PDA

View Full Version : Senator Lamar Alexander says we are "lucky" to have Bernanke

jmdrake
01-26-2010, 10:59 PM
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=31852

While everyone is focused on "Obamacare" and "cap and trade", another crucial vote is coming up. And in this vote the battle lines are not evenly split by party. Ben Bernanke has been nominated to another term for the federal reserve. Remember this is the same Ben Bernanke that misled Bank of America in the Meryll Lynch deal and also (allegedly) threatened the CEO of Bank of America with removal if he didn't go along with it. Recently Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky) raised questions about Bernanke's involvement in the AIG bailout. Email revelations show that Tim Geithner's handling of the issue was incompetent at best and criminal at worst. By advising AIG to hide the fact that it was paying face value for junk debt intruments, the Fed created a "backdoor bailout" for creditors like Goldman Sachs. Against this backdrop is the ongoing movement to demand transparency by an audit of the Fed. This needed now more than ever, as Bernanke has been lending trillions in taxpayer money and yet won't even say who is receiving it. Even though Bloomberg won a ruling on this, the Federal Reserve is still stalling through appeal.

So it is baffling that Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tn) would give his full unqualified blessing to Ben Bernanke and say "We're lucky to have had him". Lucky? According to the FDIC (You know. The organization tasked with protecting depositors?) the Federal Reserve caused the crisis!

Senator Jim Demint has the right idea. He has put a hold on Ben Bernanke's nomination until there is a vote auditing the Federal Reserve. If 39 other senators will stand with him we may get some accountability back in Washington. If they will stand with him. Back in Dec, Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tn), said Bernanke's nomination was "not a done deal". Let's hope not. More recently Sen. Corker acknowledged that the AIG scandal had "clouded the issue". Concerned citizens should contact senators like Corker who are on the fence, as well as solid backers of Bernanke like Alexander, and let them know that we care about honesty and transparency in banking and Bernanke represents a problem, not a solution. Remember, they are voting on this on Thursday!

awake
01-27-2010, 05:21 AM
That is like a doctor telling his patient that you're lucky to have cancer.

John of Des Moines
01-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Unlucky that is.

Elwar
01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Ron Paul for head of the Reserve.

catdd
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
See this is why I didn't even bother when C4L asked me to contact Lamar and Bob Corker.
Would have had more luck trying to leap over the Sears tower.
They absolutely have to be voted out of Tennessee.

Bruno
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM

First day on the job agenda: start dismantling the Fed. :)

jmdrake
01-27-2010, 10:24 AM
See this is why I didn't even bother when C4L asked me to contact Lamar and Bob Corker.
Would have had more luck trying to leap over the Sears tower.
They absolutely have to be voted out of Tennessee.

I'm not sure why contacting Alexander and Corker and voting them out are mutually exclusive. I occasionally write Jim Cooper even though I know that won't do any good either. But congressman Cooper is dumb enough to write back with his snarky "I know better than everyone else on the planet" style. What's the saying? Everything you say can and will be used against you? ;)

Corker looks like he's riding the fence and he may go our way given enough pressure.

Oh, I forgot to post the entire article from NPR earlier.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/sen_alexander_on_case_for_bern.html
His good friend, fellow senator and GOP standard bearer in 2008 disagrees, but Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., is firm in his support of confirming Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to a second, four-year term.

"We're lucky to have had him at that job at a time when we very nearly slid into a great depression," he told All Things Considered host Robert Siegel today:

We reported yesterday about the announcement from Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., that he will vote "no" on Bernanke's confirmation. McCain believes Bernanke needs to be held accountable for the conditions that plunged the economy into one of its worst recessions in decades, starting in December 2007.

So how are things looking for Bernanke? Since the weekend, when there was talk that enough Democrats might go against the president's wishes to sink Bernanke's confirmation, the conventional wisdom has shifted back to where it started -- that he likely will get the OK.

According to a "whip count" at The Hotline's On Call blog, there are now 44 confirmed "yes" votes for Bernanke, 19 confirmed "no" votes and 37 senators who haven't yet expressed their wishes.

Much more from Robert's conversation with the senator will be on today's edition of ATC. They talked in particular about what Alexander wants to hear from the president during tomorrow's State of the Union address.

HOLLYWOOD
01-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Neither Senator Alexander or Corker are up for re-election this mid-term election.

Bob Corker is up in 2012

Lamar Alexander is up in 2014

Tennesseans will log forget the voting records when these to criminals are up for re-election.

catdd
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
After the second TARP I rode around for a month with LAMAR ALEXANDER AND BOB CORKER ARE TRAITORS written on my rear windshield.
But C4L just called again asking me to contact those two shills so I may as well do it.

jmdrake
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM
After the second TARP I rode around for a month with LAMAR ALEXANDER AND BOB CORKER ARE TRAITORS written on my rear windshield.
But C4L just called again asking me to contact those two shills so I may as well do it.

Good for you! We don't have a shot at either of those two jokers this year unfortunately. I'll do what I can when we do.

jkr
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
who is this "WE"?!?!?!?!?!?
he aint talking aboot you & me folks...

yes, THEY are "luckee", here is to it running out reeeaalll soon.

we, us(liar speak0 = "them", "they" (concerned person speak)

he is talking to all the sociopath control freak people who claim to be running the ENTIRE planet, AND DO NOTHING to be feed other than tell 95% of humannity to pay for thier lunch.

it is gonna end u parasites!

RyanRSheets
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM

I would hope it wouldn't corrupt him like it did Greenspan. Of course, that assumes Greenspan was ever honest in the first place.

catdd
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I contacted Alexander but I just can't stomach the thought of asking Corker for anything.
Sorry.