at his screen, prodding at his keyboard with sausage fingers. No wonder it was taking four hours to get out of the god damned airport.

"Evening," Greg said, handing the man his sweaty passport. The officer grunted and swiped it, then stared at his screen, tapping. A lot. He had a little bit of dried food at the corner of his mouth and his tongue crept out and licked at it.

"Want to tell me about June 1998?"

Greg looked up from his Departures. "I'm sorry?"

"You posted a message to alt.burningman on June 17, 1998, about your plan to attend a festival. You asked, 'Are shrooms really such a bad idea?'"

The interrogator in the secondary screening room was an older man, so skinny he looked like he'd been carved out of wood. His questions went a lot deeper than shrooms.

"Tell me about your hobbies. Are you into model rocketry?"

"What?"

"Model rocketry."

"No," Greg said, "No, I'm not." He sensed where this was going.

The man made a note, did some clicking. "You see, I ask because I see a heavy spike in ads for rocketry supplies showing up alongside your search results and Google mail."

Greg felt a spasm in his guts. "You're looking at my searches and e-mail?" He hadn't touched a keyboard in a month, but he knew what he put into that search bar was likely more revealing than what he told his shrink.

"Sir, calm down, please. No, I'm not looking at your searches," the man said in a mocking whine. "That would be unconstitutional. We see only the ads that show up when you read your mail and do your searching. I have a brochure explaining it. I'll give it to you when we're through here."

"But the ads don't mean anything," Greg sputtered. "I get ads for Ann Coulter ring tones whenever I get e-mail from my friend in Coulter, Iowa!"

The man nodded. "I understand, sir. And that's just why I'm here talking to you. Why do you suppose model rocket ads show up so frequently?"

Greg racked his brain. "Okay, just do this. Search for 'coffee fanatics.'" He'd been very active in the group, helping them build out the site for their coffee-of-the-month subscription service. The blend they were going to launch with was called Jet Fuel. "Jet Fuel" and "Launch" — that would probably make Google barf up some model rocket ads.

They were in the home stretch when the carved man found the Halloween photos. They were buried three screens deep in the search results for "Greg Lupinski."

"It was a Gulf War-themed party," he said. "In the Castro."

"And you're dressed as...?"

"A suicide bomber," he replied sheepishly. Just saying the words made him wince.

"Come with me, Mr. Lupinski," the man said.

(story continues on link)

Can you imagine this really happening? TO YOU?

"Give me six lines written by the most honorable of men, and I
will find an excuse in them to hang him." —Cardinal Richelieu

"We don't know enough about you." —Google CEO Eric Schmidt

YouTube - Shadow Government Part 5 of 9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1iFQ96l94)

YouTube - Aaron Russo - America Freedom To Fascism - Pizza Order (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OhlQGaUduw)

nayjevin
02-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Hmm, a bit of a nudge over the edge? Well this might be slight overkill, but...

;) Thanks!

Elwar
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting. I actually wrote up some code to do exactly what this site does. You'd put in a website and it would go grab all of the HTML and display it for you. I even had it so that if you clicked on a link it would act as though you put in that website.

The point of it was that I had a bar up at the top where you could rate the page (5 stars) and on the bottom you could leave a comment.

Like you could go to a CNN story that doesn't allow comments and call them out on their BS.

I never got it fully running though. I wasn't skilled in creating user accounts and the HTML conversion was a lot more difficult the more advanced the website was...it also created a vulnerability on my server to evil web pages loading bad stuff.

Plus a web page can always just block the IPs of the website so you have to go to their site directly.

nayjevin
02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Interesting. I actually wrote up some code to do exactly what this site does. You'd put in a website and it would go grab all of the HTML and display it for you. I even had it so that if you clicked on a link it would act as though you put in that website.

The point of it was that I had a bar up at the top where you could rate the page (5 stars) and on the bottom you could leave a comment.

Like you could go to a CNN story that doesn't allow comments and call them out on their BS.

I never got it fully running though. I wasn't skilled in creating user accounts and the HTML conversion was a lot more difficult the more advanced the website was...it also created a vulnerability on my server to evil web pages loading bad stuff.

Plus a web page can always just block the IPs of the website so you have to go to their site directly.

Good ideas. I wonder if a custom browser, or one based off of an open source one, could implement startpage's technology with privacy issues in mind.

LibForestPaul
02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
The important thing you need to understand is that before you reach any proxy service period, all your base belongs to the ISP.
Inbound and outbound.-https
they will order that site or proxy to give up what connection info they have -https
or begin monitoring - outside US?
P.S. tor and distributed proxies?

EndDaFed
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Just another data mine like all of the rest.

Inbound and outbound.

That is what SSL is for.

nayjevin
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Microsoft calls for internet driver's license:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=230020