PDA

View Full Version : Top 12 GOP candidates that might challenge Obama

Elwar
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/2012/2012-election-twelve-gop-candidates-challenge-obama/story?id=9638302&page=1

Mitt Romney
Sarah Palin
Tim Pawlenty
John Thune
Haley Barbour
Mike Pence
Newt Gingrich
Mike Huckabee
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Rick Santorum
George Pataki

Ron Paul:

Pro:: The representative from Texas is weighing another run for president if the country's economy does not improve before the start of the nominating process. Paul, an OB/GYN doctor by trade, has delivered more than 4,000 babies. He surprised political observers in 2008 by outraising several of his better-known GOP rivals. Paul's legion of devoted followers were drawn to his record of backing low taxes, free markets, sound money and a noninterventionist foreign policy.
Con: If Paul runs for president again in 2012, he will be forced to compete with former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson for the support of Libertarian-leaning Republicans. Paul would also be the oldest candidate in the field: He will be 77 by the next presidential election.

Gary Johnson:

Pro: The former New Mexico governor is positioned to build on what Rep. Ron Paul tapped into in 2008. Johnson believes in less spending, lower taxes, and a noninterventionist foreign policy. As governor, he vetoed 750 bills, a total that at the time was more than that of the other 49 governors in the U.S. combined. An early opponent of the Iraq War, Johnson has been vocal about his opposition to President Obama's surge of troops in Afghanistan, saying it will cost more American lives and not solve the terrorist threat.
Con: Johnson's outspoken support for legalizing marijuana may help him raise money among advocates of that position but it could also limit his support among Republicans who might otherwise be drawn to other parts of his small-government agenda. Johnson may also be hampered in the GOP primaries by his support for abortion rights.

Krugerrand
01-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Where's John Mackey on that list? I haven't given up on him and hope we can have a Draft John push. Perhaps even if he can be available as a VP.

Let's stack up on Liberty candidates early. Then we can pick a horse to finish the race.

Pro:
* Excellent executive experience.
* Proponent of Austrian Economics
* Conversion experience from an anti-capitalistic youth could help others on the journey.
* Whole Foods connection can bring in the organic eating crowd.
Cons:
* Owns a ranch in Texas.

Bruno
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
How about anything on this list above Healthcare, which he claims Americans find most important?

http://i47.tinypic.com/do6fio.jpg

Elwar
01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Let's stack up on Liberty candidates early. Then we can pick a horse to finish the race.

I agree, the more the merrier.

They shouldn't be saying "will this candidate split up the Libertarian Republican vote".

They should say...it appears that the libertarians have taken over the GOP lineup.

I don't see why they don't say "Con: Romney will split the Palin, Pawlenty, Gingrich, Huckabee pro-war vote".

MelissaWV
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
How about anything on this list above Healthcare, which he claims Americans find most important?

http://i47.tinypic.com/do6fio.jpg

The Paul post seemed to be about the economy in that he cites a lack of improvement as motivation to run. :)

In fairness, polls are icky. Notice that "health care" and "Medicare" are two different categories. They aren't different to a lot of people.

Krugerrand
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree, the more the merrier.

They shouldn't be saying "will this candidate split up the Libertarian Republican vote".

They should say...it appears that the libertarians have taken over the GOP lineup.

I don't see why they don't say "Con: Romney will split the Palin, Pawlenty, Gingrich, Huckabee pro-war vote".

Had Giuliani not dropped out early, McCain would not have won the primary. They were pulling from similar voters. You have to be careful with it. But ... think how helpful it would have been in those early debates if more voices would have supported Ron Paul's insights. Imagine if somebody would have followed up on McCain that he had no knowledge of the Presidents Working Group on Financial Markets and made him look like the fool he is.

Bruno
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
The Paul post seemed to be about the economy in that he cites a lack of improvement as motivation to run. :)

In fairness, polls are icky. Notice that "health care" and "Medicare" are two different categories. They aren't different to a lot of people.

True. But where did they get that comment from? I haven't heard Ron say that, and if he did, it would be common knowledge here. "The representative from Texas is weighing another run for president if the country's economy does not improve before the start of the nominating process"

"Con: Paul would also be the oldest candidate in the field: He will be 77 by the next presidential election. "

I'm sure Paul won't let the lack of experience of the other candidates be a campaign issue for him. ;) :D

Krugerrand
01-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Another vote for icky. Health care, Medicare AND Health Insurance are all separated. The Economy and Jobs are separated ... yet those too are essentially the same thing.

fisharmor
01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
WOW... you know that the liberty movement has made progress, because RP's photo on this article doesn't make him look like he's taking a particularly difficult shit. He's actually smiling!

I like this part...

Con: Romney, who dropped his support for abortion rights as he got closer to his 2008 presidential run, faces lingering questions about his authenticity. There also remain certain evangelical Christians who are not sure if a Mormon qualifies as a Christian.

No, the only "Christians" who don't know if Romney qualifies are the ones who are ok with abortion and are in favor of gay clergy. In other words, Democrats who wouldn't vote for him anyway.

someperson
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't see the word quixotic! Amazing! Amazing! ;)

Bruno
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't see the word quixotic! Amazing! Amazing! ;)

:D That is what progress looks like.