RonPaulFanInGA
01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/32015.html

erowe1
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Good news. Thanks for posting.

Aratus
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
have to ask... what does this do to stutzman's chances?
the above sentense sorta has me sounding as if i understand
a dynamic. if mr. pence is a "hay-penny" short in terms of campaign funds...

erowe1
01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd say this helps Stuzman overall, but not by a lot. With Pence in the race I would have expected to see the full force of the party leadership get behind him in the primary. Without him in the race I think the party leadership will for the most part default to the position of remaining neutral in a primary. Stutzman is definitely the more establishment candidate, but without the same advantages in name recognition and electability that Pence has, I don't think they'll roll out the red carpet for him.

erowe1
01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Then again, if this guy's representative of the party establishment (and the comments suggest he might be), I could be wrong.
http://race42008.com/2010/01/26/with-pence-out-marlin-stutzman-could-be-the-man-for-indiana/

One of the issues they bring up is fund raising. Hostettler has never accepted PAC money. It would be good if we as a movement can help ameliorate that.

For people on the fence about Hostettler, see my thread here called "Hostettler's Dissents."

moonshineplease
01-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Then again, if this guy's representative of the party establishment (and the comments suggest he might be), I could be wrong.
http://race42008.com/2010/01/26/with-pence-out-marlin-stutzman-could-be-the-man-for-indiana/

One of the issues they bring up is fund raising. Hostettler has never accepted PAC money. It would be good if we as a movement can help ameliorate that.

For people on the fence about Hostettler, see my thread here called "Hostettler's Dissents."

good research nice work.

TCE
01-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Hostettler is considered the Republican front-runner right now. In a perfect world, we could make it so other candidates are discouraged from joining. I believe the establishment will back him if he wins the Primary.

erowe1
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Hostettler is considered the Republican front-runner right now. In a perfect world, we could make it so other candidates are discouraged from joining.
I think it's too late for any other candidates who haven't already been actively gathering signatures around the state to jump in. In Indiana you need 500 signatures per each of the 9 congressional districts certified by Feb. 16th. Pence could have done it because he has a large enough existing statewide network of support, but I don't think any other potential contender who hasn't already been working on that for awhile does. And it won't be long before even someone who does have that kind of network wouldn't be able to pull it off in the time remaining. Stutzman and Hostettler will both be on the primary ballot. I don't know yet if Behney and Bates will. Both of them have been campaigning and working on those petitions for several months now. So it's no longer a matter of whether or not anyone new decides to run, it's whether people who already made up their minds to run some time ago will make the filing deadline.

I believe the establishment will back him if he wins the Primary.
I think that's true. But there are different kinds of support. The conventional wisdom before last weekend's poll was that neither party would spend any extra money on this race, since it was considered a foregone conclusion that Bayh would win. However, had Pence entered the race, I'm sure that part of what went on in his conversation with the NRSC was them assuring him that they'd spend money to help him. I doubt that Hostettler has a guarantee that they will for him.

KCIndy
01-26-2010, 09:41 PM
In Indiana you need 500 signatures per each of the 9 congressional districts certified by Feb. 16th.

Speaking of which, anyone living in Indiana can sign Hostettler's petition to be on by ballot:

http://www.johnhostettler.com/petition/

I figure it can't hurt... just signing the access petition doesn't commit one to voting for the guy.