PDA

View Full Version : Why You Should Abstain from the Census

disorderlyvision
01-25-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.fr33agents.com/2004/why-you-should-abstain-from-the-census/

Being a big Boston T. Party fan (based on his work, particularly Boston’s Gun Bible and Molon Labe! and our interaction at the last Liberty Forum) I was excited to read his newest book, One Nation, Under Surveillance to see what tactics he advocates individuals take to protect their privacy from Big Brother. Though Boston tackled this issue in Bulletproof Privacy, after more than a decade, that book was dated due to fast-changing technology and the ever-expanding Big Brother.

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that while reading One Nation I was struck simultaneously by feelings of empowerment and worry. For example, though I was aware of sweeping surveillance programs used by the Feds (Carnivore, ECHELON, the NSA’s direct access to AT&T’s servers etc.) the book disclosed even more privacy-usurping programs such as the Digital Collection System Network (DCSNet), which, according to a Wired.com source Boston cites “connects FBI wiretapping rooms to switches controlled by traditional land-line operators, internet-telephone providers and cellular companies.”

One Nation goes in depth about how you can take steps to protect your privacy in the areas most prone to government intrusion: ID, online, phone, mail, financial transactions, travel and more. Though many of the steps are admitted time-consuming ask yourself: What is my privacy worth?

One chapter I found particularly timely was “The Census and ACS” in which historical examples were used to underscore how census information collected by governments for supposed benign reasons was later utilized to commit massive violations of individual rights. For example, Reinhard Heydrich (thought by some to be Hitler’s successor before he was killed), who was the Nazi’s point-person in the eastern territories they had seized, claimed that “the census documents provide the basis for evacuation.” The same was true for those the Nazi’s deemed “undesirable” in Germany and other areas they occupied. It’s fair to say that without such information the scale and precision of the so-called Final Solution would not have happened.

Here in the “land of the free,” after that Statist bastard FDR issued Executive Order 9066, the Census provided the Army with records to facilitate the internment of over 110,000 Japanese-Americans. And a century before that census information was used by Sherman as he led the Union Army through Georgia on persons-killing property-destroying rampage. According to Sherman:

The closing scene of our recent war demonstrated the, value of these statistical tables and facts, for there is a reasonable probability that, with them, I would not have undertaken what was done and what seemed a puzzle to the wisest and more experienced soldiers in the world.

Boston rightly concludes:

By providing reams of information, the census allows politicians to further manipulate people’s lives. The more information government collects, the more control government can exert.

My suggestion to you? Pick up a copy of One Nation, Under Surveillance to become more-informed. Don’t fill out any government paperwork and refuse to talk with Census employees if they call or come to your door. Don’t get lulled into compliance by the $340 million marketing campaign the Census is waging this year – including two Super Bowl ads and a road tour (hey minarchists, where is that allowed by your holy constitution?).

You wouldn’t disclose any of the information requested on the ever-expanding census form to a complete stranger so why give it to a group with such a terrible track record that claims a monopoly on the use of violence? One that, as we’ve seen, is ever-ready to utilize the information to propagandize “us vs. them” scare tactics to distract individuals from the problems they’ve caused or exacerbated. Seems to me the real threat are those who claim a right to you and your property.

For a thorough overview of One Nation, check out Michael Hampton’s review of One Nation over at Homeland Stupidity.

Danke
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Circular file is a good place for them.

acptulsa
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Answer the census. Give them the Constitutionally required nose count, and ensure you get proper representation. The Constitution can't take care of itself, and we don't get representation by hiding out.

But when they ask one question more than the Constitution requires for proper representation, tell them they just overstepped their bounds and are no longer welcome on your property. That simple. The Constitution does not require you tell them what brand of toothpaste you prefer!

MelissaWV
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
It should be split into two parts. There should be a top section where you enter all your "CIA Factbook" type data (and even that is over the line, IMO), then a nice little pamphlet where you can tell them all about their other idiotic questions.

# of people in the household
Genders
Ages

Everything else.

johnrocks
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Answer the census. Give them the Constitutionally required nose count, and ensure you get proper representation. The Constitution can't take care of itself, and we don't get representation by hiding out.

But when they ask one question more than the Constitution requires for proper representation, tell them they just overstepped their bounds and are no longer welcome on your property. That simple. The Constitution does not require you tell them what brand of toothpaste you prefer!

My thoughts exactly!

disorderlyvision
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Answer the census. Give them the Constitutionally required nose count, and ensure you get proper representation.

hasn't the number of representatives been frozen? seems the census is no longer used for its constitutional purpose of adding/subtracting representatives, and therefor has no legitmate purpose

acptulsa
01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
hasn't the number of representatives been frozen? seems the census is no longer used for its constitutional purpose of adding/subtracting representatives, and therefor has no legitmate purpose

Well, that's a point. But that frozen number of representatives is still apportioned according to population, and they still need an accurate count to get that apportionment in the correct ballpark.

We don't fix problems by disengaging from them, either. We fix problems by getting our hands on them. In other words, don't give them excuses for their failures. "Well, we tried, but the Constitutionalists torpedoed us by disobeying the Constitution" isn't exactly what we need people saying about us. Especially not if it's true.

disorderlyvision
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, that's a point. But that frozen number of representatives is still apportioned according to population, and they still need an accurate count to get that apportionment in the correct ballpark.

We don't fix problems by disengaging from them, either. We fix problems by getting our hands on them. In other words, don't give them excuses for their failures. "Well, we tried, but the Constitutionalists torpedoed us by disobeying the Constitution" isn't exactly what we need people saying about us. Especially not if it's true.

im not quite following your logic here. care to expound? it seems to me that the census is no longer being used for its constitutional purpose, thus it is unconstitutional, therefore "constitutionalists" need not worry about violating the constitution for not filling out an unconstitutional census.

acptulsa
01-25-2010, 02:27 PM
im not quite following your logic here. care to expound? it seems to me that the census is no longer being used for its constitutional purpose, thus it is unconstitutional, therefore "constitutionalists" need not worry about violating the constitution for not filling out an unconstitutional census.

Well, it's a fine line. The information--the nose count, that is; the one part of this census that really is called for by the Constitution--is indeed used for apportioning representation. That's the purpose of this constitutional requirement, and it is still used for that.

Is the apportionment being done the way it should be done? Well, you know, gerrymandering is playing fast and loose with the Constitution, too...

Seems to me there are better places for civil disobedience. That said, one of the best places for civil disobedience is in all those nosy and uncalled for poll questions attached to the census. And that leads me to one more point--dropping out has less of an effect on politicians than obeying only as far as you are actually required to cooperate and no farther. Do the former and they think you've tuned out, you don't care, you'll let them do whatever the hell they want and won't even bother to vote against them. This doesn't scare politicians. Do the other and you send the message that you're more in tune with the system than they are, they're overstepping their bounds and you know it, and you could well be spreading the word about that. Now, that kind of thing scares the living $#!+ out of the crooked bastards.

I don't want them destroying the system. I don't even want them pushing the envelope, myself. So, I think we should stick by the system--not only stick by it, but show them and our fellow citizens why it can work when it's allowed to. Not give up on it.

LittleLightShining
01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Had this conversation Saturday. The consensus then was that you fill in the Constitutional questions and answer "n/a" for the rest. Questions answered with legally acceptable responses.

kpitcher
01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Anyone have a handy link to a copy of the census form that's been highlighted to show only the constitutionally required answers?

Danke
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Anyone have a handy link to a copy of the census form that's been highlighted to show only the constitutionally required answers?

The constitution doesn't require a State Citizen to do anything, unless you volunteer it.

nobody's_hero
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Georgia stands to gain one representative, according to rumor. I don't know who will be losing one.

The census information gathering has really gotten out of hand. I don't know that I would abstain from filling it out altogether, but if they start getting personal, tell 'em to piss off. :D

lx43
01-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I hate the census its a huge invasion of privacy like everything else the Gestapo govt does. They want to be omnipresent in everything we do, not to mention answer those long forms scare me.

satchelmcqueen
01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
4 is the only answer i plan on putting on the form.

Matt Collins
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=228073