PDA

View Full Version : Who can tell me what I did right?

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
This was about 30 minutes ago.

*pulled over*

*dome light on [the passenger compartment is empty save the jumper cables and the first aid kit, and my book bag], hands on wheel*

*knock on glass*

*lowered window 1/4*

Officer: "License, registration, and proof of insurance."

*comply*

*he goes back to his cruiser, runs my info, my record is spotless*

Officer: "You know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "No."

Officer: "You didn't signal at least 100 yards before the intersection. You got to the intersection and then signaled. You know that you're not supposed to do that, don't you?"

*trying not to look at the officer like he's an idiot for stopping me only for that*

*thinking of how to answer*

Officer: "Well, you know that's illegal, right?"

Me: "I have no answer."

*officer gets frustrated*

Officer: "Where you coming from?"

Me: "The university."

Officer: "What were you doing there?"

Me: "Late class."

Officer: "You been drinking?"

Me: "Nope."

*officer more frustrated i'm giving him nothing to further his investigation on*

*points at my license*

Officer: "This still your present address?"

Me: "Yep."

Officer: "I'm going to let you go with a warning..."

You're god-damned right you will. :D

jbrace
01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
You didn't shout Ron Paul mother f*cker as he walked away!! Other than that, nice!

purplechoe
01-27-2010, 01:04 AM

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1007/1429795189_627795b1e4.jpg?v=0

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
You didn't shout Ron Paul mother f*cker as he walked away!! Other than that, nice!

Damn. I'll have to remember that for next time. :D

purplechoe
01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Damn. I'll have to remember that for next time. :D

Yeah, and don't forget to remind him that NWO is going down!!!! Motherf$$%r!!!

;)

Pauls' Revere
01-27-2010, 01:09 AM
You admitted no fault with "I have no answer" remember anything you say can and will be used against you. You complied with the minimum information needed...wish I could have been that cool headed in my younger days.

But 100 yards!?! or is it 100 feet? dam 100 yards is a long way.

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 01:14 AM
You admitted no fault with "I have no answer" remember anything you say can and will be used against you. You complied with the minimum information needed...wish I could have been that cool headed in my younger days.

But 100 yards!?! or is it 100 feet? dam 100 yards is a long way.

I thought he said yards... It may have been feet. Probably is feet...

Uriel999
01-27-2010, 01:19 AM
nice dude! Way to be!

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 01:24 AM
I love that you guys get this! :)

specsaregood
01-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Way to remember to turn that domelight on, they love that.

Reason
01-27-2010, 02:00 AM
You did not need to tell him where you were coming from or where you were going.

purplechoe
01-27-2010, 02:08 AM
You did not need to tell him where you were coming from or where you were going.

also true, not to incriminate yourself in case your type of car/ color was involved in a crime (accident, robbery, etc.) in the area you were coming from...

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Hahaha... All well and good, but I had an airtight alibi for the 5 1/2 hours before I was pulled over. I showed up for my class at 1700, an hour early, and was flirting with two of the female receptionists from 1700-1800. I was in a class from 1800-2200. And it takes a half hour drive to get to where I was...

Unless he really wants to question the word of a lawyer/instructor and several of his students (me being one among them), not to mention their building's CCTV...

I knew I'd win on that one if there was even a whiff of a hint of him trying that, so I didn't worry about it.

berrybunches
01-27-2010, 03:06 AM
True story, a young cop pulled me over and when I said I didn't know why he said "because you have a Ron Paul bumper sticker" lol He was making a joke obviously but what was even weirder was that I didn't have my license or insurance on me and he still let me go with a broken headlight warning. I guess he liked Ron Paul!

dwdollar
01-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Where do you live? Surely that cop had something better to do. Either you live in pleasantville or that cop has his priorities all wrong.

BuddyRey
01-27-2010, 03:56 AM
This could have gone very badly for you, but you did four things right that decided the encounter in your favor;

1. You only partially cracked your window. This ensured that the cop couldn't stick his nosy, busybodying face into your car and see or smell something (or just claim he saw or smelled something) that could have put you away.

2. When the officer asked you, "do you know why I pulled you over", you answered no. You have no obligation to answer affirmatively when a cop asks you a question like this. To do so is to voluntarily surrender your Fifth Amendment right of refusing to incriminate yourself.

3. When the officer asked you "did you know that (so and so) was illegal", you also answered no.

4. You were respectful and didn't act in a suspicious or abrasive way, but you remained tight-lipped and didn't volunteer any information.

There are a lot more tips like these in this must-see video on surviving police encounters.

YouTube - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA)

purplechoe
01-27-2010, 04:59 AM
the "cool" way in which the OP handled the situation reminds me of... Swayze in Roadhouse... :D

"be nice"

YouTube - Roadhouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPVOhHhwnk)

...RIP :(

nobody's_hero
01-27-2010, 05:40 AM
What tin-pot authoritarian third-world-country-of-a-city do you live in where they have such frivolous traffic laws?

Around here, people don't signal until they're all the way through the intersection, and you practially won't get pulled over unless you're waving a gun out the window shooting at random objects.

EDIT: Oh, Portland. lol

angelatc
01-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Wow. It's really a pretty sad state of affairs in America when we can celebrate the fact that one of our own survived a traffic stop.

Anti Federalist
01-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Wow. It's really a pretty sad state of affairs in America when we can celebrate the fact that one of our own survived a traffic stop.

Thread winner!

Unfortunately...

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 09:29 AM
True story, a young cop pulled me over and when I said I didn't know why he said "because you have a Ron Paul bumper sticker" lol He was making a joke obviously but what was even weirder was that I didn't have my license or insurance on me and he still let me go with a broken headlight warning. I guess he liked Ron Paul!

That, or he realized he had just handed you an open-and-shut First Amendment win.

Krugerrand
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM

I can't seem to find it now ... but somewhere in RPF-land there was something that suggested having an attorney write a letter that is kept with the owners card / insurance card stating that you've been instructed to answer any questions only through the representation of your attorney.

I think it was inside a video.

foofighter20x
01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
So it hit me as I was driving home today: the cop's question is a pregnant statement. "Did you know what you did was illegal?"

Answer in the affirmative, and you admit guilt.

Answer in the negative, and you still admit guilt.

Watch:

"No, I didn't know what I did was illegal." = "What I did was illegal. I just didn't know it was." And we all know ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Either answer elicits a confession.

I beat you at your own game, fuckers! :D

DamianTV
01-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Nice on keeping your hands on the steering wheel. If you have tinted rear windows, and power windows, roll em down before he walks up, at least crack em a bit. Pull down your pants and spread your... oh, wait, thats me when I get pulled over. Lucky bastard!

MurrayMe
01-27-2010, 06:41 PM

hahah I love this! But yeah, good job!

Anti Federalist
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
So it hit me as I was driving home today: the cop's question is a pregnant statement. "Did you know what you did was illegal?"

Watch:

"No, I didn't know what I did was illegal." = "What I did was illegal. I just didn't know it was." And we all know ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Either answer elicits a confession.

I beat you at your own game, fuckers! :D

+1

MN Patriot
01-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Here you go:
YouTube - Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8&feature=PlayList&p=43CCC6FA37E83BF2&index=0)

KCIndy
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM

My answer: "Oh yeah? Says who??"

No wonder I always end up with a ticket! LOL

>>>>>>> ...................... <<<<<<<<<<<

Okay, I'm kidding. But seriously, in this case, if it had been me I would have had a REAL hard time not being sarcastic about the turn signal distance, especially if there had not been any one behind me.

Or was this guy riding your tail at an unsafe distance like a lot of these "Protect and Serve" types are prone to do?

foofighter20x
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
To be honest, I didn't even see him behind me until the lights were on. Of course, it was dark...

John E
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Showing common courtesy and respect has gotten me out of a few tickets.

- Hands on the top of the steering wheel
- Dome light on
- Driver Side Window all the way down (I have tints which might get me an extra ticket)
- When asked, I advise the officer that I am going into the glove compartment for my info.
- And I am polite and use"Sir"

Its good to know your rights, its a good idea not to set yourself up for issues, but courtesy can - and does - go a long way.

fj45lvr
01-28-2010, 01:12 PM
shouting out profanity??

how moronic.

The guy could have written a ticket if he wanted to for not signaling (nothing you could do about it).

Also the cops are just people, some good and some bad. It's the machine behind them that is screwed....like trying to blame the worker for the crimes of the CEO.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
This was about 30 minutes ago.

*pulled over*

*dome light on [the passenger compartment is empty save the jumper cables and the first aid kit, and my book bag], hands on wheel*

*knock on glass*

*lowered window 1/4*

Officer: "License, registration, and proof of insurance."

*comply*

*he goes back to his cruiser, runs my info, my record is spotless*

Officer: "You know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "No."

Officer: "You didn't signal at least 100 yards before the intersection. You got to the intersection and then signaled. You know that you're not supposed to do that, don't you?"

*trying not to look at the officer like he's an idiot for stopping me only for that*

*thinking of how to answer*

Officer: "Well, you know that's illegal, right?"

Officer: "Where you coming from?"

Me: "The university."

Officer: "What were you doing there?"

Me: "Late class."

Officer: "You been drinking?"

Me: "Nope."

*officer more frustrated i'm giving him nothing to further his investigation on*

*points at my license*

Officer: "This still your present address?"

Me: "Yep."

Officer: "I'm going to let you go with a warning..."

You're god-damned right you will. :D

I've often noticed how the Highway Dept. in Texas will put up a sign warning drivers that there will be a contruction zone beginning 500 yards away and then they will place the sign about 50 foot from it. As I've pointed out before about tyranny, in the old world of propriety and prostitution (pimping and whoring), laws were designed to be exempt for the ruling few, somewhat exempt for the subserviant many, and not exempt whatsoever for the outcaste, untouchable scum that both the ruling and subserviant classes wanted eliminated.
This is why it is best to have and use as little government as possible.

Bruno
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Well done, OP!

*sigh* when I first started driving, it was no big deal to get out of your car and walk back to the officer to ask him what he wanted. I did it numerous times as a teen and the officers never had a problem with it. Now, it is "hands on wheel where i can see them!" "Stay in the car!" "No quick moves or you get shot!"

Of course, that was 25 years ago, and the Drug War-enduced Police State was just gearing up...