PDA

View Full Version : Obama Unveils Tax Initiatives to Help Middle Class

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703808904575024772877067744.html?m od=WSJ_WSJ_US_PoliticsNCampaign_2

Obama Unveils Tax Initiatives to Help Middle Class

By HENRY J. PULIZZI And MARTIN VAUGHAN

WASHINGTON—Previewing some of the main themes of this week's State of the Union address, President Barack Obama proposed Monday an expansion of the child-care-tax credit, a cap on student-loan payments and other initiatives designed to help the middle class.

At a meeting of the White House's Task Force on Middle Class Families, Mr. Obama and Vice President Joe Biden announced their support for a near doubling of the child- and dependent-care tax credit for families that make less than $85,000 a year. The tax-credit rate would be boosted to 35% from 20% of qualifying expenses.

View Full Image
0125task
Getty Images

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden at a meeting of the Middle Class Task Force on Monday.
0125task
0125task

Faced with continuing double-digit unemployment and public unease over his handling of the economy, Mr. Obama is expected to zero in on economic issues during Wednesday's State of the Union and ahead of November's midterm congressional elections. The proposals he unveiled Monday will be included in the administration's fiscal 2011 budget proposal, set for release in a week.

"Joe and I are going to keep on fighting for what matters to middle-class families," Mr. Obama said at the White House. "None of these steps alone will solve all the challenges facing the middle class... but hopefully some of these steps will reestablish some of the security that's slipped away in recent years."

Under its proposal, the White House says all eligible families making under $115,000 a year would see a bigger dependent-care-tax credit. Families could claim up to $3,000 in expenses for one child or $6,000 for two children. Families making less than $80,000 annually could claim a maximum credit of $2,100, up $900 from current law.

Mr. Obama also proposed limiting a student's federal loan payments to 10% of his or her income above a basic living allowance, requiring all employers to give employees the option of enrolling in a direct-deposit IRA, expanding the "saver's tax credit," and adding $52.5 million to a program that helps families care for aging relatives.

It's unclear how much the series of initiatives would add to the federal deficit, which is expected to top $1.5 trillion this fiscal year. Mr. Obama, who has endorsed a bipartisan congressional panel to address fiscal issues, is expected to address deficit fears in the State of the Union speech.

Under the administration's student-loan proposals, remaining debt would be forgiven after 10 years of payments for those in public service work and 20 years for others. The White House said the monthly payment for a single borrower earning $30,000 who owes $20,000 in loans would be $115 a month, compared to $228 a month under the standard 10-year repayment plan.

The proposed changes to the saver's credit would provide a government match of 50% of the first $1,000 of contributions by families earning up to $65,000 and provide a partial credit to families earning up to $85,000. The tax credit would be refundable under the administration's plan.

The automatic IRA enrollment and saver's credit, were included in last year's budget proposals, though the new version of the saver's credit is more generous.

Republican opposition to the plans is likely to center on the impact of the automatic-enrollment proposal on small businesses, and the overall cost of the measures. House GOP Leader John Boehner complained that none of the initiatives would boost jobs.

"The American people don't need more photo-ops; they need new policies that create jobs. Republicans have been offering common-sense solutions to help create jobs for struggling families and small businesses," Mr. Boehner said in a statement.

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, appearing at the White House with Messrs. Obama and Biden, said the proposals are needed to help people rebuild their savings after the debt-fueled financial crisis.

"This crisis did a huge amount of damage to people's confidence in their job security," Mr. Geithner said.

"Right now, the middle class is nowhere near as strong as it needs to be," Mr. Biden said.

Write to Henry J. Pulizzi at henry.pulizzi@dowjones.com

MelissaWV
01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
For some reason, I don't feel helped.

yokna7
01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
This man is apparently dumber than we had originally thought. Where is this scalpel he spoke of during his campaign? The scalpel that was going to trim spending. I hope he doesn't put a tax on wretching.

Bruno
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
If paying taxes is so patriotic according to Biden, I guess he is saying it is time for the middle class to not be quite so patriotic?

YouTube - Joe Biden: Wealthy Paying Higher Taxes Patriotic Thing To Do (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqgNWRjmAc)

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I would have to say this would lower the amount of taxes I pay. I would not be to upset with this plan as long as it did not increase the tax others had to pay.

I want to see a massive cut of all income tax without the incentives. Because I know that this is a massive transfer of wealth to those who have made massive mistakes in their lives ie having 5 kids and being on welfare.

I guess I am pretty torn because I could use the tax relief this year. I have been pretty much living on savings for the past 3/4 months. I am one of those under employed peeps who owns his own business but unable to find anyone to do business with...

If paying taxes is so patriotic according to Biden, I guess he is saying it is time for the middle class to not be quite so patriotic?

YouTube - Joe Biden: Wealthy Paying Higher Taxes Patriotic Thing To Do (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqgNWRjmAc)

Apparently.

yokna7
01-25-2010, 01:33 PM

The ol' patriotism card, the oldest trick in the book. This is convenient when talking to middle class voters as a guilt trip to excuse raising taxes. Politics 101.

Bruno
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I would have to say this would lower the amount of taxes I pay. I would not be to upset with this plan as long as it did not increase the tax others had to pay.

I want to see a massive cut of all income tax without the incentives. Because I know that this is a massive transfer of wealth to those who have made massive mistakes in their lives ie having 5 kids and being on welfare.

I guess I am pretty torn because I could use the tax relief this year. I have been pretty much living on savings for the past 3/4 months. I am one of those under employed peeps who owns his own business but unable to find anyone to do business with...

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it improves for you soon!

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it improves for you soon!

Thank you. But I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I have had 3 projects to bid on in the last 3 months. There is just nothing to bid on. And the projects I won the bids on have been pulled for one reason or another. I have had my competitors call me asking if there was any jobs they could help me on.

This is why I know the recession is no where near over in my area and just starting to get bad. Because the projects I normally bid on are not breaking ground for another 4-8 months after my bid is due.

MelissaWV
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
In reading this (and related articles), it seems to provide help to my mother (caring for my grandmother), my peers (who took out or are still taking out student loans), and my other peers (who have children they want to drop off at daycare). I still don't see anything for me except another form to fill out (to opt out of a retirement account) if I decide to not be a temporary/contract worker. What I suspect is that I, as a middle-class individual, unmarried (soon as that divorce goes through), without debt... I suspect they'll find some way to tax me a bit more. I doubt I'd get more for paying more, either. I'm already financing everyone else's pet projects and entitlements.

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
In reading this (and related articles), it seems to provide help to my mother (caring for my grandmother), my peers (who took out or are still taking out student loans), and my other peers (who have children they want to drop off at daycare). I still don't see anything for me except another form to fill out (to opt out of a retirement account) if I decide to not be a temporary/contract worker. What I suspect is that I, as a middle-class individual, unmarried (soon as that divorce goes through), without debt... I suspect they'll find some way to tax me a bit more. I doubt I'd get more for paying more, either. I'm already financing everyone else's pet projects and entitlements.

This is exactly why this plan sucks. It rewards those who failed heavily and those who made it pay.

But screw you I want my tax cut :p;) (jokingly)

Original_Intent
01-25-2010, 01:49 PM
This is not the per child tax credit, this is just a tax credit on child and depdendent care. In other words, if you are a stay at home mom/dad and take care of your own kids this does you no good. This is only more of an incentive to get pesky parents out of the home and being good productive citizens, leave the chikd rearing to the professionals.

This isn't a decision reached on any principle, it is just The One scrambling to try to appease the angry public.

MelissaWV
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
This is exactly why this plan sucks. It rewards those who failed heavily and those who made it pay.

But screw you I want my tax cut :p;) (jokingly)

Yes, but depending on the size of your business you will also have to come up with the logistics to implement the retirement mumbo jumbo :p What's sad is that I'd love to help out people/businesses I know are genuinely down on their luck. The money's getting tighter and tighter, though, right before I'm going to move. I've got myself on a spending freeze at the moment lol. What, when I started, was a 1:1.25 or so ratio of USD:CAD is now a 1:1.05. That doesn't seem huge until you consider transfer of a large sum of money. USD $10,000 was going to be $12,500 CAD when I first started saving. Now USD $10,000 is going to be CAD $10,500. Booooo. I still know Obama can mess things up a bit more, too. At this rate it'll be at parity by the time I actually get there :( Yay for foreign bank accounts, at least.

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
This is not the per child tax credit, this is just a tax credit on child and depdendent care. In other words, if you are a stay at home mom/dad and take care of your own kids this does you no good. This is only more of an incentive to get pesky parents out of the home and being good productive citizens, leave the chikd rearing to the professionals.

This isn't a decision reached on any principle, it is just The One scrambling to try to appease the angry public.

I misread the whole thing. Thanks for pointing that out. No help for me unless I can get the mother of my child to charge me for being a stay at home mother.

MelissaWV
01-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Yep. Get rid of your loved ones, go be a good worker bee. Get into debt. Save for retirement... but please use THIS system. The Obama credo: You're free to do whatever we like.

acptulsa
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Jump through hoops and you'll be rewarded. Get yourself in debt and have kids before you pay it off and we'll pretend to bend over backwards for you...

Do it the unapproved way and no one in Washington will like you.

Gleaner
01-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm getting tired of paying people to have kids. How about the child tax credit for the first 2 but after that nothing. We're paying people to breed.

Same with the college tax credit. College education is not a right, it's a priveledge. If you want to go to college then work your way through. I'm tired of paying your college bill.

rpfan2008
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Only the aliens are left now.

Cinderella
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
whos Joe Biden?

yokna7
01-26-2010, 09:54 AM
whos Joe Biden?

The old man........ya know the one who has a medical excuse for his incompetence.